Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Savvy Shoppers
|

Product Testing

I see a lot of comments on reviews that people received the product for free in exchange for an honest review… how does this happen? 

Appreciate any insight!

Re: Product Testing

I been receiving couple free products to test from free testing sites after you just leave your reviews after testing the products like bizz agent & couples other sites,you can google free testing products 

Does anyone know how you can sign up to get these free products sent to you in exchange for an honest review? I love filming reviews on my social media, and I would love to type some up for sephora!

I am looking for the same help!

@glowwithamb @JennyK28  Sephora BIC* mods/admins sometimes select BIC members to receive gratis. I don't know the exact criteria, but it helps if you actively participate on BIC: post and/or comment in threads, add photos to the Gallery, etc. Apparently you don't need a specific BIC rank (Rookie, Rising Star, etc.) to be selected; I think I was Rising Star or Go-Getter the first time Sephora gifted me a product, and I've seen Rookies get gratis. Just play nice with other members and participate on a fairly regular basis, and you might be chosen for future product freebies in exchange for an honest review. 

Also, I doubt negative reviews kick you off Sephora's "gratis list," so to speak. I've dinged some gratis products hard in my reviews, including one Sephora Collection product in particular. So there's no point leaving a dishonestly glowing review just to receive more Sephora-gifted freebies. 

*BIC = Beauty Insider Community, the online forum you're reading right now. 

thank you so much for your help! i'll definetly have to stay more active on here:)

Oh wow this is super helpful and inciteful! I really appreciate you taking the time to explain this to me. Thank you so much love!

I belong to many of those programs where they send you a free product in exchange for a review.  The majority of us do in fact give an honest review, but I do agree, there are some who will give a bad product a 5 star review because they think it will keep them in the program.  We do not get removed from the program for leaving a bad review, we are suppose to be honest.  Those programs are no different then the "gratis" here on Sephora.

I always keep an good eye on Sephora’s offers cause we can receive trial size products if we spend a minimum of $35. And I always ask the beauty advisers at the store if they have any trial size products or free samples! Haha they usually do! So in this case I could write a review based on these trial size products, not necessarily receiving them for this purpose 

Hi 

So we can get free trial products from their stores? 

@Pahadan @You can ask for samples in stores 

I wish we had the option to filter those out when looking at reviews. I want to see a review not possibly biased because it was free. Actually, I wish Sephora didn't even allow them:

@asarch , you can filter them out by selecting "Verified Purchases Only" in settings.

That is just sad then. I went to look at the Farmacy Niacinamide Night Mask. Out of 538 reviews, there is 1, yes only one, verified purchase.

It’s because all the reviews are from employees 

@asarch This is a fairly new product you're looking at... it'll take time for verified purchases to show up with reviews.  

@Sunsetsusie Usually those reviewers have signed up for programs like Influenster and received free product in exchange for reviewing it on various websites. 

Thank you for sharing!

I wish that these reviews were not allowed to be posed on Sephora because they are Influenced by the fact that people are getting hundreds of dollars worth of free products. It takes away from Sephora and I actually buy products elsewhere now. 

@Jodilr While I haven't gotten free product from Influancer like most of the reviewers you're mentioning, I have gotten product in exchange for review from Sephora and I can tell you that they do not all get positive reviews.  Though... I do understand what you mean about a lot of people getting amped up about getting the product for free and that showing in the reviews.  The good thing... you can easily filter out these reviews by clicking on the 'verified only' filter.  Only those reviews of people who made their purchase at Sephora will be shown. I'd also say that if you're looking for reviews on BIC through Brand Threads or Monthly Favourites and Fails you'll get a wide variety of honest reviews as well.

Hey girl I read your comment and was curious, when you tested products in exchange for review from Sephora, how did you get this opportunity? Is there somewhere to sign up? 

Either way thank you!

2 Replies
Conversation Stats
testing