Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Oily Skin

Toner???

I was wondering, is toner really necessary?  Most of them are pretty expensive, and If they are not worth it I would like to save my money for other things.  How much of a difference has toner made for you guys?

Tags:

Re: Toner???

@stilettoqueen An acid toner is an absolute MUST in my routine. It exfoliates, clears pores, evens out skin tone and keeps my skin looking bright. I can’t recommend tarte Knockout Tingle Treatment Toner 5 oz/ 150 mLenough! It’s very affordable compared to a lot of other acid toners. I use P50 as well and Knockout gives me almost the same results at a fraction of the cost. 

RE: Toner???

If u want a non expensive toner get Pixi toners they are pretty cheap. You can find that brand at target and it won’t make you break out. I don’t really know if toner is necessary but I saw it’s a recommendation for oily skin I use it in my daily skin care routine but I have seen no difference with my oil whatsoever

@stilettoqueen I agree that toners can be confusing.  I think it depends on what your needs are and which ones you use.  Some people like them to use after a cleanser in order to get rid of anything left behind.  Personally, I just double cleanser with my usual cleanser if I'm concerned that I didn't get clean enough.

Others like toners b/c they include beneficial ingredients like antioxidants.  I personally use serums in that case.

Other people use them to help with moisture.  I don't have experience using toners this way.

I haven't had good luck with toners, so I've been leery of them.  If you are looking for one, I rec steering clear of those with alcohol.  Best of luck!  🙂

@stilettoqueen I agree! I thought toner was kind of unnecessary at first too, but now I realize it’s a really important step! I use a Clinique 3-step system (cleanser, toner and moisturizer - although I use a different facial oil, daily peel and moisturizer routine). It lasts longer than you think, and is defintely worth it. I use the CLINIQUE Clarifying Lotion 2 6.7 oz/ 200 mL((it is a toner despite the name), and it’s helped with tightening my pores and gets rid of any dry or flaky skin. I have an oily t-zone but have some eczema in the winter, so I use the formula for combo-dry skin. It helps with skin tone, large pores and getting rid of dry skin flakes, which is what you want before applying a moisturizer! I got the 200ml bottle for 20$ CAD (which is probably around 16USD if I had to guess), and it’s gonna last forever. I put a little bit on a Shiseido Super-Soft, 100% Natural Facial Cotton 165 sheetsaand lightly tap it on my face - a little goes a long way, and I definitely have noticed improvement in how my skin feels, the tone, and how well my moisturizer absorbs 

How much you would benefit from using both a toner and an essence probably depends on your skin type, current issues, and other products in your skin care routine. 

Personally I have been looking for a toner to help with acne and, in that regard, I think they can be very important. I know that you can buy toner essences (like a two for one concept) so that might be a way to reduce costs. I honestly used to think that essences were a complete con job... until I started using one that came in a set and I was like omg this stuff actually works. If you are using a relatively expensive face cream, you will definitely notice that you need to use less product if you first add a layer of essence to your face. 

I totally agree with looking to Korean skin care brands for cheaper options with good quality. You don't need to spend over $50 on a toner or an essence, in fact you should be able to pick up both for less than $50 if you look around. Depending on how much layering you do, these will last a long time. I got a tiny travel size of essence from Tatcha and it seriously lasted for almost three months doing one layer twice a day. 

The biggest reason to use these things, in my opinion, is the overall improvement in skin texture. If you have beautifully hydrated and supple skin... well... maybe you don't need it desperately. If you have dehydrated skin, or even just notice more issues in the winter, or if you have rough areas on your skin - well then, toners and essences will make a big difference!

@stilettoqueen I do think toners help in any skincare routine.  The one I use is very gentle on my skin FRESH - Rose Deep Hydration Facial Toner  I think try a sample and see what it does for you.

@stilettoqueen I love using toner and essences. I mostly use Korean brands for those since they tend to be cheap and very hydrating. I feel like they balance out my skin after showering and get it ready for all the other products that go on top. Just be sure to avoid ones with denatured alcohol, which can dry out your skin. American/Western brands often add alcohol to their toners so I tend to stick with Korean ones. 

I think it's very important.  It soothes the skin and makes it receptive to the serum and moisturizer.  A bottle of toner will generally last a long time, you need very little at a time.  I'm currently using Kiehl's Since 1851 Calendula Herbal Extract Alcohol Free Toner 8.4 oz/ 250 mlwhich is $16 and will last me 3-4 months--so around $1 a week for morning and night uses.

The Kiehl's Since 1851 Ultra Facial Oil-Free Toner 8.4 oz/ 250 ml
is also $16 and good for oily/combo/normal skin.  

Conversation Stats
  • 8 replies
  • 4 Hearts Given
  • 9 Contributors
testing