Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Men Who Makeup
|

foundation for really oily skin???

hi lmao i've been wearing product for quite a while and bc of this, i've tried every foundation i could afford until now. although i hoard so much foundation, i still can't find something to keep my skin from getting super oily or one that won't separate on me! any suggestions are so so so welcome lol thanks!

RE: foundation for really oily skin???

This is an issue I have to. I have yet to find a foundation I can wear without blotting throughout the day. ...but Fenty been doing my skin real good.

Estee lauder double wear foundation hands down! Last all...

Estee lauder double wear foundation hands down! Last all day without blotting!

Re: foundation for really oily skin???

julianpat wrote:

hi lmao i've been wearing product for quite a while and bc of this, i've tried every foundation i could afford until now. although i hoard so much foundation, i still can't find something to keep my skin from getting super oily or one that won't separate on me! any suggestions are so so so welcome lol thanks!

Super Oily skin, say no mo' fam. Some of my personal recommendations (as I am super oily as well) and other products that have worked well with my clients.

Skincare:

This is probably the most vital step, as it's the foundation for the rest of you make up. While you could be oily, your skin can also not be getting the moisture you need, and it could be over-compensating and producing excess Sebum (a type of oil your body naturally produces). You want to make sure that you are still using a moisturizer and cleaning your skin 2xs daily- especially if you're wearing make-up. Cleansers, you can use some with salicylic or Charcoal. Charcoal helps to absorb excess oil as well and is naturally anti-inflammatory and helps with the Ph of your skin. The Boscia one is great! As for moisturizer, any gel-type of moisturizers are nice since they absorb faster, and feel nice and lightweight. For oily folks, the Belief True Cream is pretty popular, for good reason. You can also use moisturizers that help control oil like the Ole Henriksen Counter Balance.

Primer(s):

Some great mattifying primers are the Becca Ever matte and the MUFE Step One. Also the Cover FX or Hourglass Mineral Veil. The Hourglass one or the Becca I would recommend for severe oiliness. They are amazing. For the Becca or MUFE you need to warm up with your fingers then pat into the skin otherwise it'll cause your foundation to drag and can look patchy//flaky. 

I would steer away from primer heavy in Dimethicone. It's a bipolymer of silicone, which is what that very slippery feeling is, but with oily skin its a no-go. It creates too much slip and can cause the foundation to move and dissipate.

Foundation//Setting:

The Marc Jacobs Concentrate is a very full coverage very Matte foundation. These tend to run a little more on the yellow side, but they are amazing. The MUFE Mat Velvet is also great. The Este Lauder double wear is amazing as well. One of my all-time favorites!

For setting it varies by foundation, but one tip is to remember is that loose powder helps to better absorb excess oil. My personal fav is the KVD one, but the MUFE is great. You can use a powder foundation as well, but remember that more coverage also means more of the look of make up. A trick is when setting with loose powders, you can press and roll into particularly oily areas. This help marry the foundation with the powder and creates a barrier to prevent the oils slipping through 😉 You can set with a setting spray as well. Urban Decay has a "line of De-Slick" products that are geared for oiliness. The translucent pressed powder is awesome! their setting spray is also great.

For on the go, blotting papers are awesome. Not many folks use them now, but they are still great. If you touch up during the day, just remember to blot away the oil, and not just re-powder. Otherwise, you are simply adding more texture and not taking oil off your face!

Lastly, you might not want to use all of these products at once. It could be overkill for your skin! Try and see what works best for your skin and lifestyle 🙂 

This is a good comprehensive answer.  I would also add the new bareMinerals barePRO liquid foundation, it has great, buildable coverage (medium to full) in a full range of shades.  I have oily skin and this lasts pretty much the whole workday for me.  A suitable morning skincare routine, along with the right primer and setting powder and blotting once or twice a day, can make a big difference. 

When I started using the bareMinerals barePRO liquid, I figured out I had to change my daily SPF to a serum or gel instead of a cream and use a different primer.  (*Even though the barePRO liquid comes with SPF 20, 1) don't rely on makeup to be your primary SPF product because it's not enough and 2) Titanium Dioxide alone is not sufficient for UVA coverage.)  It was a lot of trial and error, but to me, part of the fun is figuring out what makes sense for my own skin, so I encourage you to play around with it. 🙂

Anonymous Insider

try limelight foundation! they’re really good. they don’t get too oily. i recommend them. 

Anonymous Insider

try limelight foundation! they’re really good. they don’t get too oily. i recommend them. 

I had similar issues in my makeup journey. I recommend mixing a mattifying primer with your facial moisturizer. I mix my Hourglass Mineral Veil or Porefessional Primer with my Estee Lauder Revitalizing Supreme Moisturizer (holy grail for me); and then, I put on my foundation. The best ones I have used for oil control, when applied properly, are the Laura Mercier Oil Free Foundation (great for winter/fall, and definitely set this with a powder to lock it), the Matte Bare Minerals Foundation Powder (great year-round on its own without much help), the Kevyn Aucoin Sensual Skin Enhancer (great for summer/spring--very drying formulation, so be sure to moisturize), and the Bobbi Brown Foundation Stick. With any foundation however, be sure to set it properly. I always set my face with either the Laura Mercier Setting Powder or the Beauty Bakerie Setting Flour and a velour puff. Another method I have tried, especially in the summer, is to set my face with powder before applying liquid foundation but after applying my primer+moisturizer. I personally don't like setting mists of any kind, aside from MAC Fix+, because they can make the makeup slide. That's just my personal routine, and its really dependent on the season and the amount of oil you usually produce through the day.

I usually go for any foundations that are water proof such as Makeup forever velvet matte, or Lancôme. I use tarte poreless primer or smashbox original primer these two have been my ride or dies. On my T zone I use toners or essence to help penetrate the skin and follow up with fresh’s nectar moisturizer. Hope it works out?!?

@julianpat I second the possibility of the stick foundation and the milk makeup liquid foundation has also been good for people with oily skin. 

But I think you'll have better luck by switching up your primer to something that helps control oil and looking into an oil controlling powder for on top. The kat von d lock in powder is popular and as i'm sure you've seen people seem fairly into the Fenty Beauty powder as well for controlling oil. 

But I also agree that if you are super oily you may need to switch up your skin care. Also Its expensive but the sunday riley martian toner in the morning before your primer is really good for controlling oil! 

https://www.sephora.com/product/martian-mattifying-melting-water-gel-toner-P410243?skuId=1842244&ici...

https://www.sephora.com/product/lock-it-blotting-powder-P418800?skuId=1914472&icid2=products%20grid:...

https://www.sephora.com/product/invisimatte-blotting-powder-P39784685?skuId=1925932&keyword=P3978468...

https://www.sephora.com/product/blur-liquid-matte-foundation-P421938?skuId=1964998&icid2=products%20...

I personally have had better luck with stick foundations. I have really oily skin, and the Anastasia stick foundation has worked really well for me. I then set with the Kat Von D Lock it Setting Powder to help keep the shine away.

Try a a hydrating serum or primer and see if that can help reduce the oil. Your skin might be dehydrated and needs some juice! I love the urban decay all nighter foundation super matte and water proof! Marc jacobs is also very matte. I love setting my makeup with the hd setting powder from mufe. I also use the farsali unicorn essence as primer. Asks for samples!

Lancôme has a really good med-full coverage foundation for oily skin. I believe it's their Teint Idole cushion foundation. Definitely check it out!

Definitely if you aren't already try a more hydrating skin care routine cause oil usually only appears when your skin is dehydrated. I use "Buffet" an all around serum from "the ordinary" following with a mix of baby lotion and Argan oil (the straight up oil nothing watered down) to moisturize before priming with porefessional from benefit, then I move on to a either lightweight water based foundation (mac face and body) or a demi-matte stick foundation (ABH Stick foundation). Remember to set with a translucent powder in your most oily areas for extra help too those can be anything from the RCMA no-colour powder to the Cody Airspun.... of you can get one of the boujee ones from Sephora (to each their own)... PPS. Carry around either bloating sheets or in my case regular ass toilet paper to blot it helps a lot in emergency situations if all else fails. sorry I rambled for so long but I hope I helped with my personal experience having a grease trap for a face
1 Reply
Conversation Stats
  • 13 replies
  • 4 Hearts Given
  • 13 Contributors
testing