Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

Skincare Advice?

I'm looking for quality products for early 30s skin, with a focus on anti-aging. I have a normal to combination skin type.

What is your morning and night routine? I don't want to get too complicated, so maybe a 2 or 3 step routine for daytime and 1 or 2 steps for nighttime. I'd also like recommendations for a good sport SPF for my face, to use when running or hiking, something that stands up to sweat and isn't oily. What are the most worthwhile products? I've been browsing through products by Ole Henriksen and Murad, among others.

Thanks in advance for your help! I appreciate it.

Re: Skincare Advice?

All the sunscreen advice is great.

From my point of view as an older woman, what I'm very glad I did throughout my life was never to go to bed without an eye cream. This has paid off in spades, as I have zero crows feet and am now over 60. Your eye area will generally wrinkle first, so beware and always wear eye cream.

@thevelvetsun wrote:

I'm looking for quality products for early 30s skin, with a focus on anti-aging. I have a normal to combination skin type.

What is your morning and night routine? I don't want to get too complicated, so maybe a 2 or 3 step routine for daytime and 1 or 2 steps for nighttime. I'd also like recommendations for a good sport SPF for my face, to use when running or hiking, something that stands up to sweat and isn't oily. What are the most worthwhile products? I've been browsing through products by Ole Henriksen and Murad, among others.

Thanks in advance for your help! I appreciate it.

What is unique about eye creams? I just focus on the eye area when applying my night retinol creme.

@thevelvetsun I might be minority thinking that an eye cream isn't necessary! If your retinol isn't irritating your eyes then you'll be fine.  

Eye creams tend to have taken steps to have active ingredients (i.e. retinol, AHA) be less irritating, this could be making the moisturizer thicker and more occlusive, using encapsulated retinol or a lower % compared to the rest of your moisturizer. They are also less likely to produce milia (only a conern if you are prone to milia). A lot of aestheticians and dermatologists will say a targeted eye cream is not necessary but if you want and enjoy using one don't stop! 

The most basic routine that really covers everything is 

• Cleanser
  • Retinol (PM Only and optional) 
  • Moisturizer
  • Sunscreen (AM Only) 

Agreed eye cream is a must!

I have found really helpful advice on the Skincare Addiction subreddit! They definitely have a focus on minimalist routines 🙂 Here is the link: ---

Because of looser regulation on sunscreen in the US I favor Japanese or Korean sunscreen brands (they are better at blocking both UVA and UVB rays). I recently have been using Canmake Mermaid Skin Gel UV SPF 50. It is good for indoors or light outdoors work, but definitely not waterproof or good for vigorous outdoor activities!

I was looking for the exact same things - as I run outside in the sun and want to be able to get ready fast. It’s as easy as overnight serums and daytime sunscreens.

Tinted sunscreens or sunscreen that doubles as a primer are my favorite. EltaMD, Ilia, and Lancôme UV Expert are great, while Shiseido makes a nice 50 spf sunscreen for sports. Ilia’s is fantastic because it has niacinimide, squalane, and hyaluronic acid.

Josie Maran’s pink algae retinoids is my fave overnight retinol serum, and I use it with Glow’s Avocado Melt retinol eye mask. Every other night I use Kiehl’s Midnight Recovery Oil as it’s like a moisturizing hangover cure for your face that makes you look amazing the next day. 100% recommend to everyone, but if you prefer straight-up moisturizers to oils, then Dr. Dennis Gross‘ hyaluronic moisture cushion and Youth to the People reishi/ ashwaganda moisturizers are both fantastic. 

There's a lot of products and 'steps' out there and lotta people say you need to do it all but here's my opinion on only what you need and products that make the most impact in your skincare routine.
Key Skincare products:
-Moisturizer
-Vitamin C

-Cleanser
-Chemical Exfoliator ( I feel physical exfoliators requires too much rubbing and touching of the face)
-a good Peel ( face mask)
-Sunscreen spf 35 or above

I think retinols are a great anti-aging agent in this time, it's great to start as early as you can imo. but do some thorough research or consult with your dermatologist or esthetician about it on top of your skin needs and everything.

-

RE: Skincare Advice?

I suggest talking to a dermatologist to find out more about your skin. For me, I’ve found more useful products at the drugstore (Inkey List, Embryolisse, Bioderma micellar water, Vichy, CeraVe) and some I use more in winter than the summer too. I watch YouTubers that know their ingredients and I read a lot of reviews. For example, I tried Tatcha Dewy cream, and for me it was meh and lasted 3 months. Also factor in people’s reviews! Some brands are known to give terrible customer service - if a product doesn’t work for them they blame the customer for using other products because that doesn’t work with their products. Also what works for one doesn’t work for others. 🙂 Hope this helps

You've got some really good product recommendations here, @thevelvetsun. you might also want to talk to a derm when you can, even if its digitally. You can also check out this thread where people share their routines https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/Skincare-Routine-of-the-Day/m-p/5146142

I really love the Coola face sunscreen.  It's a traditional sunscreen brand and personally I find it's better when you're active than the makeup/skincare branded ones I've tried.  Day to day I use my bare minerals tinted moisturizer with 30 spf but if I'm going to the beach, a hike, run, whatever and not wearing makeup, I reach for the coola.

Awesome! Double endorsement, it's going on my list!!

I totally agree with the Coola sunscreen rec. It is my ride or die sunscreen. I love how it gives a nice dewy glow without being heavy or greasy on my combination skin. I have proably gone through 3 or 4 bottles at this point and stock up on it because not all Sephoras have this in store.#COOLA Sun Silk Face Sunscreen Drops with SPF 30 and Hyaluronic Acid 1 oz / 30 mL

RE: Skincare Advice?

I am in love with Biossance products. Not only are their products clean, but all of their products are of the highest quality and have helped me transition to life mostly without makeup. If you want to keep it simple, start with the squalene + antioxidant cleansing oil, followed by squalene + peptide eye gel, the squalene + probiotic gel moisturizer, and then press just the tiniest amount of the squalene + vitamin c rose oil into your face. It’ll look oily for just a second, but your skin will absorb it quickly. You can do this same routine at night, or bump up the creaminess and luxury by using the same wash at night, the squalene + marine algae eye cream, squalene + omega repair cream as your moisturizer, and the rose oil at night. They have fabulous serums and masks, should you explore the rest of their products. And they just released a new sunscreen.

Re: RE: Skincare Advice?

Thanks so much! Just hearing those names makes my skin feel more radiant!

Elta MD has the best facial sunscreen!

Thank you!! I'll check it out.

16 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 16 replies
  • 39 Hearts Given
  • 13 Contributors
testing