From makeovers to personalized skincare consultations

Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Complexion Club

Setting powder that provides a fresh/shiny finish (rather than a matte finish)??

Is there a setting (or finishing) powder that provides a fresh shiny finish rather than a matte finish that does not congest pores? I want my face to remain fresh and shiny (the clean look) but not have that matte/caked look - almost like the no make-up look while wearing make-up. Think the Meghan Markle glow. I could forego the powder altogether but then I end up looking shiny (the oily type of shiny, mind you) than fresh mid-day instead. I’ve tried the coveted Laura Mercier setting powder but it’s a VERY matte look on me which I’m desperately trying to avoid (and it dries my already parched skin out). Suggestions?!? 

Anonymous Insider

Re: Setting powder that provides a fresh/shiny finish (rather than a matte finish)??

Try the Hourglass Ambient lighting powders! They leave the most beautiful lit-from-within glow! 

RE: Re: Setting powder that provides a fresh/shiny finish (rather than a matte finish)??

@Anonymous You’re the third person to mention these powders so they must be something special! I use the hourglass blushes (the ambient lighting ones) but not the powder. I’ve added the powder to my list to start procuring! Thank you!!

Re: Setting powder that provides a fresh/shiny finish (rather than a matte finish)??

Hi @bethany1021,

If you're looking for a fresh, dewy finish to your makeup, I highly recommend Becca's Hydra-Mist Set and Refresh Powder. It's very different from your average powder. It's not mattifying, in fact, it's moisturizing and has a cooling effect on your skin. It is formulated with 50 percent water, which gives your skin that nice glowy finish. I've been using it for a month now and it's easily become my favorite setting powder.

Stay Gorgeous,

Penelope

RE: Re: Setting powder that provides a fresh/shiny finish (rather than a matte finish)??

@PenelopeBT this is definitely intriguing. I’m going to be looking into this. Anything that will help set AND hydrate is a winner in my book! Thank you for bringing this powder to my attention!!

@bethany1021 As mentioned, the Hourglass powders are great. I personally get an even “shinier” (that’s not the word I want but I can’t think of a better one but you know what I mean!) using the Laura Mercier Candleglow Sheer Perfecting Powder. The trick with that powder is finding the right brush for application. I’ve found that using a natural bristle brush will pick up the best amount of product and give a nice dewy complexion. Synthetic brushes with this powder give a kind of unimpressive result but a natural brush is gorgeous. 

Thank you for that tip!! I haven’t tried the candlelight powder - I’ve added that to my list! What natural brush are you using that you find to be best for this type of application??

@bethany1021 I use the old MAC 138 but all the MAC brushes have been replaced by synthetic versions now. If you can find an old natural hair version, it’s the *perfect* brush for this powder. Probably a NARS Yachiyo brush would be great (or a cheap Amazon dupe! The NARS brush is $55 - I always look for dupes on Amazon.)

Re: RE: Re: Setting powder that provides a fresh/shiny finish (rather than a matte finish)??

@bethany1021 I would second @starsandbucks' idea here. I brought an old natural-bristle Aveda powder brush out of retirement to use with my Hourglass, and get a much better result with it than I did with my Sephora #55 brush. It's a little bigger than the Yachiyo but that's probably the most similar one sold here.

For a dewy finish I use MAC's strobe cream as my primer then set with a setting spray as opposed to powder. The strobe cream leaves a shimmery dewy finish even after you put on your foundation, it is so good!

I haven’t heard of that product. I’ll check it out! Thank you!! 

@bethany1021 I prefer the same kind of look and I've had better luck with using both a setting and a finishing powder than just trying to set with a powder that leaves a more luminous finish on its own.

Right now I set with the Laura Mercier powder, then apply blush, etc., then use an Hourglass Ambient Lighting powder on top all over to finish. This way I can control the finish a little more, and with a setting spray on top I can usually get through a full day without any touchups. 

I'm thinking about giving the Givenchy Prisme Libre a try to see whether setting with that will let me combine both steps, but... not holding my breath yet!

Ooooo! Hourglass ambient lighting powder - which one do you use!? PLEASE let me know the verdict with Givenchy! I am open to ALL suggestions! 

Update: I'm *really* happy with the Prisme Libre as a setting powder; I appreciate the extra bit of color correction (I bought the pastel) and it seems a little more finely milled than the LM, if you're into the super-HD finish. I don't know whether it will show flashback, though. It's not a dewy finish at all, but definitely has more dimension than a mattifying powder. @bethany1021

@bethany1021 I'm really fair (1Y03) so I use Diffused Light (the pale yellowish one)... Dim Light was too dark on me and Ethereal Light (the white one) has more sparkles in it than I would prefer.

I'm really happy with it as a finishing powder. I think I'll only switch away if they change the formula, or if I find something with a more pearlescent/opalescent finish (like the older, slightly less sparkly version). I am going to give the Givenchy a whirl as a LM replacement, though.

After setting with Laura Mercier, finish with Peach Blur finishing powder from Too Faced.  It'll give you that subtle radiance you're looking for.

Wow! I hadn’t thought of that! I always thought that the peach blur powder was a mattifying one. I’ll have to check it out! Thank you for the suggestion! 

Watch their video that explains the difference.  The Peach Perfect loose powder does mattify, but the Peach Blur is a finishing powder that blurs, and color corrects, and gives it this luminous quality which keeps the matte look from looking flat or one dimensional.

Conversation Stats
  • 17 replies
  • 35 Hearts Given
  • 7 Contributors
testing