Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Post in Makeup Is Life

Remembering Where We Started! ๐Ÿ’„โค๐Ÿ’Ž

Who remembers what their first sets of makeup were? Do you have any photos of your small collection or did you go big and bought everything that you could? Do you still go back to your old favorites? I know I started my collection very slow and I still go back to the old favorites. โค I've added a photo of my collection from a couple yearsago, before I moved to a town with a Sephora! In the 90's my mom allowed me to try her baby blue eyeshadow and bright pink blush with a clear lipgloss when I played dress up haha. Then I was all about drugstore make-up back in 2010-2011. When I met my husband in 2012 I was gifted my first eyeshadow palette (Urban Decay- Smoked). Then I found Kat Von D's makeup soon after. Now I am trying more Anastasia Beverly Hills, Two Faced, Tarte, Sephora, etc. โคโคโค

Re: Remembering Where We Started! ๐Ÿ’„โค๐Ÿ’Ž

I just remember being obsessed with the Elizabeth Arden Pure Finish Mineral Powder Foundation Broad Spectrum Sunscreen SPF 20. I used just that for years (literally just over moisturizer before primer was a thing). I kind of want to buy one again to see if I still like it haha. 

I don't have any pictures but one of my friends got me this juicy couture makeup holding cube and all my makeup fit in there and it was so perfect and I felt very fancy. Now all my lipsticks don't even fit in it haha 

I used mostly Lโ€™Oreal, Maybelline, and Neutrogena until I was in my mid 20โ€™s. The first HE palette I got was from NARS on eBay. I discovered Sephora in 2011 and it was love at first sight. Thatโ€™s why I keep making rouge every year๐Ÿคฆโ€โ™€๏ธ

@13CAT13 I also started off with drugstore brands such as Wet N Wild, Maybelline, Revlon, etc.  Then I religiously shopped at MAC for the longest.  Looking back at my purchase history for Sephora, my first purchase were 2 Sephora Collection lashes and a Stilia-After Flow Lip in Vivid Violet back in 2013.  Wow, how time flies!

Best, 

Steph 

This is such a a great thread! When I first started to get into my makeup I remember begging my mom to take me to and purchase the MAC single shadow in Coppering and their Mineralized Blush in Dainty! I never wore it because it was a little much for me, but I was obsessed with the shade! ๐Ÿ™‚ @13CAT13

-Helen

My very first makeup set (lipsticks, eyeliners, and maybe some eyeshadow) was all Revlon and Wet N Wild in the 1980s. ๐Ÿ˜‚ I have no photos, sadly. 

But I can show you my typical 1990s makeup set, because I still use that stuff. 

MAC was my first โ€œhigh endโ€ makeup exposure.MAC was my first โ€œhigh endโ€ makeup exposure.

Number 22 angled brush + eyeliner in shade Coffee + matte shadow in Carbon = my old daily brow kit, back in the days before brow pencils, gels, pomades, and โ€œbrow shadowsโ€ were a thing. I did my brows with these until I found Benefitโ€™s Precisely My Brow Pencil, and that was maybe 2 or 3 years ago. For the hell of it, I tried doing my brows this way a few days ago and wow, was that frustrating! 

Metallic shadow in Amber Lights + matte Carbon + 22 brush + 144 shader brush = my old eye kit. The only thing missing is a MAC or Wet N Wild black eyeliner pencil... Iโ€™m surprised I donโ€™t have either of those in my stash right now. I still use Amber Lights and Carbon on my lids. Also, the 144 is my oldest brush: itโ€™s over 20 years old and all its letteringโ€™s been worn off. The 22 is my second oldest brush: itโ€™s around the same age but has managed to keep its lettering, despite being used more often than the 144. 

The 2 lipsticks represent my โ€˜90s collection of MAC and Urban Decay bullets. I donโ€™t have MAC Media anymore, but it used to be one of my favorite lipstick shades. I do have a vintage re-release of UD Bruise, another old favorite. My lipstick collection was only around 30 lipsticks back then, I think. 

I never wore foundation, blush, or mascara back then. I did wear nail polish often, but definitely donโ€™t have photos of my old bottles. ๐Ÿ˜‚

RE: Remembering Where We Started! ๐Ÿ’„โค๐Ÿ’Ž

Back in September I shared this post to my Instagram stories.. 3 years ago was my first ever Sephora haul! Before that I had only ever used drugstore makeup. Look at me now; VIB Rouge for the past 2 years๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ™Œ๐Ÿป

Re: RE: Remembering Where We Started! ๐Ÿ’„โค๐Ÿ’Ž

Wow, that's amazing to hear! Thank you for being a Rouge client with us ๐Ÿ™‚

-Helen

Re: RE: Remembering Where We Started! ๐Ÿ’„โค๐Ÿ’Ž

@samkeaysxo Congratulations on becoming a ROUGE client with us! That is so exciting. 

Best,

Rebecca 

RE: Re: RE: Remembering Where We Started! ๐Ÿ’„โค๐Ÿ’Ž

โ™ฅ๏ธ

RE: Remembering Where We Started! ๐Ÿ’„โค๐Ÿ’Ž

My first palette was from the Merle Norman in the mall. LOL I remember it as vividly as the day I bought it. Crazy colors that would date me if I described them out loud. My first fancy lipstick was from the Estรฉe Lauder and it was a ridiculously bright carnation pink type shade. I started out a little rough, but Iโ€™ve evolved into a very natural, cool-neutral look. Itโ€™s amazing to think back on the old days! Great topic, @13CAT13 !

@13CAT13 The first high end makeup that I got was from Origins.  They had some beautiful lipsticks that I still wish they sold today.  Eventually I got some blush and am eyeshadow, and a free mascara that was also excellent.  I never shop there anymore, though.  I've browsed very occasionally, but nothing has caught my eye makeup-wise.

I started out by using makeup from Ardene and La Senza. I loved wearing neon bright colours at first with glitter eyeliner and a bit of mascara ๐Ÿ™ˆ it was a look. I then moved on to just nude browns and such by using drugstore quads people would gift to me (I really didn't like spending money on makeup ๐Ÿ˜ฌ). My first "expensive" lipstick that I bought on my own was a Kate Moss Rimmel lipstick that was red. I rarely ever wore it since it was a bit much for me at 15. I then moved on to Yves Rocher makeup which was a step up and I used that until about 2 years ago when I started shopping at Sephora. My first purchases were Too Faced's liquid lipstick in Queen B and a custom Buxom eyeshadow palette ๐Ÿ™‚

(Sorry for the long post) ๐Ÿ˜ฌ

@13CAT13 When I was a teenager the first thing I got was a MAC face powder. After that my collection consisted of Clinique makeup, which actually wasnโ€™t all that great but I didnโ€™t have a job and my family didnโ€™t have that much money so I only used a duo eyeshadow palette in Beach Plum and their face powder and whatever makeup came in the gwp. 

Conversation Stats
  • 13 replies
  • 67 Hearts Given
  • 12 Contributors
Photos3
  • MAC was my first โ€œhigh endโ€ makeup exposure.
testing