Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Makeup Is Life
|

New to makeup

I'm new to makeup and I have many questions. I don't to wear a lot I would just like to wear concealer, highlighter, mascara and I think that's it. I don't know what shade concealer should be in. How light does it need to be? or does it need to be the same color as my skin tone? And what is a good brand to use for concealer? And what is a good brand for highlighter? I also might want to use bronzer but I'm not sure. Should I use bronzer? If so what  brand and how dark does it have to be? I also had a question about dermaplaning. Has anyone done is before? Do you have any tips? And for mascara I had lashes that have no volume and so does anyone have any mascara recommendations for me? also what kind of brushes and tools would i need for applying? 

Re: New to makeup

Hi 👋 

For concealer, you will want to match your skin tone since you are not using foundation. Using a lighter shade is really only for brightening under the eyes in a full coverage look. It looks odd if you are going for a natural look. The NARS Radiant Creamy Concealer  is a great beginner concealer for under the eyes. I also love the Kosas Revealer Super Creamy + Brightening Concealer with Caffeine and Hyaluronic Acid  for that area but it can run yellow. I have olive skin and I still use the “peach” shades.   

Becca makes great powder highlighters. Rare Beauty by Selena Gomez Positive Light Liquid Luminizer Highlight are great for a more subtle highlight.

If you’re not using foundation, I don’t think a bronzer is necessary because you’re not covering up your natural complexion. But if you’re like me and your face is already paler than your body, the Fenty Beauty by Rihanna Sun Stalk'r Instant Warmth Bronzer  is my holy grail and the only bronzer I’ve loved enough to hit pan. The shade will depend on how warm you want it but they match up to the descriptions well (I use medium foundations so I use I$land Ting). I would pick a shade that matches the tannest part of your body, probably your shoulders. 

I don’t know much about dermaplaning but to me it’s just a fancy way to say you’re shaving your face. I’ve tried it a couple times and it makes foundation look better because it removes peach fuzz but I’m not sure of the skincare benefits. 

I have yet to find a holy grail volumuzing mascara that works with my long, thin lashes. So sorry, no suggestions there 😂

I like to use a makeup sponge or my fingers for creams products and brushes for powders. 

@hannahc147 for your concealer shade you have to determine your undertone first are you cool, neutral or warm. 

Rule of thumb for concealer is 2-3 shades lighter than foundation shade but it could be almost the same shade as your foundation If wanted. A good brand is NARS Radiant Creamy Concealer you might not need a concealer but a color corrector. 

For highlighter do you want a cream or powder? You can try BECCA Cosmetics Shimmering Skin Perfector® Pressed Highlighter Opal NARS Highlighting Powder Fort De France or Iconic London Illuminator Liquid Highlight 

you don’t really need bronzer but it is a personal preference GUERLAIN Terracotta Sunkissed Natural Bronzer it should be 2-3 shades darker then your foundation shade so you can see it. 

mascara Yves Saint Laurent The Shock Volumizing Mascara Lancôme Monsieur Big Mascara & Cils Booster Mascara Primer Set Black - 0.33 oz/ 10 mL / Mascara Base - 0.18 oz/ 5.5 mL a mascara primer will help a lot with length and volume

For concealer I like using my fingers

highlighter a fan brush Morphe M310 Large Soft Fan Brush 

bronzer a big fluffy brush similar to TOM FORD Bronzer Brush 05 

you can get cheaper brushes at Ulta. Real Techniques is a great starter brush brand. 

@hannahc147 let's start with concealer, if you are wanting to conceal blemishes or add coverage, look for shades close to your skin tone, if you are wanting to brighten your under eyes, go with a lighter shade. Jouer Cosmetics Essential High Coverage Concealer Pen is a good one or Maybelline age rewind is another great choice! Bronzer would depend on your skin tone, you want it to look like sunkissed skin if that makes sense, I absolutely love NARS Bronzer Powder Laguna or Charlotte Tilbury Mini Filmstar Bronze & Glow Contour Duo 0.12 oz/ 3.5 g lashes, Yves Saint Laurent The Shock Volumizing Mascara tarte SEA Surfer Curl™ Volumizing Mascara Black are two of my favorites!

3 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 3 replies
  • 6 Hearts Given
  • 4 Contributors
testing