Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Makeup Is Life
|

Need overall help with makeup

I'm turning 47 next month and I'm finding my usual go to colors are doing nothing for me. I have pink undertones, some redness on my chin and cheeks, dark circles and eyes that "change color" depending on what I'm wearing. They are a bluish/grayish color. I have normal-to-oily skin and I use a daily moisturizing regimen, I've attached a photo. I only have light foundation, mascara and lipstick on in the photo. Any advice or suggestions, I would greatly appreciate it. 

KAB 2017.jpg

Re: Need overall help with makeup

Hi @dznybelle!

I agree with @jozkid!  Keeping foundation light/minimal and continue ensuring your skin is hydrating.  Doesn't seem like you really need foundation as your skin looks pretty even toned.  If you want to add something to your skincare routine, I'd highly recommend Algenist's Liquid Collagen.  It's very expensive but I think it's worth every penny and you don't need to use a lot.  I only use it at night as it does leave my skin feeling a little sticky and you only need 2-3 drops, so it will last you a long time.  This makes my skin feel plump, soft and more hydrated.

For youtubers who have great hooded eye tutorials, I'd recommend Wayne Goss, Stephanie Lang and Sugar Puff and Fluff.  I too have hooded eyes  as well and watching the tutorials has helped me greatly.

I hope you find this helpful!

Very helpful! Thank you!

Hi there @dznybelle!  Well, I’m about ten years ahead of you, but your coloring (except for hair) is very similar to mine.

First, keep up the hydration. Adding a serum to help prevent wrinkles would be good, too. And if you’re not using an eye cream, now would be the time. That could very well help with any dark circles you may have (though I’m not really seeing them) 😉

As for foundations, I’ve found lighter is better as I get older. Use a little color corrector to cover the redness and then use a light to medium coverage foundation. Unless you have uneven coloring or scarring, you really don’t need full coverage. And your skin looks quite nice to me! It will help keep foundation from gathering in fine lines, too.

Another thing I’ve found is that brighter lipstick colors work wonders for brightening up my complexion. Don’t be afraid to try a bright berry, especially during the winter when you can get pale. Another inevitable thing that happens when we age is our eyebrows get lighter and thinner and it makes a huge difference in our appearance. Adding a little definition and color to brows really helps!

Last thing - your eyes. Don’t get caught up in what’s best for your eye color. Wear whatever you feel like wearing, although coppery colors will play well against blue eyes. You may have to rethink how you apply shadows though. I have to work colors far further up onto my eyes because they’re starting to get hooded. Try applying transition and crease colors while your eyes are open so you can see exactly where it will show. Also I would suggest not using glittery shadows In your brow area.  It accentuates that area and actually can make that area of your eye look heavier and draw it down. Using a flesh tone matte in that area will help keep your eyes looking bigger and more open. 

Ok, that’s a bit of what I’ve learned over the years. I hope that helps a little!  And btw Happy Birthday! You’re gorgeous, doll!

Thank you so much!!! I greatly appreciate your advice. I use all Philosophy skin care products, with the exception of Clinique eye serum during the day. I never know where the best place to put my eyeshadow to not make my eyes look more hooded or sunken in. 

@dznybelle Glad to help!  You may want to add an eye cream to the eye serum as they don’t do the same thing. Extra hydration under your eyes may help out any dark circles you might have

As for applying shadow for hooded eyes, well there must be thousands of YouTube videos to check out. I really like Wayne Goss videos but there are a lot of good ones. Just keep in mind that light colors pull things forward and dark colors make things recede. With hooded eyes your lower lid is starting to get covered by the upper lid. You want to add light to the lower lid to pull that forward and add medium to darker colors up higher on the upper lid to make it recede and look less puffy. The easiest way to see just how far up is to apply that color with your eyes open. It’ll all make sense when you see it being done ! Lol!

Come back and show us when you’ve played around some!

Hi! I'm 49, I really like the formula of the IT cosmetics...

Hi! I'm 49, I really like the formula of the IT cosmetics naturally pretty eyeshadows. They blend beautifully and don't settle into lines.

RE: Need overall help with makeup

Hi girl. Since you mentioned dark circles I would incorporate an eye cream use am and pm after applying your moisturizer. Also for an extra layer of hydration and glow Tatcha has a dewy skin mist it’s natural and great for giving skin that extra boost of glowlyness. As far as makeup applications: Becca, makeupforever hd, Lancôme and Clinique have great foundations to even put your skin and give you that flawless look. If you have combination skin I would stick to a liquid based foundation if you have dry skin I would stick to a powder foundation and make sure to use lots of hydration prior to applying foundation to give your skin a little barrier. Use the dewy mist after you apply the foundation -it will give your skin an extra glow. Also don’t be afraid of moisture some people shy away from the moisturizers and put very little on their skin but now that the weather is dryer it’s good to use thicker moisturizing products and layer them. Serums are also great after cleansing if you are looking for something to even out your skin tone or hydrate or keep breakouts at bay. Keep up with your daily regimen and be consistent with the products you use -sometimes our skin freaks out when we do too much and at other times our skin isn’t balanced because where not doing enough so just pay attention to what your skin needs and be consistent. Also get a really nice mascara Marc Jacobs has a great one and also the brand “two-face” has a great mascara. Something about bold eye lashes that really make eyes stand out and you have great eyes!

Re: RE: Need overall help with makeup

Thank you!

Anonymous Insider

Hey there!

You should use a eye cream to help with any puffiness under your eyes. Use both a eye and face primer before apply anything. Looking at your picture I would suggest a highlighter to make your eyes pop! a liquid or stick works, usually suggest you go 2 shades lighter than your primary color which i'm guessing is probably a light ivory. Then use a setting powder (translucent powder) over your foundation to bake it. Let it sit for a minute so your foundation can set. This will help your makeup from creasing during the day. Also helps your skin from getting too oily by the end of the day. 

Now for eye shadow shades. I myself have blue eyes that change from green to grey. Usually the colors for blue and grey eyes go hand in hand. So if you want to keep it on the safe side I would go with light and dark blues, greys, silvers, browns, tans, shades of purple, and greens. Now if you want to have a little fun then I would suggest light pinks, maroons and blacks. Try to stay away from anything neon, Glittery, Bright reds, yellows, orange, and any other color you don't have in your closet. 

Because of your age, there is nothing wrong with a slight cat eye, with your eye shape i wouldn't do a very large cat eye, but just enough to make it pop. I wouldn't suggest a very dark smokey eye either, because you have sunk in eyes it won't help them pop, so go with a darker shade in your crease but your lid color should be light. Will help open your eyes. Then add a little shade to the bottom corner of your eyes to help them pop even more! Last thing I would suggest a warm blond eyebrow pencil so you can fill in your eyebrows. I hope this is helpful for you!!!

Thanks so much!

10 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 10 replies
  • 7 Hearts Given
  • 6 Contributors
Photos1
  • KAB 2017.jpg
testing