Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Makeup Is Life
|

How do you clean your Makeup brushes?

As I get into wearing makeup, I realize the importance of cleaning my brushes. I bought Cinema Secrets during the sale and though they cleaned my brushes really well, I'm worried just how efficient it was?

In the long run is it okay to clean brushes weekly with Cinema Secrets? Would you recommend using something else?

Whats your favourite way to clean your brushes??

Anonymous Insider

Re: How do you clean your Makeup brushes?

Regular Soap & Water and this

RE: How do you clean your Makeup brushes?

I stay clear from Cinema Secret because it contains alcohol and that will dry out your brush bristles, erode the glue and shorten the life of your brushes and the construction of them over time. I look for cleaners that have no alcohol in them. Sephora brand has some spray brush cleaners that will spot clean that don’t contain alcohol. (at least 1 if not 2) I understand artists using CS when they’re on set and need something really fast but if that’s not your situation I’d personally seek out a brush cleaner with zero alcohol. For deeper cleaning,IT Cosmetics Brush Love is great but doesn’t dry immediately. They also have another one called Brush Bath that I haven’t tried yet. Dr. Bronzers is good but not the best I’ve tried—-Beauty Blender solid and liquid are absolute gold! They are the best I’ve tried without question! Blue Dawn dish soap mixed with a little olive seems to be very popular and I’ve tried it myself many times and thought it worked well. It both cleans & conditions which is the end goal.
Anonymous Insider

Re: RE: How do you clean your Makeup brushes?

Try this. It works surprisingly well! The company has some cool youtube tutorials and use regular soap 😉

https://www.sephora.com/product/sonic-clean-brush-cleaner-P446314?icid2=products%20grid:p446314

Screen Shot 2019-07-14 at 8.20.02 PM.png

All the brush cleaners I have bought have been a waste of money, in my opinion. I have tried everything from bar soap, to dish soap, to Purity, and until recently I was using Dr. Bronner's castile soap. Castile soap is the best makeup brush cleaner in my opinion. I recently started making my own makeup brush cleaner with castile soap and Goat milk. It makes my brushes so soft and cleans them so easily. 

RE: Re: How do you clean your Makeup brushes?

Wow that’s a great tip I’m going to use goats milk next time I clean my brushes

Interesting @NatalieRose41. I might try this. It beats sp...

Interesting @NatalieRose41. I might try this. It beats spending money on the Beautyblender solid. I'm a fan of Dr. Bonners Castile soap.

I actually add Dr. Bronner's in with the other soaps and...

I actually add Dr. Bronner's in with the other soaps and it does an amazing job of moisturizing your brushes. I actually have a couple of the solid brush cleaners for sale if you're interested, from $5-7. I think it works better than the Beauty Blender solid or the cinema secrets. If you message me on Etsy and let me know its you, I will give you a discount. https://www.etsy.com/shop/Music2makeup

Thanks everyone for your responses! I have no excuse for uncleaned brushes anymore

I was taught by an artist how to clean my brushes. I use...

I was taught by an artist how to clean my brushes. I use dawn (blue one) and a tiny bit of olive oil to keep the bristles soft. I also let the dry at an angle so moisture doesn't get into the handle and wear down the glue.

The E.L.F. daily cleanser and shampoo are amazing and sme...

The E.L.F. daily cleanser and shampoo are amazing and smell nice!

@Aaliaa I've really enjoyed using the Sephora Brand daily brush cleaner after each application.  Compared to the Makeup Forever version, the sephora brand doesn't leave an oily residue.  Every 2-3 weeks, depending on the usage since there are days that I don't even touch my brushes, I'll do a deep clean with the Beauty Blender solid.  I bought the Sephora silicone pad and I think it works better than the little scrub pad included in the solid because of the size it gets everything out better.   I have a few very dense brushes that only the slide seems to get deep stains throughout the brush out.  I've tried Dr Bronners and I feel they are fine for fluffy, less dense, synthetic brushes as those tend to stain less overall.

I use dial bar soap for my brushes and sponges. I saw som...

I use dial bar soap for my brushes and sponges. I saw someone on youtube suggest bar soap to get stains out of sponges. It works great for that and brushes.

@Aaliaa I use Cinema Secrets to clean most of my brushes after every use.  The only exceptions are my fan brush, which I just wipe on a towel instead of cleaning once in awhile, and my Chikuhodo travel face brush, since I don't want to clean it too often.

Because of something in the CS brush cleaner leaving a slightly oily residue that builds up slowly over time, I still use a solid brush cleaner (currently using Sephora's) or a liquid brush cleaner (I use Daiso sponge and puff cleaner) at least once a month. It also restores the brushes' softness.

I've been using Cinema Secrets on my brushes for probably 2-3 years and have been through at least 4 bottles of the 32 oz size after Sephora discontinued my beloved daily brush cleaner (it's been re-released I think, but the formula is different) and my brushes are still in good condition.

I am going to tell you my cheap and most common way to clean my brushes. 

I use foamy antibacterial hand soap most of the time.  I wash my brushes weekly. 

I throw all my brushes into the bathroom sink in warm water sink first to break up the product.  Then I use the Sephora solid brush cleaner (it has a little mat to agitate the bristles) - then put some foamy cleanser in my hand and lather up.  Rinse well.  Brush excess water out with a clean towel... then air dry. 

I have used this technique for over 10 years and have brushes that are 5+ years old.  I usually replace them after 5 years ... just because.  Usually because something new and better has come out and I want a new brush. 

I will be watching this thread because I am always interested in great cleansers.  But even when I try new ones, once they are gone I go back to my soap method because I haven't really found anything that is much better than what I am already doing. 

For spot cleaning, I use a Japonesque brush cleaner spray. Just spray onto brush and wipe. For weekly deep cleansing, I use bar soap and a silicone mat also. It seems to work! But, it is such a chore... Have you seen the brush cleaning spinner? I haven't tried it, but it looks very convenient and brushes dry instantly also. 

Thanks @darlyndar @GG84 @ohheyitscindyk @ilovebears @Tamara76! Got myself a silicone brush cleaning pad. I'm going to try dove soap and if it doesn't work try purity.

I'm going to scream it from the roof TOPS...PHILOSOPHY PU...

I'm going to scream it from the roof TOPS...PHILOSOPHY PURITY which will be on sale black friday for a huge size bottle, is the BEST make up brush cleaner i've ever used in my life!!!!@

Re: I'm going to scream it from the roof TOPS...PHILOSOPHY PU...

@GG84 Wow!  My skin does not like Purity, so I always give away all the deluxe samples I receive, but have never tried it as a brush cleanser.  I will have to try this next time I receive one! ❤️

Re: I'm going to scream it from the roof TOPS...PHILOSOPHY PU...

@GG84

You got my attention! LOL

Ok.. I'll try it maybe soon! 

@JillyBeanTx you will LOVE IT!!!!!!

@JillyBeanTX you will LOVE IT!!!!!!
3 Replies
Conversation Stats
Photos2
  • whenihavetowashmybrushes.jpg
  • Screen Shot 2019-07-14 at 8.20.02 PM.png
testing