Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Makeup Is Life
|

Getting judged for wearing too much makeup

Hi guys, So I pretty much do a full face of makeup including lashes every day because that is what I love and enjoy. Sometimes people have opinions about it. Strong ones. What ways have you guys found to help deal with this if it’s an issue for you too ???

Getting judged for wearing too much makeup

Honestly girl. Do you. People will always have opinions about everything . I've seen your makeup looks and they are gorgeous! I know it's hard but just ignore them and do what you want. There are no rules for makeup or for how much or how little you should be wearing. On occasion I get told I wear too much makeup from people who don't wear any (foundation, concealer, powder, eyebrow pencil, mascara, bronzer and highlight) in my opinion I feel comfortable wearing that on a daily bases. Just do what makes YOU happy, and don't worry about what others say. @MamaMiabia

Re: Getting judged for wearing too much makeup

What you do on your own time is your business.  But I will say that not conforming to the "norm" in your workplace can have a serious impact on your career. 

Whether it's right or wrong, it's reality.  I've been in the workforce for 42 years and have seen it all, and know that those who stand out from the rest in terms of make up, hair style, clothing, and grooming are quite often not advancing in their careers as quickly as their equally qualified peers.  This is something that no manager will ever tell you as the real reason you didn't advance, it's something people have to figure out for themselves.

@flamingolegs I couldn’t agree with you more. You should be promoted based on performance and ability but, in my experiences, that’s rarely the case. Sadly, I’ve heard people get talked about in offices in ways worse than high school and managers joining in those conversation. It’s disgusting and wrong but it happens. 

And they are probably ugly, depressed and are too lazy to make up their face.  You don't listen to these people they are Jealous with a capital J.  You are probably gorgeous.  You do what makes you YOU.

I love all the positive feedback on here. I love it when girls (or people in general) get together and support each other!

One thing that ticks me off is what people think counts as "a lot of makeup". I can be wearing three makeup items -- bb, mascara, and an ultra dark lipstick, but that's "a lot of makeup". some girls might like to use a contour kit and six powders on their face every day, *which is fine*, but that doesn't count, I want to wear a streak of KVD's alchemist palette across my cheek bone because I think it's beautiful, and then I'm judged for wearing "too much makeup".

Like most of you, I like to wear makeup .. as art. I don't wear it to hide the way I look, I actually go bare-faced over half the time I leave my apartment. But I love all the bold, beautiful makeup looks out there. And to everyone that wears a full face of makeup plus lashes to someone that never wears any makeup -- something I've learned is that you just need to own it, and eventually the rest of your circle will come around.  

That might sound like vague advice but I mean it.  Like for the longest time I used to feel self-conscious about wearing lipstick.  I thought lipstick was for grown-ups, and every time I put it on I felt like I was trying to be something I wasn't. I think I was 23 or so when I thought to myself, hey, I AM a grown up. And although my look shifts and evolves, currently I never get made-up without a bold lip.  And my friends and family just know to expect that from me, they are never going to comment, whoa, that one is really almost black, isn't it. But even strangers have come up to me and said, not many girls can wear a bright red lip and pull it off, but you look great.  The only thing that changed was how I felt about myself, but it transferred outward to my environment.

If your close friends and family are still giving you comments about what makeup you choose to wear, that is just rude, and you really ought to talk to them directly about shutting right up.  And I hope strangers aren't harassing you, but if you do get the odd comment, I wouldn't insult them, or feel bad about yourself (easier said than done).  I'd smile at them, tell them you feel absolutely gorgeous, and walk on.

xxx

@MamaMiabia wrote:

Hi guys, So I pretty much do a full face of makeup including lashes every day because that is what I love and enjoy. Sometimes people have opinions about it. Strong ones. What ways have you guys found to help deal with this if it’s an issue for you too ???

UGH ME TOO

It used to bother me but I've just accepted that make up is an interest of mine that seems to come along with some weird preconceptions. Whatever. 

I get a lot of "why do you wear so much make up? You look pretty without it" I usually just respond with "I know. " Seems to shut people up pretty fast. 

Make up is an art form. It's great you found something you enjoy. My advice would be to lean into that. There is nothing more awesome that someone doing what makes them feel good, regardless of what others think. 👏👏👏

@MamaMiabia, Honeslty, I've never understood why people feel the need to give others their unsolicited opinion, and typically that's kind of my response.  If they say, "Why do you wear so much make-up?"  I respond with, "Why do you feel the need to give your unsolicited opinion?"  Maybe it's catty, maybe it's not, but neither I, you, nor anyone else for that matter, need to answer to another person taste or point of view.  As others have already said, if you're happy that's all that matters.  🙂

My sister and I are kind of like this to each other... I can't understand why she wears a full face of make-up every day (almost the same exact make-up look for the past 24 years), and she can't understand why I don't 'bother' to wear any for the majority of the time. Other women often see her as a threat, and assume that I'm a lesbian. 

Honestly, I don't think you need to figure out a way to deal with other people's opinions; you just need to be confident in your own decisions. 

@MamaMiabia I get "feedback" because I'm natrually gray haired (my hair color is about 20 years older than I am).  I started graying in my 20's and colored it for years, but stopped.  I get mistaken for a much older woman (even by people older than me) and I get "friendly advice" to color my hair so that I will look my age or younger.  I explain that it's my decision and that I knew going into it that I would be mistaken for being much older.  Yes, it does pinch (ouch!) when it happens (It never happened when I colored my hair), but I stand by my decision. Maybe when somebody comments,  you can say something to the extent of "I understand that everyone is different, but I love it and enjoy it.  Isn't it awesome that I get to do something I love and enjoy?"  

Anonymous Insider

RE: Getting judged for wearing too much makeup

Hey you do you

@MamaMiabia I wouldn't let it bother you 🙂  And remember, many people say mean things b/c inside they're jealous.

I haven't been criticized for wearing too much makeup per se, but for other beauty related things.  Like when I first started waxing my eyebrows in middle school ("Oh -so that's why they look uneven!"), or when I used a curling iron to get some lift on my roots ("Why are you doing that?  You already have curly hair?") or when I brought all my makeup with me on a trip but only actually used a few things ("Why do you wear so much makeup?").  Personally, if I ever see those people again I would be sure to go full-on glam!

Try to focus on the positives you've experienced 🙂

I totally agree with what everyone has said. People will judge you no matter what. All that matters is what makes you happy. If you wear a full face everyday wear it proudly and even when you don't have on a full face, still walk with your head held high. Other people's opinions do not matter and they have no value. Stay looking flawless girl!

Tell them GFY. It's none of their business how much makeup women wear. 

Hi @MamaMiabia,

I would say don't worry about what others think. If being full glam every day makes you happy than DO IT! 

Best,

Rebecca 

@MamaMiabia I wouldn't let it get to you.  Just do you!  If you love a full glam I would rock it!  I wish I could do a full glam everyday.

@MamaMiabia I also would like to applaud you for doing your makeup every day. It takes time and talent to do it. It’s far to easy to roll out of bed and leave the house it takes way more time and effort to do your makeup every day!

People will judge you if you do a full face or if you don’t wear any makeup at all. I don’t let it bother me because if someone makes a comment about my full face and say something rude I take it as a complement because the only reason they are judging me In the first place is because they are jealous or they wish they could look or do their makeup this way. People who judge you aren’t happy with themselves and there is nothing you can do to change that. If it makes you feel good to do a full face do it. Don’t let the opinions of others get to you.
Conversation Stats
testing