Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Makeup Is Life
|

Best, Most, and Worst [2021 Edition]

Another year has passed so figured I'd keep my tradition going and post my Best, Most, and Worst thread. Can't wait to read everyone's replies!

1) Your favorite purchase of the year- why?

2) A purchase you regret- why?

3) Most expensive purchase- was it worth the money? 

4) Most hyped product you bought- was it worth it?

5) Did you spend less, the same, or more than other years? 

6) Rediscovered loves or underrated/underhyped makeup discoveries

7) A product you missed out on or haven't bought yet but really want

8 ) Did your makeup routine change in any way?

9) What makeup trend do you think will be big next year?

10) What was your favorite body product or fragrance?

Here are my answers!

1) Your favorite purchase of the year- why? It's like trying to pick a favorite child. I picked up so many good products this year. Top 5, I would say Natasha Denona Retro Eyeshadow Palette PAT McGRATH LABS Mothership IX Eyeshadow Palette: Huetopian Dream, the Vanity Makeup Cosmetics Signature Palette, and NARS Bijoux and Climax palettes. I had some really cool purchases over Black Friday but I haven't tried them enough to make them favorites just yet. For non-makeup, I bought myself a Coach bag on sale and have no regrets. The outlet is where it's at. 

2) A purchase you regret- why? I don't regret them so much so that I wish they were better formulated: the Melt Cosmetics Mary Jane Eyeshadow Palette and Melt Cosmetics Brunet Eyeshadow Palette . I love the color stories but have issues with the shimmers.

3) Most expensive purchase- was it worth the money? Sonia G Sky Face Set, totally worth it for me.

4) Most hyped product you bought- was it worth it? I would say the Rephr brushes lived up to the hype for me. I haven't washed them all just yet and I'm not sure how well they hold up over time but I was very happy with how they feel and how the apply color.  Another overhyped product I bought is the Thrive mascara, it's just ok for me.

5) Did you spend less, the same, or more than other years? I'm not sure. My purchases over the first half of the year were pretty minimal but I went all out during Black Friday and all the sales, so maybe about the same?

6) Rediscovered loves or underrated/underhyped makeup discoveries Rose Inc blushes, MUFE cream blushes, Roen quads

7) A product you missed out on or haven't bought yet but really want the Victoria Beckham Bronzer in #2 and the Rephr 22 Brush (the large bronzer one).

8 ) Did your makeup routine change in any way? During the first half of the year I didn't use that much makeup but being back on BIC definitely reignited my love for doing full looks. 

9) What makeup trend do you think will be big next year? I think we're still going to see lots of cream products and light bases.

10) What was your favorite body product or fragrance? CLEAN RESERVE Reserve - Skin 3.4 oz/ 101 mL is still one of my favorites for every day. For body, I recently discovered the Biossance 100% Sugarcane Squalane Oil 3.4 oz / 100 mL thanks to a few BIC members and it's a game changer for me. 

Tagging @itsfi @Sunnysmom @faeriegirl @eshoe @Ispend2much6 @curlychiquita @ather @SportyGirly125 @lmaster @haleyvvvv @heavyhedon @RGbrown @sister13 @CookieGirl1 @greeneyedgirl107 @AznAngelLiz @Kim888 @Titian06 

Re: Best, Most, and Worst [2021 Edition]

Thank you @makeitup305 great info. It’s def on my list. I I know @RGbrown has been super helpful in her suggestions for the Jojoba oil and I did get one earlier because of her. 🤗🥰

@makeitup305 @Sunnysmom 

Yup, jojoba is great for nails! It's the oil closest to our own sebum, and the only one the nail itself can actually absorb. Blending it with other oils is great for the skin around the nails, but even just plain old jojoba will do wonders for helping keep the nail moisturized, leading to stronger, more flexible nails 💕

CND Solar Oil is great, it's one I recommend if folks don't want to make their own (and it smells divine!). I'm actually going to stick a little dollop of almond oil in my next homemade batch after loving my little sample bottle of CND 😅

Thank you @RGbrown ! 😘

@greeneyedgirl107 Great post, thanks for sharing. I actually love the Laneige sleeping mask but for some reason the gummy bear scent is so off putting to me. Much prefer the vanilla or berry.

@QueenMarceline I've been wondering about the vanilla!!!

@greeneyedgirl107 It's a good one. I usually use the vanilla during the fall/winter and reach for the berry during warmer months 🙂

@QueenMarceline Well, then I think vanilla should be my next flavor purchase.  I have half a jar left, so I don't anticipate needing any for months and months - but then it will be fall, and vanilla would hit the spot.

@greeneyedgirl107 Definitely recommend checking it out 🙂 Hope you like it as much as I do.

1) Your favorite purchase of the year- why? Natasha Denona Glam palette because it’s a full face palette that is so utterly flattering with a highlighter that’s actually light enough to use as a highlighter!  The eyeshadows blend beautifully with minimal effort.  It was the palette even of the year hands down. The pmg celestial came in second. Do

2) A purchase you regret- buying bath and body works shower gels and candles.  I think this was last Christmas so technically not in 2021, but I tried really hard to get some use out of them this year.  The gels smell alright but are very drying and simply not pleasant.  The candles don’t burn cleanly and create black smoke.  I prefer soy candles.  I just decluttered everything from them save for some hand washes and a body spray my mom owned.

3) Most expensive purchase- was it worth the money?  Matcha meditation.  Absolutely worth the money.  I knew the full size would be mine when I used up a rollerball in a matter of months.

4) Most hyped product you bought- was it worth it?  I suppose the pmg celestial palette was the most hyped item and rightly so.  Absolutely worth it.

5) Did you spend less, the same, or more than other years? Less for sure but I haven’t calculated by how much yet.  I know it’s got to be less cause there were a good four months or so I wasn’t shopping at all.

6) Rediscovered loves or underrated/underhyped makeup discoveries- freck freckle pen, Patrick ta brow laminator,

7) A product you missed out on or haven't bought yet but really want- shu uemura hello kitty products

8 ) Did your makeup routine change in any way?  It became lighter and far more sporadic.

9) What makeup trend do you think will be big next year? natural brows and a continuation of fluffy brows, nude shadows, bright pink blushes but applied subtlety, more matte-satin skin, bold lip colors

10) What was your favorite body product or fragrance? Sol de Janeiro bom dia bright!!!!  I love how my skin feels wearing this!  definitely need full body sunscreen with it with all the ahas though.

Natasha Denona Glam Face & Eye Palette 

Sol de Janeiro Bom Dia Bright™ Visibly Brightening and Smoothing Body Cream with Vitamin C 8.1 oz / ... 

PAT McGRATH LABS MTHRSHP MEGA: CELESTIAL ODYSSEY Eyeshadow Palette 

Maison Margiela REPLICA' Matcha Meditation 

PATRICK TA Major Brow Lamination Gel 0.17 oz/ 5 mL 

@heartsmyface  I definitely agree with BBW shower gels. I could never use them. They just ended up drying my skin sooo bad. They were such a hot item for so long. I would always get a bunch at Christmas 

@ather  The feeling after using them is reminiscent of forgetting your own soap and using the generic soap at a hotel- except you got to choose your scent.  
I used to not mind them but older skin combined with having tried a lot better has turned me off them completely.  

@heartsmyface I'm going to second the question that @Mellmars1185 asked. I've been curious about that Sol de Janeiro Bom Dia Bright™ Visibly Brightening and Smoothing Body Cream with Vitamin C 8.1 oz / ... because of the plum notes and because I'm a sucker for Vitamin C. I might splurge next VIB sale on it.

@QueenMarceline  I don’t detect plumb really, it’s more a warm vanilla cassis scent with maybe a hint of jasmine?  I’m terrible at describing scents but the vanilla and cassis seem prominent to me. 

@heartsmyface What does the Sol de Janerio cream smell like? I like the pink packaging!

@Mellmars1185   Vanilla cassis with a slight jasmine undertone is the best I can do descriptor wise.  It’s a wonderful option if you love their original cream but don’t want to smell like a tropical beach all year:) 

@heartsmyface Thanks!

@makeitup305 

1) Your favorite purchase of the year- why? My favorite purchase of the year...I have to say the Lucky bag, even though we never know what we're buying, it's still so much fun and super exciting for me!

2) A purchase you regret- why? ughhh I have a few Herbivore Bakuchiol Retinol Alternative Smoothing Serum 1.0 oz/ 30 mL Sol de Janeiro Brazilian Joia Refreshing Dry Shampoo 4 oz/ 113g philosophy Melon Daiquiri 16 oz/ 480 mL The bakuchiol was terrible compared to the original!! The sdj was too strong and turned my hair white, the melon daiquiri scent was mehhh

3) Most expensive purchase- was it worth the money? T3 AireBrush Duo Interchangeable Hot Air Blow Dry Brush Yes it is absolutely worth the money

4) Most hyped product you bought- was it worth it? Pat McGrath labs Bridgerton, don't know yet, still hasn't arrived and Tatcha The Kissu Lip Mask Red Camellia too gorgeous to pass up

5) Did you spend less, the same, or more than other years? I spent far less this year!! I really really want to use the products I buy, some products are definitely for collecting and I can't resist

6) Rediscovered loves or underrated/underhyped makeup discoveries Kevyn Aucoin foundation balm and Charlotte Tilbury Hyaluronic Happikiss Lipstick Balm 

7) A product you missed out on or haven't bought yet but really want I have not missed out on it but I'm waiting a little bit, Biossance Squalane + Hyaluronic Acid Copper Peptide Rapid Plumping Serum 1.69 oz / 50 mL 

8 ) Did your makeup routine change in any way? No 

9) What makeup trend do you think will be big next year? I'm seeing bold eyeliner looks

10) What was your favorite body product or fragrance? love the TJ body butters that were gifted to me!! KILIAN Paris Apple Brandy Eau de Parfum 1.7 oz/ 50 mL Eau de Parfum Spray 

@lmaster  I’m hoping to see bold eyes come back too. Especially if masking continues. One of my jobs I have to wear a full face mask and shield or protective glasses my other one I have to wear medical masks. So eyes have to say it all!!!

@ather that's commitment!! Thank you for all your hard work!! You are very much appreciated for all you do!! Putting your health at risk to help others...selfless!! 

@lmaster Oh my gosh I hated that Herbivore Bakuchiol Retinol Alternative Smoothing Serum 1.0 oz/ 30 mL as well. I also believe I answered with that for this thread. Seriously, worst product of 2021. Broke me out horrendously. 😐

Huge disappointment!! @QueenMarceline 

Conversation Stats
Photos7
  • IMG_3896 2.JPG
  • cdnperfumes.jpg
  • 49DC5153-69B8-44E1-B686-86E90457300D.jpeg
  • F5712293-7066-4460-9563-291A09368B89.jpeg
  • 72C1CDFB-804F-4B65-82F1-ABAD8E2CB529.jpeg
  • Screenshot 2022-01-03 184422.png
  • C46DE348-D055-47CB-8FC2-5367832411BE.jpeg
testing