Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Makeup Is Life
|

Best, Most, and Worst [2021 Edition]

Another year has passed so figured I'd keep my tradition going and post my Best, Most, and Worst thread. Can't wait to read everyone's replies!

1) Your favorite purchase of the year- why?

2) A purchase you regret- why?

3) Most expensive purchase- was it worth the money? 

4) Most hyped product you bought- was it worth it?

5) Did you spend less, the same, or more than other years? 

6) Rediscovered loves or underrated/underhyped makeup discoveries

7) A product you missed out on or haven't bought yet but really want

8 ) Did your makeup routine change in any way?

9) What makeup trend do you think will be big next year?

10) What was your favorite body product or fragrance?

Here are my answers!

1) Your favorite purchase of the year- why? It's like trying to pick a favorite child. I picked up so many good products this year. Top 5, I would say Natasha Denona Retro Eyeshadow Palette PAT McGRATH LABS Mothership IX Eyeshadow Palette: Huetopian Dream, the Vanity Makeup Cosmetics Signature Palette, and NARS Bijoux and Climax palettes. I had some really cool purchases over Black Friday but I haven't tried them enough to make them favorites just yet. For non-makeup, I bought myself a Coach bag on sale and have no regrets. The outlet is where it's at. 

2) A purchase you regret- why? I don't regret them so much so that I wish they were better formulated: the Melt Cosmetics Mary Jane Eyeshadow Palette and Melt Cosmetics Brunet Eyeshadow Palette . I love the color stories but have issues with the shimmers.

3) Most expensive purchase- was it worth the money? Sonia G Sky Face Set, totally worth it for me.

4) Most hyped product you bought- was it worth it? I would say the Rephr brushes lived up to the hype for me. I haven't washed them all just yet and I'm not sure how well they hold up over time but I was very happy with how they feel and how the apply color.  Another overhyped product I bought is the Thrive mascara, it's just ok for me.

5) Did you spend less, the same, or more than other years? I'm not sure. My purchases over the first half of the year were pretty minimal but I went all out during Black Friday and all the sales, so maybe about the same?

6) Rediscovered loves or underrated/underhyped makeup discoveries Rose Inc blushes, MUFE cream blushes, Roen quads

7) A product you missed out on or haven't bought yet but really want the Victoria Beckham Bronzer in #2 and the Rephr 22 Brush (the large bronzer one).

8 ) Did your makeup routine change in any way? During the first half of the year I didn't use that much makeup but being back on BIC definitely reignited my love for doing full looks. 

9) What makeup trend do you think will be big next year? I think we're still going to see lots of cream products and light bases.

10) What was your favorite body product or fragrance? CLEAN RESERVE Reserve - Skin 3.4 oz/ 101 mL is still one of my favorites for every day. For body, I recently discovered the Biossance 100% Sugarcane Squalane Oil 3.4 oz / 100 mL thanks to a few BIC members and it's a game changer for me. 

Tagging @itsfi @Sunnysmom @faeriegirl @eshoe @Ispend2much6 @curlychiquita @ather @SportyGirly125 @lmaster @haleyvvvv @heavyhedon @RGbrown @sister13 @CookieGirl1 @greeneyedgirl107 @AznAngelLiz @Kim888 @Titian06 

Re: Best, Most, and Worst [2021 Edition]

1) Your favorite purchase of the year- why? I purchased the Dr. Dennis Gross Skincare DRx SpectraLite™ BodyWare Pro #and love it. It’s really helped me with pain and other issues. I use it every night and totally worth the money. Also my Dyson Airwrap Holiday Set # I got last year and I use it almost every other day!

2) A purchase you regret- why? I don’t have any regrets since most of my purchases were new to me and I can’t blame products for not working on me since different things work different based on people.

3) Most expensive purchase- was it worth the money? Dyson air wrap totally worth it. I now want the flat iron and the blow dryer 🤣

4) Most hyped product you bought- was it worth it? Again air wrap!! Summer Fridays Summer Silk Nourishing Body Lotion 6.7 oz/ 200 mL  also was pretty hyped and I loved it. Smells like vacation!!

5) Did you spend less, the same, or more than other years? I think I spent the same but I don’t think I’ll check this year. Some things are better kept a secret. 

6) Rediscovered loves or underrated/underhyped makeup discoveries I would say the Peace Out Retinol Eye Stick #I think all eye products should be in stock form. So easy to apply and you don’t worry about sticking your finger in the pot.

7) A product you missed out on or haven't bought yet but really want I would say the tatcha lip mask the red version. I have 2 of the original and I can’t justify it. But really want it. I wanted to buy the  Dyson Dyson Supersonic™ Limited Edition Set #during the sale but it sold out too fast😭

8 ) Did your makeup routine change in any way? Depending on which job I was working at. One job I wear a mask with shield and I didn’t wear makeup since I work 12 hour shifts and it just gets gross under the mask all day. My other job I can take my mask off at my desk so I do a light makeup those days. Weekends I didn’t leave my house much so no makeup. Quite different than pre covid.

9) What makeup trend do you think will be big next year? I’m hoping bold eyes. I’m thinking masking isn’t ending any time soon so I hope bold eyes come back. I hope the bold big brows go and is more of a medium fluffy trend. I just can’t get into caterpillar eyes.

10) What was your favorite body product or fragrance? I would have to say KILIAN Paris Apple Brandy Eau de Parfum 1.7 oz/ 50 mL Eau de Parfum Spray  thank you so much @TeamBIC  for introducing it to me. Love it so much!!

Great to know about the Dr Gross Pro and so glad it helps @ather ! Looking into it. 

@ather I switched to so many stick products over this pandemic, I totally agree!

@pocketvenus  Good to hear. I thought maybe I’m the only weird one. I also love the tatcha serum stick. Sooo good

@ather Stick forms are also so great for travel, I mean when it's safe to travel again!

@ather Oh em gee.... I'm loving some of the items you picked up this year!  I'm very interested in the Airwrap, do you find the dryer attachment a possible sub for a hairdryer?  Or is it just not strong enough?  I've peeked at the DDG face mask after hearing someone else rave about the body wrap and what it did for their decollate.  Great choices!

@missjeanie  Depending on your hair. I have medium length thin hair. I can get away with the dryer attachment but I want it for the flyaway attachment. I seen a video on it and it’s crazy how it smooths the hair. I also have the face mask and love it also. Before I got the body one I used the face mask on my face than neck after. Definitely makes a difference!!! 

@ather I have quite long hair but it's pretty average in thickness these days, wavy depending on how I dry it.  I do curl my hair with an iron most days so the Long version of the airwrap draws me in.  I don't blow-dry my hair super often... so it may be best to start with the airwrap and then see if I feel the need for the dryer after my current one bites the dust.  Good to know you can multi-use the face mask from DDG too.  I'm feeling like this is the year I make fewer purchases that are higher in price and call it a draw on my finances. Lord knows I don't need anything and just want to play lol Thanks so much for the info.  I think I'm now decided on which ones I'd like.

@makeitup305  That was 2021 for me. I worked extra hard during the pandemic and I did spoil myself. I think the last part of 2021 I started to be better. But i ended up buy more clothes. 2022 will definitely be a low buy year for me. 

My thoughts @makeitup305 ! Thanks for the tag! 💞

1) Fav purchase of the year- so hard to choose just one, I can’t! How about categories. Lol Besides lips of course I would have to say it’s been year of the blush. I knew I loved them but this year topped it! Chantecaille Perle , beautiful pink flush, Lisa Eldridge smooth creams- fav in Mountain Walk, and Hermes mattes in Ombré and Nuit because easy and natural vs too matte as I worried about. Also Chanel fall and holiday No.5 collections- more red lips and body products so yummy. Rediscovered love for Dior as well- the 2021 lips and holiday shadows, Atelier Dore so easy and elegant. I think the shadow formula has been improved and lips in En Diable and Opera are some of my perfect reds. Dior Rouge Dior Refillable Lipstick 666 Rouge En Diable Matte Dior Rouge Dior Refillable Lipstick 975 Opera Matte . My fav look is red lip against bronzey natural eye. 

2) Purchase I regret- none really unless it may be Lashify because I have not attempted them yet! I hope I can do it and love them. Also not one I regret, but I was a little disappointed in the new Bite lip formulation. I simply loved the original! Not that I’m not using them because I am!  Bite Beauty Power Move Hydrating Soft Matte Lipstick Tannin 

3) Most expensive - probably Hermes or Chantecaille highlighters. Love them both. Hermes more obvious shimmer and Chantecaille Perle Lumiere perfect subtle glowing shimmer. Or sum totals of Hermes blush buy! Ugh. But both worth it to me because I use them daily and love them tho I know it’s personal and not all do. 

4) Most hyped- maybe Pat McGrath blush which I really like but not sure more than my others. I don’t use them as much so…but colors versatile and lovely! PAT McGRATH LABS Skin Fetish: Divine Powder Blush Divine Rose 

5) Spend less, same or more- not sure and I don’t want to totally know! Lol  No, I think probably same or a little less as I didn’t buy as much skincare having bought plenty during sales events and promos. 

6) Rediscovered loves or underrated/underhyped makeup discoveries- I like a lot of small lines so probably LaBouche Rouge lips and shadows, Rouje lips, Rose Inc, EM Cosmetics, Jones Road. So glad WA , VBB, and Lisa E getting all the love they deserve as well and that Sephora carries some of these! Yay! Also the Dior lipsticks and shadows mentioned above. 

7) A missed product or haven’t bought yet- probably DIor eye shadow palette in Night Feathers greens. So pretty! Missed it and if it ever reappears I’ll have to grab it. 

😎Makeup routine, changed or no- definitely shorter and smaller but I still wore tinted SPF and lipstick every day! Less mascara, shadow and brows tho still blush and lip! 

9) Makeup trend for 2022- I think clean, fresh classic will exist alongside bold eyes and lips. Or classics with a twist. If masks leave us then I think people will be ready to show all their new skills and wear our much loved new stuff! Fresh and classic always wins for me tho. (Agree with you also @makeitup305 hoping too matte or liquid matte leaves us! )

10) Favorite body product or fragrance- discovered #Necessaire Eucalyptus body wash from so many on here (thank you guys! 🤗) and just love it, along with Molten Brown Eucalyptus shower gel. I’m really enjoying new to me fragrances courtesy of @TeamBIC (thank you again!) such as #Chloe Naturelle Eau de Parfum and also recently tried Maison Louis Marie No.04 Bois de Balincourt Eau de Parfum Travel Spray 0.34 / 10. I love smelling like the candle! Lol Also loving Byredo Young Rose. Usually I’m more of a soft floral or fresh scent such as Chanel or Hermes and still love them as well. 

Fun thread @makeitup305 ! MWAH! 🥰 (my #pics went away! Grr!) 

@Sunnysmom  That was a fun read- you have great taste!

Oh so sweet of you to say @Ispend2much6 thank you! 😘

@Sunnysmom not surprised at all by all your red lipstick favorites haha. It sounds like the year of lipstick and blush for you! I'm with you on all these smaller luxe brands getting more attention, I like trying new products .

Way too predictable eh @makeitup305 ?! I’m really trying to branch out and try to manage pinks or even a deeper pinky nude. 😱😆 Is that even possible. Lol 

not predictable @Sunnysmom , a signature look 😉

@makeitup305 Thanks for tagging me on this - sorry it's taken so long so respond.  These are off the top of my head since it's almost time for bed:

1) Your favorite purchase of the year- why?  I really enjoyed discovering my DS of ALTERNA Haircare CAVIAR Anti-Aging® Smoothing Anti-Frizz Blowout Butter .  Just what my hair needed.  Normally I'd run right out and buy the FS, but I don't use much so I haven't felt the need.

2) A purchase you regret- why?  Nothing comes to mind, actually!  Maybe stocking up on things last year like flat iron spray and anti-frizz that I just haven't used this year.  I have gotten better with flat ironing my hair (I used to do it weekly prior to the pandemic) so I anticipate the products will be put to good use.

3) Most expensive purchase- was it worth the money? T3 Lucea ID 1” Smart Flat Iron with Touch Interface Yes, it was worth it -- but you really need a PhD in engineering from MIT to use that darn interface.  I prefer buttons.

4) Most hyped product you bought- was it worth it?  I heard a lot of good stuff about LANEIGE Lip Sleeping Mask Intense Hydration with Vitamin C in Gummy Bear but it wasn't for me.  Fortunately, I got it for free.

5) Did you spend less, the same, or more than other years? Since I bought two flat irons this year (the other was BioIonic which I haven't even taken out of the Ulta box yet) I'd say more.

6) Rediscovered loves or underrated/underhyped makeup discoveries The last two years are starting to run together!  I think it was this year that I rediscovered The INKEY List Hyaluronic Acid Hydrating Serum 1 oz/ 30 mL 

7) A product you missed out on or haven't bought yet but really want Natasha Denona Glam Eyeshadow Palette 

8 ) Did your makeup routine change in any way? Unfortunately, I stayed pretty makeup-free like last year.

9) What makeup trend do you think will be big next year? I feel like I've said this the last couple years, but I hope matte lips decrease.  

10) What was your favorite body product or fragrance? CND Solar Oil really helped my cuticles when they were in bad shape.  I'm waiting on a cart at Ulta to pick up their pen so I can use it more easily/regularly.  I could've gotten it this year, but I had spent so much that I figured I'd start up in 2022 to meet all my levels.

Great list @greeneyedgirl107 . Thanks for mention of the CND cuticle oil and I so need it right now! Adding to my cart…! 💞

@Sunnysmom I was just recommending the oil to someone at work today!  One of my colleagues (a male) was complaining that his nails were splitting likely due to all the hand sanitizer he uses.  

Oh man @greeneyedgirl107 I bet that’s part of my issues too. I will find it. ( And nothing like that hand sanitizer to find every little hangnail and crack I have right now. Ooch! )

@Sunnysmom from what I've seen, and I think @RGbrown has mentioned it too, is that you want a cuticle oil with high Jojoba oil content since that's the one most similar to our skin's oil and the one the nails and cuticles will absorb.

3 Replies
Conversation Stats
Photos7
  • IMG_3896 2.JPG
  • cdnperfumes.jpg
  • 49DC5153-69B8-44E1-B686-86E90457300D.jpeg
  • F5712293-7066-4460-9563-291A09368B89.jpeg
  • 72C1CDFB-804F-4B65-82F1-ABAD8E2CB529.jpeg
  • Screenshot 2022-01-03 184422.png
  • C46DE348-D055-47CB-8FC2-5367832411BE.jpeg
testing