Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Makeup Is Life
|

Best, Most, and Worst [2021 Edition]

Another year has passed so figured I'd keep my tradition going and post my Best, Most, and Worst thread. Can't wait to read everyone's replies!

1) Your favorite purchase of the year- why?

2) A purchase you regret- why?

3) Most expensive purchase- was it worth the money? 

4) Most hyped product you bought- was it worth it?

5) Did you spend less, the same, or more than other years? 

6) Rediscovered loves or underrated/underhyped makeup discoveries

7) A product you missed out on or haven't bought yet but really want

8 ) Did your makeup routine change in any way?

9) What makeup trend do you think will be big next year?

10) What was your favorite body product or fragrance?

Here are my answers!

1) Your favorite purchase of the year- why? It's like trying to pick a favorite child. I picked up so many good products this year. Top 5, I would say Natasha Denona Retro Eyeshadow Palette PAT McGRATH LABS Mothership IX Eyeshadow Palette: Huetopian Dream, the Vanity Makeup Cosmetics Signature Palette, and NARS Bijoux and Climax palettes. I had some really cool purchases over Black Friday but I haven't tried them enough to make them favorites just yet. For non-makeup, I bought myself a Coach bag on sale and have no regrets. The outlet is where it's at. 

2) A purchase you regret- why? I don't regret them so much so that I wish they were better formulated: the Melt Cosmetics Mary Jane Eyeshadow Palette and Melt Cosmetics Brunet Eyeshadow Palette . I love the color stories but have issues with the shimmers.

3) Most expensive purchase- was it worth the money? Sonia G Sky Face Set, totally worth it for me.

4) Most hyped product you bought- was it worth it? I would say the Rephr brushes lived up to the hype for me. I haven't washed them all just yet and I'm not sure how well they hold up over time but I was very happy with how they feel and how the apply color.  Another overhyped product I bought is the Thrive mascara, it's just ok for me.

5) Did you spend less, the same, or more than other years? I'm not sure. My purchases over the first half of the year were pretty minimal but I went all out during Black Friday and all the sales, so maybe about the same?

6) Rediscovered loves or underrated/underhyped makeup discoveries Rose Inc blushes, MUFE cream blushes, Roen quads

7) A product you missed out on or haven't bought yet but really want the Victoria Beckham Bronzer in #2 and the Rephr 22 Brush (the large bronzer one).

8 ) Did your makeup routine change in any way? During the first half of the year I didn't use that much makeup but being back on BIC definitely reignited my love for doing full looks. 

9) What makeup trend do you think will be big next year? I think we're still going to see lots of cream products and light bases.

10) What was your favorite body product or fragrance? CLEAN RESERVE Reserve - Skin 3.4 oz/ 101 mL is still one of my favorites for every day. For body, I recently discovered the Biossance 100% Sugarcane Squalane Oil 3.4 oz / 100 mL thanks to a few BIC members and it's a game changer for me. 

Tagging @itsfi @Sunnysmom @faeriegirl @eshoe @Ispend2much6 @curlychiquita @ather @SportyGirly125 @lmaster @haleyvvvv @heavyhedon @RGbrown @sister13 @CookieGirl1 @greeneyedgirl107 @AznAngelLiz @Kim888 @Titian06 

Re: Best, Most, and Worst [2021 Edition]

@lmaster   Ouhh the copper peptide serum looks fascinating.  I have to go look up what copper is supposed to do now! 

edit- ouhhh interesting.  I grabbed some quick facts off byrdie.  So it’s an antioxidant to be used in place of vitamin c.   the claims sound appealing!  yeah I’d say that would be worth a try! 

C46DE348-D055-47CB-8FC2-5367832411BE.jpeg

Oh thank you for the deep dive!!! @heartsmyface your FBI expertise is working wonderfully!! 😘

@heartsmyface NIOD has a Copper Amino Serum that I’ve heard good things about. I think Gothamista did a review on it or it was a favorite of hers. It seems to be an interesting anti-aging ingredient.

I always forget about the CT Happikiss balm but when I do pull it back out I fall in love all over again @lmaster .  Good heads up on the SDJ dry shampoo too.  I was waiting to purchase after using up some I have, but I have dark hair... probably not for me.

@missjeanie I need more shades of the happikiss!! SDj big no,,, I'm telling you it looks like white spray paint,, maybe a little exaggerated, but seriously though

@lmaster I would mind a shade expansion on the happikiss line.  And ya... white on my hair would be a big no.  It's one of the reasons I like the Amika dry shampoo... I don't see any white.  I try to hide any white in my hair with dye, I don't need to highlight it lol

Yes!! @missjeanie I would try to use it on my boys and yeah,, even on their hair it was bad!! 

@lmaster I'm anxiously waiting for my PMG x Bridgerton, too. I want it to ship already!

@makeitup305 I know!! It's killing me!! 😱

@lmaster Thanks for the info about the Herbivore Bakuchiol Retinol Alternative Smoothing Serum 1.0 oz/ 30 mL . You are not the first person with this type of feedback. I was considering purchasing it in a favourites bundle!

@Mellmars1185 if you tried the original, you will be disappointed with the new version,,, I'm now trying iNNBEAUTY PROJECT Slushy Serum Moisturizer Crush Infused with Bakuchiol and love it!!

@lmaster Good to know! Maybe i will give it a try once my current retinol and foil packets are all done! 

Fun questions to look back on 2021! @makeitup305 

1) Your favorite purchase of the year- why?

Probably my Beachwaver with the extended barrel. It just does such a nice job of making waves. Oh, and a bunch of clear organizers from The Container Store to organize my makeup so it’s easier to store and access! 

2) A purchase you regret- why?

Amika set with the blow dry brush and hair products. I actually like all the products well enough and it was a good deal, but I bought before any of the sales, and was thinking I should have passed and maybe gotten the Dyson dryer or air wrap on sale. For some reason, that kept bothering me, haha.

3) Most expensive purchase- was it worth the money? 

Baccarat Rouge 540 Extrait - this may have been in 2020? I had been living off samples. I bought it with a significant discount at CosBar. I do think it was worth it and I still get tons of compliments when wearing it and I love it, however, I feel it has a slight sharpness and not as much longevity as the samples I had gotten in past years before pulling the trigger on a FS bottle. So, that was a little disappointing, but still a huge fave!

4) Most hyped product you bought- was it worth it?

I think this goes to PAT McGRATH LABS Mothership IX Eyeshadow Palette: Huetopian Dream #. Totally worth it, it’s stunning

5) Did you spend less, the same, or more than other years? 

I think more than 2020, but less than in many past years. I’ve been trying to be more mindful of what I’m getting.

6) Rediscovered loves or underrated/underhyped makeup discoveries

Hmm, I need to think about this, I’m drawing a blank for some reason.

7) A product you missed out on or haven't bought yet but really want?

Dyson hair dryer or air wrap. My hair may be too much for the air wrap, but I’m curious.

8 ) Did your makeup routine change in any way? 
I just didn’t wear a lot most days. Trying to get back in the groove because makeup makes me happy, and I need to use some of these things more often if I want to justify buying more, lol.

9) What makeup trend do you think will be big next year?

Hmm, hard to say, I think glowy skin and more fresh-faced looks.

10) What was your favorite body product or fragrance?
Body: L’Occitane shower oil L'Occitane Cleansing And Softening Refillable Shower Oil With Almond Oil 8.4 oz/ 250 mL #since I’m sometimes too lazy to put lotion on. Also, Sunday Riley Fairy Godmother just feels so soft and silky with a lovely shimmer. I would never have bought this, but got in the New Beauty free gift Friday and would repurchase.

49DC5153-69B8-44E1-B686-86E90457300D.jpeg

Fragrance (top 5 new in 2021):

F5712293-7066-4460-9563-291A09368B89.jpeg
72C1CDFB-804F-4B65-82F1-ABAD8E2CB529.jpeg
KILIAN Paris Apple Brandy Eau de Parfum 1.7 oz/ 50 mL Eau de Parfum Spray (Thanks again @TeamBIC !)

Viktor&Rolf Flowerbomb Nectar 1.7 oz/ 50 mL 

Gucci Flora Gorgeous Gardenia Eau de Parfum 

Baccarat Rouge 540 Extrait

Tom Ford F**ing Fabulous (won’t tag for profanity, lol)

@sister13 I'm with you on the Dyson Air Wrap. I'm pretty sure TikTok hyped it up and made it sell out everywhere so it's hard to find now a days. The KILIAN Paris Apple Brandy Eau de Parfum 1.7 oz/ 50 mL Eau de Parfum Spray seems to be a hit on BIC. I'm kinda jealous I didn't get the gratis now! I tried it on in store the other day and it's delicious. I've been thoroughly enjoying your cocktail and fragrance pairing series. Your love for Baccarat Rouge prompted me to pick up a sampler set from Nordstrom that should be arriving today. Can't wait to try it!

Hey @makeitup305 , I think the Dyson has been around enough years now that our collective shock at the cost of these devices has worn down! Ooh, I’m excited to hear your thoughts on the sampler! I hope it has both the 540 regular and the 540 Extrait. Some people say they are interchangeable and some say no. Both undeniably lovely though! Can’t wait to hear what you think! 

@sister13 The Dyson still gives me a bit of sticker shock lol I have enough points saved up on Ulta to get it for "free" so that was what I was thinking but who knows if I'll get it. My hairdryer is 2 years old and has been used >10x total I think lol I found a Drybar The Brush Crush Heated Straightening Brush at TJMaxx yesterday for $65 and decided to pick it up. I tried it last night and really liked it, it didn't seem to fry my hair too much. Depending on how much I use it, I'll decide on the Air Wrap. I tried the Baccarat Rouge Extrait as soon as it came in, just a quick spritz on my hand and I can't decide what it smells like, it's quite unique to my experience. 

I need to smell some of these fragrances @sister13 .  The Tom Ford is one that I'm drawn to... maybe because of marketing, maybe because I tend to enjoy a lot of his scents. 50/50 odds lol

I actually get a little annoyed at his names but this is also one that I got lots of samples over a period of time and finally got the set with the full size and travel size on sale, I really love it. (Can’t tag it because of profanity, lol.) @missjeanie 

@sister13  I'm not super big on profanity etc in names.  It's not necessary 9/10 times.  I'm lookin' at you Too Faced and Nars... but for some reason I feel the profanity in this one suits.  I guess sometimes it just calls for it lol

@sister13 Some great picks and answers there. I still am dying to try the L'Occitane Smoothing and Firming Almond Supple Skin Body Oil 

Thanks! Yes, That one looks great too! @QueenMarceline 

2 Replies
Conversation Stats
Photos7
  • IMG_3896 2.JPG
  • cdnperfumes.jpg
  • 49DC5153-69B8-44E1-B686-86E90457300D.jpeg
  • F5712293-7066-4460-9563-291A09368B89.jpeg
  • 72C1CDFB-804F-4B65-82F1-ABAD8E2CB529.jpeg
  • Screenshot 2022-01-03 184422.png
  • C46DE348-D055-47CB-8FC2-5367832411BE.jpeg