Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Makeup Is Life
|

Best, Most, and Worst [2021 Edition]

Another year has passed so figured I'd keep my tradition going and post my Best, Most, and Worst thread. Can't wait to read everyone's replies!

1) Your favorite purchase of the year- why?

2) A purchase you regret- why?

3) Most expensive purchase- was it worth the money? 

4) Most hyped product you bought- was it worth it?

5) Did you spend less, the same, or more than other years? 

6) Rediscovered loves or underrated/underhyped makeup discoveries

7) A product you missed out on or haven't bought yet but really want

8 ) Did your makeup routine change in any way?

9) What makeup trend do you think will be big next year?

10) What was your favorite body product or fragrance?

Here are my answers!

1) Your favorite purchase of the year- why? It's like trying to pick a favorite child. I picked up so many good products this year. Top 5, I would say Natasha Denona Retro Eyeshadow Palette PAT McGRATH LABS Mothership IX Eyeshadow Palette: Huetopian Dream, the Vanity Makeup Cosmetics Signature Palette, and NARS Bijoux and Climax palettes. I had some really cool purchases over Black Friday but I haven't tried them enough to make them favorites just yet. For non-makeup, I bought myself a Coach bag on sale and have no regrets. The outlet is where it's at. 

2) A purchase you regret- why? I don't regret them so much so that I wish they were better formulated: the Melt Cosmetics Mary Jane Eyeshadow Palette and Melt Cosmetics Brunet Eyeshadow Palette . I love the color stories but have issues with the shimmers.

3) Most expensive purchase- was it worth the money? Sonia G Sky Face Set, totally worth it for me.

4) Most hyped product you bought- was it worth it? I would say the Rephr brushes lived up to the hype for me. I haven't washed them all just yet and I'm not sure how well they hold up over time but I was very happy with how they feel and how the apply color.  Another overhyped product I bought is the Thrive mascara, it's just ok for me.

5) Did you spend less, the same, or more than other years? I'm not sure. My purchases over the first half of the year were pretty minimal but I went all out during Black Friday and all the sales, so maybe about the same?

6) Rediscovered loves or underrated/underhyped makeup discoveries Rose Inc blushes, MUFE cream blushes, Roen quads

7) A product you missed out on or haven't bought yet but really want the Victoria Beckham Bronzer in #2 and the Rephr 22 Brush (the large bronzer one).

8 ) Did your makeup routine change in any way? During the first half of the year I didn't use that much makeup but being back on BIC definitely reignited my love for doing full looks. 

9) What makeup trend do you think will be big next year? I think we're still going to see lots of cream products and light bases.

10) What was your favorite body product or fragrance? CLEAN RESERVE Reserve - Skin 3.4 oz/ 101 mL is still one of my favorites for every day. For body, I recently discovered the Biossance 100% Sugarcane Squalane Oil 3.4 oz / 100 mL thanks to a few BIC members and it's a game changer for me. 

Tagging @itsfi @Sunnysmom @faeriegirl @eshoe @Ispend2much6 @curlychiquita @ather @SportyGirly125 @lmaster @haleyvvvv @heavyhedon @RGbrown @sister13 @CookieGirl1 @greeneyedgirl107 @AznAngelLiz @Kim888 @Titian06 

Re: Best, Most, and Worst [2021 Edition]

@heavyhedon Have you tried the Inkey List? They have some really solid products for very affordable prices. I’ve also head Naturium (at Target) is very good.

@makeitup305 , I do use Inkey's eye creams regularly, haven't tried their other stuff yet. 

@heavyhedon I’ve tried a few things and quite liked them. I would say the formulations aren’t as sophisticated/nice feeling as say Sunday Riley or Drunk Elephant, but I never experienced any irritation when using them. I’ve tried the The INKEY List Retinol Anti-Aging Serum The INKEY List Tranexamic Acid Hyperpigmentation Treatment 1 oz/ 30 mL The INKEY List Bakuchiol Retinol Alternative Moisturizer 1 oz/ 30 mL The INKEY List 15% Vitamin C and EGF Brightening Serum 1 oz/ 30 mL and they all seemed to work well. I wasn’t wowed by their The INKEY List Brighten-i™ Dark Circle Brightening Eye Cream 0.5 oz/ 15 mL or The INKEY List Caffeine De-puffing + Dark Circle Eye Cream 0.5 oz/ 15 mL but they were ok.

I'm definitely not a fan of the Brighten-I, @makeitup305 , but the other one moisturizes well enough for my purposes; I rotate lines/products seasonally, or else my skin can sometimes build up a sensitivity to them. I'll have to check out that Vit C serum, I could use one that is gentle! 

@heavyhedon hahahaha everyone with a head. That made me laugh I love it. 

@Samtian Same, lol.

1) Your favorite purchase of the year- why? Grace Eleyae Satin-Lined Knot Turban This makes my hair so nice after a shower. And it's easy to sleep in. 

2) A purchase you regret- why? SEPHORA COLLECTION Coach x Sephora Collection Tea Rose Eye Mask Set 3 pairs They really burned/stung my eyes. 

3) Most expensive purchase- was it worth the money? 3 of the Jo Malone Vintage Bottle Perfumes. Not sure, still can't smell them but they look pretty so yes?

4) Most hyped product you bought- was it worth it? I'm not sure I bought anything hyped. I tried to stick to things on sale this year. 

5) Did you spend less, the same, or more than other years? Way less! I'm 229 away from re-rouging. 

6) Rediscovered loves or underrated/underhyped makeup discoveries Rediscovered my love of face mists. And leave in conditioners. 

7) A product you missed out on or haven't bought yet but really want? Natasha Denona Triochrome Eyeshadow Palette 15 x 0.08 oz/ 2.5 g Hermes Lipstick, and Byredo Metal Boots in Snow palette. 

8 ) Did your makeup routine change in any way? I haven't worn eyeliner much at all! And I added in blush and bronzer...what is happening to me! Jk I can hide those behind my masks haha. 

9) What makeup trend do you think will be big next year? I have no idea. 

10) What was your favorite body product or fragrance? N/A. Couldn't smell things but @sprocketta did get me the Lush Cosmetics Handy Gurugu and I love how it feels. 

@Samtian Another vote for Grace Eleyae! I need to try it again, maybe the adjustable one this time. The regular one just kept falling of while I was sleeping.

@makeitup305 This one is supposed to be adjustable, I haven't messed with it. Even with the little hair I have it stays put...but I do have a big head haha. 

@Samtian I would love to try the Triochrome palette as well, but if it was a mid size and therefore less expensive…. 😖

@SamtianI got the triochrome.... it's not that impressive.  From Left to Right: ND Color Flip, PMG Blitz Sextreme, ND Kinetic, PMG VR Sextraterrestial, and ND Scarab.  The PMG shades have more of that multichrome thing going on.  ND Color Flip lives up to the hype, but the Scarab and Kinetic colors don't.  Scarab is still pretty, but it basically just looks like a metallic peridot color. 

IMG_3896 2.JPG

@itscarin Thank you for the swatches!

Yes, The Slap! I want to try an adjustable one next. @Samtian , it's the most comfortable head covering I've ever worn.

1) Your favorite purchase of the year- why?

Favorite beauty purchase is DDG spectralite, I’m hoping it will make a difference. Non beauty would be my Nespresso machine. 
2) A purchase you regret- why?

PTR peptide serum. It was terrible.

3) Most expensive purchase- was it worth the money? 

DDG Spectralite. So far I am loving it.

4) Most hyped product you bought- was it worth it?

Sonia G lotus brush set. Yes, I love it!

5) Did you spend less, the same, or more than other years? 

I spent a little less than the last couple of years.

6) Rediscovered loves or underrated/underhyped makeup discoveries.

Rediscovered loves would be Charlotte Tilbury light wonder foundation and flawless filter.

7) A product you missed out on or haven't bought yet but really want.

I’m still debating the Natasha Denona retro palette.

8 ) Did your makeup routine change in any way?

Yes, very light and natural.

9) What makeup trend do you think will be big next year?

More cream products and natural looks.

10) What was your favorite body product or fragrance? 
Favorite body product is Necessaire body serum and lotion. Favorite fragrance is Kilian Apple Brandy.

@faeriegirl I love Retro in case that helps 😉 let me know if you want any swatches or comparisons to stay you either way!

@makeitup305 @faeriegirl I agree on Retro.  It's nothing revolutionary but it's a perfect everyday palette for me and it's one of those that I can grab when I don't know what I want and always come up with something that looks very "put together".

@CookieGirl1  That is how I feel about the Glam palette so I’m not sure I need another everyday palette. It looks so pretty though.

Thank you @makeitup305!

@faeriegirl we are twinning on 10👍🏼☺️

I wasn’t tagged so I hope it’s okay I still participate! 

1. Favorite Purchase: Hourglass Ambient® Lighting Edit Face Palette - Universe. This was a full on treat yo’self purchase and I’m just so pleased with it. Absolutely gorgeous and fun to wear. Hourglass makes some of my favorite cheek products, but admittedly the price point makes it tough for me to go ahead and purchase. No regrets with this though. 

2. A Regretful Purchase: I’ve been very careful making purchases this year, so there isn’t really anything I regret if I’m being honest! 

3. Most Expensive: The BeautyLish Lucky Bag XL! Okay I guess I haven’t been 100% careful and did throw caution to the wind to try my luck with this. So we’ll find out in January if it was worth it haha. Other than that, I think probably Tatcha Violet-C Brightening Serum 20% Vitamin C + 10% AHA 1 oz/ 30 mL, and yes it’s 100% worth it. Absolutely love this serum. 

4. Most Hyped: I suppose the Lucky Bag haha. And again we’ll see! 

5. Spending: Not my highest spending year and not my lowest. Probably a good average of spending on items when they need to be replenished and the occasional splurge. 

6. Rediscovered/Underrated: CLINIQUE High Impact Mascara will be my number 1 answer for underrated every time. I can count it as “rediscovered” because I barely wore makeup in 2020 and wore it a tad more in 2021. 

7. Really Want but Don’t Have: Drunk Elephant T.L.C. Sukari Babyfacial™ AHA + BHA Mask 1.69 oz/ 50 mL. Just can’t bring myself to buy it… too expensive… So I stock up on rewards when I can hahaha. 

8. Routine Change: The times I’ve worn makeup it’s been super low key and no makeup makeup. I haven’t sported a super bold lip in ages, but I haven’t needed to. My lifestyle has changed pretty significantly, and for the moment that’s fine. I am hoping 2022 brings on some changes in my career that might allow me to go back to my old makeup ways with my regularity. 

9. Trend Prediction: It’ll either go a very natural low maintenance route or very colorful and fun.

10. Fave Body Product/Fragrance: Sol de Janeiro Bom Dia Bright™ Visibly Brightening and Smoothing Body Cream with Vitamin C 8.1 oz / 240 ml. Obsessed with this stuff. 

@alexasteph You should check out Paulas Choice 25% AHA mask. I switched from Drunk Elephant to this one. 

1 Reply
Conversation Stats
Photos7
  • IMG_3896 2.JPG
  • cdnperfumes.jpg
  • 49DC5153-69B8-44E1-B686-86E90457300D.jpeg
  • F5712293-7066-4460-9563-291A09368B89.jpeg
  • 72C1CDFB-804F-4B65-82F1-ABAD8E2CB529.jpeg
  • Screenshot 2022-01-03 184422.png
  • C46DE348-D055-47CB-8FC2-5367832411BE.jpeg
testing