Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Makeup Is Life
|

AUGUST 2017 FAVORITES !

it's nearing the end of the month (already !) which means it's favorites time ! it has been an extraordinary month, in all senses-- i turned 32. i got to meet BTers (ahem, BICers) in L.A. for the launch party. and then catastrophe hit my home state of texas. i want to send all my love and support to anyone and everyone impacted by harvey.

on to the creature comforts of the month !

august 2017 favoritesaugust 2017 favorites

• ADDICTION BY AYAKO blush, lazy doll. this was a birthday present and i'm so grateful ! i absolutely adore japanese blushes--as they tend to be sheer washes of color in shades that are soft and flattering on my skintone. this one is a sheer apricot color with a bit of sheen. i love orangey shades for that late summer - early autumn transition. which leads me to....
  • PAT MCGRATH mattetrance lipstick, obsession. this orange (described as a red-orange but on my skintone is ORANGE) is so bright in the tube that i couldn't accurately capture it in this photo (it would make the rest of the photo too dark !). it's gorgeous. i love the mattetrance formula, it's very comfortable, but i find it's best for evenings or short bursts of wear (as it will feel a bit drying if on the lips for 8 or more hours...). and while it is indeed a bright orange, it's not too neon and is still quite wearable (presuming you're comfortable with bold lips !)
  • LE LABO ROSE31 EDP (etc). i finally got my chosen le labo scent ! and i purchased it on my birthday so that the date would be printed on the label, which felt quite special to me ! i also have a stash of rose31 body products after a stay at a fairmont hotel (!!!) and i love layering the lotion with the perfume for a bit more oomph and emphasis on the base notes. rose31 falls in line with my other experiences of LE LABO fragrances--which is i don't always love their top notes, they're often peppery or stinky-spicy with cumin--but that dissipates so quickly and the dry downs of LE LABO fragrances, including rose31, are so refined and chic and perhaps my favorite in the industry, and makes the initial top note experiences worth it for me.
  • BITE BEAUTY multistick, gelato. i lovvvvve the bite multisticks, and actually have found i love them most as cream eyeshadows ! gelato had been on my list for a while, but when they released cava i was not sure which i should get. because gelato has a bit more of that taupe, i decided it would be more flattering and i am in love ! it's such a perfect eyeshadow color if i want something a bit natural but don't want a brown. and glorious on lips and cheeks too !
  • NARS powermatte lip pigment, paint it black. i have gothy tendencies, obvs, but i've actually never owned a black lipstick ! and i'm so glad i waited because this one is perfect. i already knew i loved the powermatte formula, and this black is a true black that somehow looks rich. i got it with @Gwenhwyfar at the launch party in LA, and i'm so happy to be her witch twin !

RE: AUGUST 2017 FAVORITES !

The big shiny elephant in the room, The Natasha Denona Sunset palette - It's stunning.  I love the colors and the autumnal colors and the shadows are highly pigmented and blend like a dream!

The Ordinary. Niacinamide 10% + Zinc 1% and Odicate Jojoba & Lavander serum - I'm lumping these together because I use them that way.  I find my skin has been so happy and more pores seem smaller since I started using these guys.  They don't do much for my oiliness but I'm happy to blot if my skin is happy!

Sunday Riley UFO oil - This is a new one but I feel instantly in love with the scent. I think my skin likes it enough to warrant buying the full size.  I only use 2 drops so this teeny 100 point perk bottle should last a while!

NARS American Woman - This was my BIC Launch Party purchase.  It's the perfect color for me and the formula is top notch!  If you haven't tried the Powermatte formula, I highly suggest you do!  It took me a few tries to get the hang of the very liquidy formula but it's fantastic. This tube is very special to me because it reminds me of getting to meet my BT lovlies in person (and it makes me lip twins with @malday!)

Blackmail by Kerosene - This scent is exclusive to the Blackmail boutique in Austin and it's AMAZING.  It smells like you're getting a hug while at a bonfire.  The scent is smoky and rich but not overwhelming.  It's unisex (I tend to prefer more masculine scents) and I feel super sexy and cool when I wear it.  I can't wait for fall to fully hit so I can constantly smother myself in this!

Re: RE: AUGUST 2017 FAVORITES !

@michelleshops hey girrrrrrl you smell gooooooood

We're also perfume twins! 🖤

Yes.  My plan to slowly become you is working!

Re: AUGUST 2017 FAVORITES !

I’m late on this one but thank you again for hosting this thread @jemly! Happy belated birthday and I hope you are staying safe in TX. Thanks to @Mochapj for inspiring my flowers 🙂

AugFaves.JPG

Spoiler

Armani Luminous Silk in 2 plus Maestro Glow in 0: I'm back on the foundation train after jumping off for awhile, and this is the base of dreams for my dry, dehydrated skin. It also is a good match for my undertones. It doesn’t look like makeup to me, just radiant skin.

Givenchy Acti'mine Primer in Acti milk: This is the illuminating primer out of Givenchy’s range, so it gives you a creamy glow worn under makeup or alone. It has a whiter base than many illuminating primers, most of which look muddy on me. The texture of it helps makeup adhere better to my particular kind of scarring.

Dior Singles in Backstage and Cosmopolite: I had heard Dior eyeshadows were bad? Where was I? These are amazing. They have a similar texture to that of Dior's highlighters. Backstage is a pale pink and Cosmopolite is a bronzy/taupe-y shade. I love these for a simple daytime look.  

Bobbi Brown Shimmer Brick in Bronze: This is the mini, isn't it cute? My wonderful Sephora MUA mixed this and used it as a bronzer on me. I used to have this in high school and I'm pleased that they are still as good as I remembered (though I was terrible at makeup and had no clue what to do with them when I owned them in high school, haha). 

Givenchy Cream Shadow in Rose Illusion: This makes a really nice base for eye makeup. It's kind of like a Paint Pot but thinner. I need to check out the other colors in the range and also more Givenchy in general.

Charlotte Tilbury Lip Liner in Pillow Talk: Nude but not too nude, and the texture is perfect.

Surratt Hevyn: Also nude but not too nude. Surratt's sheers are also quite long lasting for sheers.

Cle de Peau Enriched Lip Luminizer in (I think!) 234 Black Currant: I don't technically know the shade of this lipstick because the holder and the refill are sold separately. The SA put this together at the counter for me and I don't want to break it accidentally. It's a sheer lipstick in a deep berry shade with a hydrating formula. I can wear a tiny bit for a stain or more for an evening look. It actually lasts quite a long time and there is no feathering like there can be with dark sheer colors. It doesn't translate in the photo but this is the most beautiful lipstick I own IRL-- reminds me of a '20s cigarette holder.

Dior Addict Lipstick in 535 Tailleur Bar: This is another nude mauve. It is shinier, sheerer, and less long lasting than the Surratt, but it is a lovely shade nonetheless. Also, it was a gift from my mother so it makes me think of her when I wear it.

Aww, thanks @blueviolet21! I'm happy to have inspired such beautiful flowers 🙂

Huh, I made a post but I think it got eaten? Was it something I said? Grump. Well, here's the picture again. IMG_1283.JPG

@fairlywell I've had a few of my posts get kicked to the Spam filter if I try to edit them more than once within a few minutes of having made the post.

Not sure why and the mods never answered me to confirm, it's just been my particular experience.

@Mochapj Good to know! That's exactly what happened. 

hiiii. it's still just the beginning of sept so i figured i'd bump this thread incase anyone else wants to participate this month !

@jemly I very strongly dislike the new BIC. This thread should have been on my front page!  Happy belated birthday, it looks like you made the most of it! When do we get a lip of the day with that black NARS? 

I can never find my favorite threads these days, but better late than never, right?

Obviously, I loved the Nars Charlotte Gainsbourg collab, especially the Multiple Tint in Jeanette and Lip Tint in Ephelide (I use Promise quite a bit, too). I really hope Nars will release more Lip Tints. Also, the Nars Lip Glide in Californiacation from the Ulta set has been a favorite. And, I was lucky enough to receive the natural products gratis from Sephora and found two new favorites--RMS Champagne Rose Luminizer and Lilah B. bronzer.

IMG_7832.JPG

I'm was all about balms, sticks, and natural makeup in August.FullSizeRender.jpg

- Charlotte Tilbury beach stick in Moon Beach 

- Brow Food brow enhancing gelfix

- RMS lumanizer in champagne rose

- Ilia multi stick in At Last

- Hourglass film noir mascara

August favorites! I was traveling a ton, in stressful meetings for days at a time, and generally am just glad I made it through the month! I can't believe the BIC party wa stage same month, it was the highlight!!

Anyway, therefore, my focus is on travel size and fast, basic beauty. Travel skin and hair, mini Sole di Positano were staples in my travel bag.  At home, dry shampoo was a savior, along with the Perricone in-shower mask which wakes me up with tingling, lovely and refreshing. Basically for makeup, some eyeliner, mascara and brows was it! I hope September is an improvement!! 

IMG_0847.JPG

21244795_1841755435839850_529588827_n.jpg

So, I've never posted any favourites before, so here's some old and recent purchases that I've really been loving. (Sorry for the long post)

Clinique Sweet Sonic Brush Set

I'm in love with this brush. I have a mix of very dry and very oily skin. This does such a great job at clearing my pores and making my skin smooth and clean. I might get the brush head for acne prone skin since this one is a tad rough when I break out.

Shiseido Ibuki Multi Solution Gel

I bought this gel this month and I've already seen a huge difference. I usually use this at night after doing the rest of my skincare routine. I only need to apply a little on areas that are breaking out and I can see the next morning that my skin is much less red and my acne is healing. This might just be my holy grail acne solution.

Shiseido Pureness Deep Cleansing Foam

I just love this cleanser because it's so thick and creates so much foam, especially with the Clinique brush. I have very sensitive skin and it doesn't make me break out so this one's a keeper. 

Aerin's Lilac Path

This is the first perfume that I've had that I've fell in love with. I've walked by some lilac trees this summer and this perfume smells exactly like them. It's so perfect for spring and summer, but I'll still use it in autumn and winter because I can't get enough. 

The Face Shop's Watery Tint in Red Cherry

This is perfect for when I want a more natural look without having to worry about reapplying lipstick all day. It fades beautifully and the packaging is adorable. 

Bareminerals Gen Nude Liquid Lipcolor in Juju

This is my favourite lipstick. It works with everything so it's easy to grab for it everyday. It's creamy, moisturizing, pigmented and most importantly, it smells like brownies. What more could you want?

Kat Von D's Tattoo Liner in Trooper

I'm pretty sure most of you know this product, so I won't go into details. Got it for Canada Day and I was blown away. My favourite part is the brush. It isn't hard like a marker (which I find tend to dry out) and it isn't super long and flexible like other eyeliners I've tried. It's perfect. 

Tarte's Rainforest of the Sea Quench Lip Rescue in Nude

This is the best lip balm I've ever tried. I used to use Maybelline's Baby Lips and those seem so drying in comparison. I usually use this in the winter or before applying lipstick and it does wonders. I'll definitely be buying a full size of this before the coming winter season.  

FullSizeRender-2.jpg

August Faves!

Nars Linda - I love this shade so much that I'm a little bitter it's one of the shades from the release that they decided to make LE, because I feel this sort of colour is sorely missing from the current Audacious range. A beautiful rusty, caramel brown in a lightweight, creamy formula. 

Kahina Giving Beauty Serum - I've been using this on and off for about 6 months and I wasn't wowed by it at first, but when I finished some other products and moved towards using it daily, I was pleasantly surprised by the results. I've noticed an improvement in brightness and texture since I started incorporating it daily.

Bite Beauty Pare Liquified Lipstick - another beautiful rusty shade, in a glossy, comfortable finish. A flattering colour for me that's easy to wear when I don't want to think too much about my makeup look.

Givenchy Rosy Black Ombre Couture - another one that took me a while to warm up to, when I first got this in July I was confused because it was neither rosy nor black, but having worked with it a little more, I've found it's very lovely for adding smoky depth to more banal looks.

Chanel Trance - when I first saw the Neon Wave collection come out in June, I was immediately attracted to this and the copper (Beat), but I thought this was gold. In person and on my skintone it is a dirty khaki metallic with a tiny hint of a blue shift - really unique and quite beautiful. Shades that present as true green tones on my skin are hard to come by; this is another one of those I'm mad it's LE items.

Chanel Road Movie - my most worn makeup item of the month. I brought it with me when I traveled. I wore it on date nights. I wore it when I did makeup for no reason at all. It's surprisingly wearable for a blue palette and it bears a passing resemblance to some of the neutral and teal shades in ABH Subculture. It can be dressed up or down, and made subtle or dramatic. I don't love a ton of Chanel quads, but this is up there with last year's Candeur et Experience for me.

NARS Hydra - for when I want to up the intensity of the Chanel above, Hydra is amazing for adding tonal shimmer, and also beautiful on its own.

NARS Burning Love Velvet Lip Glide - this wasn't the shade I was expecting to be my favourite when I bought the set, but it's the one I've worn most since I got it. It's brightening, but still neutral enough to work with both warm and cool makeup looks.

Celvoke Mandarin Infiniti Color - this can supposedly be used for eyes and lips and cheeks but all I care about is that I've finally found the perfect copper for eyes. It's a rich, orangey tone, is easy to blend and applies smoothly without creasing.

RBR Sea of Showers Seas of Illumination - I haven't had much luck with liquid illuminators because of my oily skin but I received a sample of a few RBR shades with a recent order and Sea of Showers has changed my opinion. It was lovely straight out of the jar but I let it dehydrate a tiny bit and I now absolutely adore the subtle sheen and how it works with my skintone. It makes me look luminous without looking highlighted. 

Dahlias - it wouldn't be August without a bunch of dinner plate dahlias and I've been enjoying their beauty all month long.

@Mochapj Those flowers looks beautiful and the copper eyeshadow looks stunning 😍 

Thanks @SpaceLlama!

Love the way you took this photo with the flowerpot! 

Also, I need to know-- where/how did you get your hands on the Lip Glide set in Canada? 😮 I've been eyeing it for a while now; I don't think I like the colour selection quite as much as the Sarah Moon set I missed last winter, but the song reference names are a huge bonus and I do love pinks on me. 

Thanks @concreteroads !

I ordered the lip glide set from Ulta - they ship to Canada now. I had a few things I wanted to pick up so I purchased them together to get the free shipping.

4 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 27 replies
  • 125 Hearts Given
  • 15 Contributors
Photos11
  • august 2017 favorites
  • IMG_20170828_193246619.jpg
  • August-Favs.jpg
  • FullSizeRender-2.jpg
  • 21244795_1841755435839850_529588827_n.jpg
  • IMG_0847.JPG