Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Lip Lovers
|

Super Dry Lips

Any recommendations for keeping your lips hydrated? I want to wear a liquid lipstick for my wedding but feel that I may need a balm as a primer or in general another product to keep my lips from drying out. My lips are very sensitive and I find myself constantly reapplying lip balm or Aquaphor.

Tags:

Re: Super Dry Lips

I am not sure if you have tried HUDA BEAUTY Liquid Matte Lipstick . I found that this product does not dry out my lips as much as some other liquid lipsticks. If you are open to other suggestions that are hydrating but not liquid lipsticks, I would like to suggest a few Glow Recipe Glow Lip Pop Lip Balm Watermelon . This is a gorgeous shade of a bright pink that is very hydrating. It also comes in the shade blueberry that is more of a berry shade. Another suggestion is LAWLESS Forget The Filler Lip Plumper Line Smoothing Gloss Rosy Outlook . I know that it is OOS at the moment but I also find that it does leave my lips fuller and more hydrated. It also tints my lip a pretty shade of pink.

My favorite for dry lips is the hanalei oil lip treatment. They come in a couple shades and in clear. The applicator is a little weird, but I used to have chronically dry and chapped lips and now they’re smooth and moisturized. I personally found that the laneige lip mask dried out my lips more but I’m apparently in the minority on that, so I either use the clear hanalei treatment at night or just pure lanolin from Amazon as a lip mask. 

@RaineArredondo  Aquaphor contains lanolin and your skin could be sensitive to that ingredient. Or, you might need to use a humectant on your lips in addition to Aquaphor, or switch from Aquaphor to something that contains both petrolatum and a humectant. The first thing that comes to mind is CeraVe Healing Ointment: it contains the humectant hyaluronic acid, plus moisturizing ceramides. Have you ever tried that as a lip balm? 

I use Aquaphor (the healing ointment, not the product specifically marketed as a lip balm) daily as my lip balm, but I also use a lip serum beneath it. Actually, the product I use is marketed as a lip cream (but it's not moisturizing enough on its own for me, so I top it with Aquaphor): Glossier Bubblewrap. It contains 2 forms of hyaluronic acid, a peptide, and various antioxidant sources. I never use it anywhere else on my face and I need just a tiny amount for my lips, so one tube lasts a long time. 

Also: petrolatum doesn't cause dryness. Petrolatum is the most occlusive moisturizing ingredient available in skincare. Whatever hydration is on your skin (including your lips) will be sealed in by petrolatum. The trick is ensuring you've got enough hydration in the first place. That's where humectants come into play. Also, make sure your lips are damp before you apply a petrolatum-based lip balm. This provides more hydration to seal into your skin. 

And: congratulations on your upcoming wedding! 

Thank you for the recommendation. I will be ordering this tonight!

Fresh lips is my all time favorite! 

Hi there! Thank you for the recommendation. Are you referring to the Fresh Lip Balm? I saw a few different ones

Laniege Lip Sleeping Mask has changed my opinion on lip-moisturizing products.  I used to constantly reapply balm as well, but I realized that it must be the ingredients that are not working for me (nod to what Raine A. said.  I also noticed that keeping myself hydrated with water and supplements (fish oil, hylauranic acid) helped me immensely.  Finally, so does using a humidifier at night(I got a decently priced one on Amazon!).  I agree with the prior recommendation that exfoliating is a great technique.  I have not had to exfoliate since incorporating what I stated above, but it did help when I had dehydrated skin. LANEIGE Lip Sleeping Mask Intense Hydration with Vitamin C Original .  I will note that there is a slight berry/strawberry scent/taste.  But, it did not irritate my skin. 

Interesting! I will most definitely be moving our humidifier to the bedroom to give that a try. I have been using the Laneige lip mask you mentioned but am still experience a lot of dryness so figured I needed to switch around my routine. Thank you for the recommendation 

Okay here are some things to look out for:

1. You may constantly be reapplying lip balm because it has petroleum jelly or alcohol in it. These are both ingredients that are common in lip products that can dry your lips out more which is why you put more on.
2. good ingredients in lip balms are butters like Shea, mango, and cocoa. Then wax’s like beeswax. And oils like coconut, almond, castor, grapeseed, and jojoba.

3. It’s not just lip balms, lip scrubs deeply moisturize your lips to. My favorite is the handmade heroes coconut sorbet lip scrub. My favorite lip balm is the Summer Fridays Lip Butter Balm Vanilla 

4. there are certain brands that don’t work for most people while they may seem effective, there really just drying your lips out more. Brands like carmex, chapstick, and even aquaphor.  Btw Burts bees is a great lip balm brand.

overall I would suggest a lip scrub for twice a week before using a simple tube like Burts bees. (Remember to be gentle with your lips when applying lip balm or a scrub. If you do go with a scrub, remember if your to harsh your lips can bleed! So be very gentle)

hope this helps!!

I appreciate your super thorough response!

I have been hearing great things from the Summer Friday Lip Balm so I will be ordering that along with the laneige lip treatment mentioned above. I actually had tried the Burt's Bees Tinted Lip Balm about 2 weeks and it made my lips incredibly dry but it may have been from overapplying or harsh applying as you mentioned. I will most definitely try the exfoliation method- thank you so much!

Ofc! Btw yes I should have said the tinted formulas tend to fry out everyone’s lips!

Conversation Stats
  • 12 replies
  • 20 Hearts Given
  • 8 Contributors
testing