cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Lip Lovers
|

No Lipstick Looks Good on Me

Hi guys!!!

I have been looking for a lipstick that looks good on me for years but everytime I buy one it always looks bad!

I have bought all different types of pinks and mauves and it just looks straight up rough haha.

I tried to buy a pink nude a few times and everytime I do they always pull coral/peach which i don't like. 

I have fair skin with cool undertones and I'm honestly about to give up haha. I have found plenty of glosses that I love though but I just want a lipstick!This is what my skin tone looks like!This is what my skin tone looks like!

Any advice or recommendation would be great!

Re: No Lipstick Looks Good on Me

@catonellie What are some of the glosses you like? It’ll help me with some suggestions ☺️ also, are

you pairing the lipsticks with liner? I’ve made a few questionable lipstick purchases that were saved by a good liner! The right liner can help mitigate some of the tones if you find something you almost like

@catonellie Have you tried blue based reds and pinks? I personally have a fondness for "fancy" pinks and those shades look horrible on me so I've had to learn which shades of pink will look good. Maybe gather all the pinks that looked terrible and see what they have in common and then avoid that quality.

Try MAC Sin or Russian Red. Stay away from the yellow base red colors except when going for an 80s retro look. You have really good skin and lip color naturally so there’s that. Your lips with gloss are hard to beat. 

you know, is there anything more complicated than lipstick colors?

I agree with a previous poster that to an extent, a new color is not going to look 'right' on you until you get used to it. Then there is also just what you like. Sounds like you want a very specific color family.

And the most confounding mystery of all is .. why do some lips pull lipsticks into totally different colors? It's not in your head.  I am in the opposite camp as you and pull everything pink (and of course I hate wearing pink lipstick -- don't own a single one).

So coming from someone whose lips turn a bright red lipstick into flamingo pink, here are some pointers --

-for a quick fix, put foundation on your lips. I don't think this is ideal since the extra layer is going to get in the way of your lipstick application/wear, but if you already have a lipstick that isn't working, give it a try.

- you need to find the colors that your lips play nice with. for example, my lips turn red into flamingo pink, rust red into red, a deep burgundy into berry,.. so I kind of have learned to just adjust the shade I am buying to the shade I want. No one can tell you exactly what the conversion of this is, but it sounds like your lips are turning colors warmer.

- super pigmented lipsticks are your best friend, and these are going to show up true to their color. I will tag a few at the end of the post that I have found stay true to their color.

- first, wear what colors you want, that make you happy and confident. If you want to wear bright blue lipstick, of course you can, and it doesn't matter that it's not the most "flattering" color. However, in your search for your favorite lipstick colors, you might learn that the colors you are looking for -- rose pink, mauve, are not actually the colors that you feel the prettiest in.  You have gorgeous skin and hair.  There might be a soft peach color that you try on and fall in love with.  or a rust red that looks dark too dark in the tube, but when you try on looks soft and makes your eyes pop.  

Lipstick is super fun. I hope you find lots to love!

NARS Powermatte Lip Pigment American Woman

PAT McGRATH LABS MatteTrance™ Lipstick Flesh 3 109

MELT COSMETICS - Lipstick

KVD Beauty Studded Kiss Crème Lipstick Noble

DIOR - Rouge Dior Lipstick

FENTY BEAUTY BY RIHANNA - Poutsicle Juicy Satin Lipstick

Anonymous Insider

What you have on your lips looks great on you.

@catonellie  Try MARC JACOBS BEAUTY - Le Marc Lip Crème Lipstick - Kiss Kiss Bang Bang 216. It’s a lovely pink rose that I think would really flatter you! 

@catonellie  I’m also going to recommend Bobbi Brown Crushed Lipstick in Babe, Urban Decay Vice Lipstick in Ravenswood and Backseat, and Bite Beauty Amuse Bouche Lipstick in Pepper. Sorry I can’t tag them, my phone is wigging out for some reason! 

Thank you so much for taking the time to list all of these out!!! I appreciate it!!

@catonellie  No problem! Hope you find something perfect! But remember, when you first try something new it’s gunna look a little “weird,” so don’t be afaird to give things a bit of getting used to. 

NARS Afterglow Lip Balm Orgasmis pink with a peachy undertone.  It would look amazing on you!

Thank you!!!

3 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 11 replies
  • 21 Hearts Given
  • 8 Contributors
Photos1
  • This is what my skin tone looks like!
testing