Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Lip Lovers
|

Looking for the perfect red

Hi! I've been looking for the BEST blue toned red lipstick out there. So far, my favourite one is the shade "Starwoman" from the Nars Powermatte collection. Any other recommendations?

RE: Looking for the perfect red

My favourite is actually a drugstore formula! NYX soft matte lip cream in “Amsterdam” 💋

Re: RE: Looking for the perfect red

That's a gorgeous shade on you, @samkeaysxo . Lovely nose stud.

The best red is the liquid lip by fenty

Re: Looking for the perfect red

These are two of my favorites, @louannerioux .

20190729_100404.jpg

MAC Dare You

20190729_102411_resized_1.jpg

MAC Ruby Woo.

@louannerioux you can try

MAC Ruby Woo

Pat McGrath Elson

Urban Decay Bad Blood

Nars Dragon Girl

@louannerioux I'm another vote for Pat Mcgrath's Elson. I adore reds and that's my favorite. My first true red which I still love and recommend if you don't want a matte is Clinique Cherry Pop. It's a cream formula and absolutely gorgeous.

Pat McGrath in Elson. I got the recommendation here and bought it and it’s gorgeous.

Here are a few swatches from my collection. I didn’t include any other red liquid mattes because honestly, you already have the best one (NARS Starwoman). All my other swatches are bullets. Elson, Hi Striker, and Bad Blood are matte bullets. The rest are cream formulas. 

L: indirect interior light. R: brighter interior light.L: indirect interior light. R: brighter interior light.

1. NARS Powermatte in Starwoman: included as a reference point 
  2. PAT MCGRATH LABS - LuxeTrance™ Lipstick in Major Red
  3. PAT McGRATH LABS MatteTrance™ Lipstick Flesh 3 109
  4. MAC Satin in MAC Red
  5. ColourPop Lux (matte) in Hi Striker
  6. URBAN DECAY - Vice Lipstick (Comfort Matte) in Bad Blood

Of those, PMG Elson and UD Bad Blood are closest to Starwoman. In terms of overall performance and comfort on the lips, I’d pick Elson over Bad Blood. Swatched against the other reds, though, you can see that there are some bluer based “true” reds to consider. 🙂 

@WinglessOne - I've heard of Starwoman, but I think this is the first swatch I've seen--it's gorgeous!  I've also heard a lot about Elson, but Major Red is doing it for me!  I have a couple of MatteTrance, what is LuxeTrance like?

@Titian06  LuxeTrance is a cream satin formula. Comfy to wear, no bleeding/feathering (at least not the ones I have), high pigmentation, and they wear down gracefully. I like them more than MatteTrance. 🙂

@WinglessOne - Thanks!  🙂

So tempting @WinglessOne , if I get hooked on reds, I will have you to blame. Wish you could take me shopping for reds.

@Girly2Shoes  Heh, lipstick shopping with me is dangerous: you might end up with an armful of lipsticks instead of just one or two. 😂 

I have many different brands of lipsticks, and shades of red. You might be able to talk me into sharing them in a PM, too chicken to post them in the threads.

Thank you, so helpful!

Thank you, so helpful!

Happy to help @louannerioux as I have so many blue toned reds! My fav. Are you wanting brighter blue toned reds or deeper shades? So many great ones, will be tough to choose! You can’t go wrong with Pat McG Elson or 35MM, TFord Stiletto, Bite Sour Cherry or Tannin, LMercier Rouge Muse or Profond , BBrown Red Velvet, Mac Ruby Woo, Shiseido Exotic Red, and any Chanel- Pirate my fav and Extreme is lovely too!! On and on! 🙂 Depends on finish you want I think. So many options. Sorry I couldn’t do just one! Did I help or make worse?! If I picked just one I would say Pat M I think or Chanel. Pat def has more pigment. 💋

A beautiful red for chocolate girls with a blue undertone...

A beautiful red for chocolate girls with a blue undertone is a Smashbox prayer format in the color misconduct. it is long wearing and I get a lot of compliments

Smashbox Always on Liquid Lipstick. Matte finish in the c...

Smashbox Always on Liquid Lipstick. Matte finish in the color Miss Conduct. It has a nice blue undertone, and is long wearing.

Yea @louannerioux these guys have em covered! If you want any of my other swatches happy to help! 

Conversation Stats
  • 26 replies
  • 70 Hearts Given
  • 12 Contributors
Photos6
  • L: indirect interior light. R: brighter interior light.
  • Outdoor lighting- top to bottom then right side top to bottom: BB Red Velvet,TF Stiletto,Shiseido Exotic Red,*Chanel Pirate, Chanel Extreme, Pat M Sedition, Pat M Elson, *Pat M 35mm,*UD Love Drunk, UD Bad Blood,KVD *Hellbent, KVD Hexagram,Bite *Sour Cherry, Bite Tannin. Right side top to bottom: CT Red Carpet Red, LM Rouge Muse, *LM Rouge Profond
  • Same with indoor lighting
  • 20190729_100404.jpg
  • 20190729_102411_resized_1.jpg
testing