Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Lip Lovers
|

Lip moisturizer suggestions?

Hi. I am looking for something to help with dried and cracked lips. I have run through the products at the drug store and I find they help short term but the problem keeps coming back. Any suggestions would be great. I should say that I am a male so I am not looking for any tint or shine in the product. 
Cheers

Tags:

Re: Lip moisturizer suggestions?

Surprisingly Winky Lux is the best lipmask I’ve tried. My husband and I both had some type of reaction to Laneige which caused our lips to crack a lot more.  Tatcha The Kissu Lip Mask is a close second. Regular old chapstick helps during the day if you don’t want the thicker masks. 

Just wanted to say that if you are looking for a truly moisturizing lip product and not a temporary, visual impression of your lips being moisturized, then most hyped up products (such as Laneige) is not necessarily the way to go (although I love Laneige lip masks and own most of them).  If you are not vegan, look for something with lanolin in it, such as the original Lanostick (since you don't want anything tinted or flavored): 
#https://www.sephora.com/ca/en/product/lanostick-original-P449620?skuId=2271393&icid2=products%20grid...

For drugstore options, I'd say look into Aquaphor ointments.  They also contain some derivative of lanolin, if I remember correctly, so again, not a good option for vegans, but does a very good job at actually solving the problem of dry/cracked skin (lips, as well as all over the body).  Aquaphor has lip products and regular ointments.  I'd definitely recommend the regular ointment for lips as well;  you could just transfer some into a small container or an empty lip product tin/jar.

I just wanted to say thanks for info. All I was going for was to have lips that don’t feel dry and cracked. I tried aquaphor over my normal Nivea or Vaseline lip therapy and it was a game changer. Way better. I appreciate the advice. Being a male in their 40s getting into skincare, it can be hard to cut through product info and find out what I need vs want and what do a quality vs brand hype. 

Anytime, @madtonic! I 🙂  Glad if it was helpful...  Honestly, it's so easy to fall for packaging or hyped-up products these days...  We've ALL been there, so I'm with you there 100%!  You know, as a rule of thumb, no matter how counterintuitive it may sound, I'd say stay away from anything that smells minty because there is a very good chance that these products will contain some sort of menthol, which will actually dry out your lips...  Anything with fatty acids (such as linoleic acid, for example) will help protect your lips/act as a barrier (perfect when applied right after showering) and leave residual moisture on your lips, so it will feel good and won't be drying.  So even a very basic, shea butter-based lip product, for example, will work especially well in winter months (unless you are in a tropical climate) but might very quickly slide off of your lips in the summer.  That's why a bit of petrolatum or mineral oil isn't always a bad thing because it will make that lip product actually stay on your lips.  So it's all about balance.  A combination of fatty acids with a petroleum derivative base is perfect in my opinion.  This is probably why Aquaphor works well for you.  And, of course, stay away from heavily fragranced products as well because there is really no need to introduce a most likely artificially sourced fragrance to our lips, especially when they are in need of some extra tlc... 🙂 

@madtonic I had some difficulties with dry lips recently, and using Aquaphor at night and while sitting on the cough in the evenings really helped.  Here's my complete routine (now that it's warmer I think I can be a little less strict):

morning: LANEIGE Lip Sleeping Mask Intense Hydration with Vitamin C Original 

at work: Palmer's Cocoa Butter (the swivel stick)

after work: LANEIGE Lip Sleeping Mask Intense Hydration with Vitamin C Original (now that it's warmer, I've been back to LANEIGE Lip Glowy Balm )

evenings: Aquaphor

bedtime: LANEIGE Lip Sleeping Mask Intense Hydration with Vitamin C Original followed by Aquaphor

@madtonic I recently ran in to some lip related issues myself, which lead me to trying some new products. I also wanted a SPF in a lip balm, as I had a sneaky suspicion the cracked dryness may have been due to a sun burn. Here is what I started using, and I’ve been super happy with them both -

First Aid Beauty Ultra Repair Lip Therapy for at home use. 

Jack Black Intense Therapy Lip Balm SPF 25 for keeping in my bag to use outside. 

I will also note - Jack Black is a more masculine brand so it would be a good line to check out for any of your skin care needs while avoiding a lot of finishes you’d find in feminine ones. 

@madtonic @drinking lots of water to stay hydrated helps, not licking your lips, exfoliating your lips at least once a day, and a good lip balm

fresh Sugar Lip Polish Exfoliator 

LANEIGE Lip Sleeping Mask Intense Hydration with Vitamin C 

PATRICK TA Major Glow Softening Lip Masque She's Juicy 

fresh Rose Petal-Soft Deep Hydration Lip Balm 0.3 oz/ 10g 

@madtonic , #Jack Black Lip Balm Trio. 

For when you are not going out, Jouer Cosmetics Essential Lip Enhancer Vanilla (or the original version). I have had my lips actually crack and bleed in winter, and that has been the one thing that has revived them. HTH

Hi @madtonic ! You want a petrolatum-based balm. Petrolatum is the most occlusive skincare ingredient on the market. Make sure your lips are damp with water, not saliva, before you apply it. That way you won't seal in dryness. 

My personal favorite is plain ol' Aquaphor Ointment—not the version sold specifically as lip balm (though that one does work for some folks), just the regular version. In addition to petrolatum, it contains hydrating lanolin and panthenol. 

Some folks prefer CeraVe Healing Ointment which contains ceramides and hyaluronic acid, with no lanolin. I sometimes use it on other parts of my face, but I prefer the texture of Aquaphor on my lips. 

Vaseline, or any generic petroleum jelly, also works well. I don't use Vaseline as a lip balm because I don't like the texture, but that's just a personal preference. 

Conversation Stats
  • 11 replies
  • 31 Hearts Given
  • 10 Contributors
testing