Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Lip Lovers
|

Allergy sufferer looking for a good lip gloss

Hi! I’ve been struggling to find a lip gloss that wont break my skin out and cause small bumps all over my face. I have a nut allergy which affects the products I choose for skincare and makeup. I’ve looked at so many ingredients lists for glosses and the most common ingredient I see is “tocopherol” which is also know as “vitamin e”, commonly known to come from almonds. I’ve also seen lots of coconut derivatives such as caprylic triglyceride, coconut oil, and more. I’m also avoiding products with mineral oil! If anyone knows of a brand with lip gloss that doesn’t contain ingredients extracted from tree nuts that would be great, I feel like theres nothing out there for me and I would love to wear lip gloss again without the fear of an allergic reaction. 

Tags:

Re: Allergy sufferer looking for a good lip gloss

Hi @mxa3xy ! How about LH Cosmetics Infinity Glass? It’s a multi-use clear gloss (lips, cheeks, eyelids, etc.) that contains just 3 ingredients, and none of them are derived from nuts or mineral oil: 

Spoiler
Copy/pasted INCI list from the LH Cosmetics Infinity Glass product page: 

Hydrogenated Poly(C6-14 Olefin), Hydrogenated Styrene/Isoprene Copolymer, Pentaerythrityl Tetra-Di-t-Butyl Hydroxyhydrocinnamate.

I have this product. Mine’s in the older dark packaging, but the formula hasn’t changed and I assume the newer packaging has the same narrow dispenser as mine: 

You’ll need to squeeze a bit out and use a makeup brush, doe foot applicator (I keep disposables handy), or your finger to apply this gloss.You’ll need to squeeze a bit out and use a makeup brush, doe foot applicator (I keep disposables handy), or your finger to apply this gloss.

It feels moderately lightweight, isn’t sticky, and has no scent. It can get goopy between lips, right along the inner edges, if over-applied; to fix that, I gently roll a cotton swab along those edges to remove the excess. Here’s a very recent photo of it in action on my lips: 

Trying a gloss over one of my problem children (Dior’s Premier matte formula has performance issues, but this shade’s a gorgeous color so I’m trying to make it work).Trying a gloss over one of my problem children (Dior’s Premier matte formula has performance issues, but this shade’s a gorgeous color so I’m trying to make it work).

It’s available at the LH Cosmetics website. That’s Linda Hallberg‘s brand: she’s a pro makeup artist. I have and love several of her other products, though I don’t have a nut allergy so I can’t say if her other products are safe for you to use. I imagine trying to avoid tocopherol is very difficult since it’s in so many makeup and skincare products. I’d say I can relate, since I have to avoid all forms of lavender, but lavender extract/oil/water’s not in nearly as many products as tocopherol… still, I genuinely feel for you there. If Linda’s Infinity Glass doesn’t work for you, I hope you do find something that will. 

Wow! Thanks for the recommendation, I've never heard of this brand before and I appreciate your honest review. It looks like I'll be able to use it so I'll definitely give it a try assuming I don't try to make my own first lol. It really is hard to find both skincare and makeup products that don't contain tocopherol (and work with my oily/sensitive/acne-prone skin) because yeah, it's pretty much in everything, but I'm open to trying new things to see what works. Thank you!

@mxa3xy Have you taken a look at the covergirl clean and fresh yummy gloss? It looks like it doesn’t have any mineral oil or tree nut extracts in it from based off what i saw but you’d know what to look for better than i do.  I have the shade “my strawbooty” and its one of my favorite glosses. 

Some other lip glosses you should check out are the lancome juicy tubes and the OLEHENRIKSEN Pout Preserve Hydrating Peptide Lip Treatment Cocoa Crème (not necessarily a gloss but it has high shine like a gloss and it has a nice tint of color). With both of these when i read through the ingredients I didn’t see any mention of the things you’re avoiding but definitely double check of course in case I missed something! 

@mxa3xyoh no☹️. Well you could always maybe opt for making your own? They sell clear lip gloss base (Versagel specifically bc it doesn’t have as many ingredients) and you can add your own oils/pigment? 

That is a really good idea, I feel kinda dumb for not thinking about that lol. I'm going to start looking on Amazon for some supplies. Thank you so much for your help!!!

Thanks for the recommendations! Unfortunately I checked the ingredient lists and I cannot use either but thank you so much for trying, I really appreciate it! 🙂

1 Reply
Conversation Stats
  • 6 replies
  • 5 Hearts Given
  • 3 Contributors
Photos2
  • You’ll need to squeeze a bit out and use a makeup brush, doe foot applicator (I keep disposables handy), or your finger to apply this gloss.
  • Trying a gloss over one of my problem children (Dior’s Premier matte formula has performance issues, but this shade’s a gorgeous color so I’m trying to make it work).
testing