Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in K-Beauty

Skincare

I am COMPLETELY new to even the concept of a skin care routine. Any suggestions for where to start? Thanks! 🙃

Re: Skincare

Like some of the other commentors, I'm also pretty new to K-beauty and skincare in general so I've just gone with what I can get my hands on. I've got really dry skin so here's what I've got;

Oil cleanser- I don't wear makeup at all but occasionally when my face is feeling a bit oily or because of screenscreen amongst other reasons, I go with DHC - Deep Cleansing Oil. From what I've seen online, quite a few people love it but I just don't use it enough to get a feel for it. 

Waterbased cleanser- 

Someone before reccomended Cerve Hydrating cleanser - my reccomendation is to steer clear from that, only because my own experience with it resulted in my skin being even more dry than initially.

I currently use Innisfree's Hydrating Cleansing Foam with green tea. I didnt find my skin feeling dry at all after using this, so I've stayed with it thus far (still only on my first bottle).

Essence- I use the Cosrx Advanced Snail 96 mucin. Again, havent really branched out in terms of products, but I like it since it's really Hydrating. 

Eye cream- I've been using the Innisfree Youth-enriched eye cream with orchid. It's supposed to be preventing aging so how it works, well we'll see in a couple years lol. I've seen complaints about the fragrance but it doesn't really bother me all that much, and since it's a moisturizer specialized for the eye area, I keep using it anyway.

Moisturizer- innisfree intensive Hydrating cream with green tea seed. Since green tea is really helpful with dry skin, this cream did wonders for my face. 

I'd reccomend slowly adding products to your routine instead of all at once. That way, you'll be able to see what the product does for your skin without the interference of the other products.

The most basic skincare routine is 

1. Cleanser
  2. Moisturizer
  3. Sunscreen with at least SPF 30 

What kind of products you use depend on your skintype.

CLEANSERS:

If you have oily skin, I reccommend getting a cleanser that has salicylic acid in it, one that I liked was philosophy Clear Days Ahead™ Oil-Free Salicylic Acid Acne Treatment Cleanser 8 oz/ 237 mL  It's gentle but it can be drying so always follow up with a moisturizer. 

If you have combination skin you could maybe just use a foaming cleanser, such as the Missha super aqua foaming cleanser. 

If you have dry skin I reccommend Cerave hydrating cleanser, it's super hydrating. 

MOISTURIZER: 

If you have oily skin i reccommend getting something oil free and is lightweight, some good ones are LANEIGE Water Bank Hydro Gel 1.6 oz/ 50 mL  or Farmacy Daily Greens Oil-Free Gel Moisturizer with Moringa and Papaya 1.7 oz/ 50 mL  or you could just use the laneige cream skin toner LANEIGE Cream Skin Toner & Moisturizer 5.0 oz/ 150 mL  it's so hydrating you wouldn't even need a moisturizer. The same goes for combo skin. 

If you have dry skin then i reccommend getting a hydrating toner such as the laneige cream skin one and then get a thick moisturizer such as LANEIGE Water Bank Moisture Cream 1.6 oz/ 50 mL  or boscia Chia Seed Moisture Cream 1.61 oz/ 50 mL or you could use the cerave moisturizing cream. 

SUNSCREENS:

Korean sunscreens are the best sunscreens, they are usually high in SPF, affordable, and have good ingredients. The Missha  all around ones are really good, theres also the Biore aqua watery essence. Whichever one you choose, you should do your research first. But the one im currently loving is the Missha all around essence one. 

EXTRA STUFF: 

Serums, exfoliants, and masks are extra things that are not that important. Serums can be used every day, however masks and exfoliants are reccommended to be only used 1-2 times a week. If you want good reccomendations please reply to my comment and tell me what your skin type is so that i could help you 🙂 

TIPS:

Wear SPF every day! And whenever you are about to go to bed, you should always double cleanse using a oil cleanser or a cleansing balm, a really popular one on sephora is Farmacy Green Clean Makeup Removing Cleansing Balm  there are also lot's of good korean cleansing oils but again, you should tell me your skin type so that I could give you a proper reccommendation. 

Cleansing oils are used to take off sunscreen and makeup. A regular won't take off all the sunscreen and makeup, you should use an oil. 

Don't give up, your skin might start to purge, which means that you will get some pimples because your skin is basically pushing all the "bad stuff" out, this is a good thing. 

ALWAYS patch test before using anything, if you get irritated, i reccommend having a cold bottle of aloe vera gel ready, one i really like is the Holika Holika one. 

FINAL THOUGHTS: 

I wish you luck on your skincare journey! Sorry for my long post lol

@insertfunnyname I bought my cousin her first skincare set because she's new to it too!
I chose something with gentle ingredients for her, since I didn't know how her skin would react.
- Cleanser, Toner, Ampoule, Moisturizer.. is a great place to begin.
- & Always SPF!
(Here's also where I bought her set: --- )

Please share what items you ended up getting!
Would love the recs. 🙂

I am also pretty new to my k-beauty skincare routine! My process so far is listed below 🙂

1. Oil cleanser - The Clean It Zero Cleansing Balm from Banila Co is so nice for makeup removal and it smells delicious.

2. Water cleanser - I have tried a bunch of water based cleaners but haven't found one I love yet.

3. Exfoliate -  Dermalogica Daily Microfoliant Refillable Exfoliator 2.6 oz/ 74g - it is super gentle and made a huge difference in my skin. It helped reduce bumps and blackheads and shrunk my pores a bit

4. Toner - I use whatever toner is cheap, right now I am using Thayers Witch Hazel Toner with Rose Petal

5. Moisturize - My favorite so far is First Aid Beauty Ultra Repair Cream which I know isn't technically for face but it has worked really well for me with my combination skin

6. Eye cream - apparently I have dry eye lids so someone recommended I add in eye cream and I really like the innisfree Green Tea Seed Intensive Hydrating Eye Cream 1.01 oz/ 30 mL 

Hope you try something you like!

It's best to start simply, @insertfunnyname. You can start with as little as a gentle cleanser, a moisturizer, and a sunscreen. From there it just depends on what skin issues you want to tackle. Do you know your skin type (oily, dry, combo, normal)?

It’s normal, I think.

@insertfunnyname My favorite cleansers and sunscreens aren't Korean, so I'll let someone else chime in on those, but here are a few moisturizer recommendations you may want to check out- CosRx Oil-Free Moisturizing Lotion (very light, great for daytime use), Benton Snail Bee High Content Steam Cream, belif The True Cream Aqua Bomb, Etude House Moistfull Collagen Cream

@insertfunnyname  If you are completely new to it I would start off super simple and maybe do a cleanser, moisturizer, eye cream and spf! If your looking for good k-beauty brands I suggest checking out Dr. Jart I really enjoy their Dr. Jart+ Ceramidin™ Cream it feels so nice especially since it’s so cold out where I like. There are other brands like innisfree and cosrx that are good too. I like the cosrx snail mucin essence. 

Conversation Stats
  • 8 replies
  • 5 Hearts Given
  • 7 Contributors
testing