Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Post in K-Beauty
|

No acids or actives please

Any recommendations for skin care products and sunblock for a sensitive broken skin barrier with eczema rosacea ๐Ÿฅบ

Re: No acids or actives please

As far as sunscreen, the one I use is not at Sephora. Itโ€™s called Prequel, and itโ€™s on its own website. Good thing is that itโ€™s not super expensive and itโ€™s certified by the National Rosacea Society. It a mineral sunscreen, itโ€™s slightly hydrating and it leaves a nice glow. So far so good ๐Ÿซถ๐Ÿผ hope you give it a try and enjoy it. 

Hi @Wiii! All the other eczema and skin at experts have already given great advice. The only thing Iโ€™ll add is this thread: What works? ๐Ÿ’œ Eczema, Rosacea, Psoriasis and Redness Support 

Feel free to shop through it or add to it to help build it up as a resource for those of us with sensitive skin. 

@Wiii  Iโ€™m sorry your skin barrierโ€™s broken. I know firsthand how painful that can feel. โ˜น๏ธ 

Since your dermatologist told you to go back to basics, Iโ€™ll recommend basics that donโ€™t contain common irritants like essential oils, fragrance components, or strong actives. I canโ€™t restrict my list to K-beauty; instead Iโ€™ll focus on things you can easily find (if youโ€™re in the US). 

Hereโ€™s how I roll my routine back to basics when my skin throws a painful tantrum: 

PM

1. Start with The INKEY List Oat Makeup Removing Cleansing Balm 5 oz/ 150 mL ; let it sit on skin for 5-10 minutes as a soothing oat mask, then rinse off. If I need (and can tolerate) a second cleanse, Iโ€™ll either apply CeraVe Hydrating Cleanser Bar right atop the oat cleansing balm while itโ€™s still on my face and rinse everything off together; or Iโ€™ll rinse the oat cleansing balm off and then follow with Bioderma Sensibo H2O Micellar Water
  2. While skinโ€™s still damp, apply a basic moisturizer like Vanicream Moisturizing LotionVanicream Moisturizing CreamCeraVe Moisturizing Cream, or even a petroleum-based balm like CeraVe Healing OintmentAquaphor Ointment, or plain olโ€™ Vaseline. (Note: if youโ€™re sensitive to lanolin, avoid Aquaphor.) A petroleum balm will provide maximum moisturization and promote skin healing. 

AM

1. Gently wipe my face with a wet plush microfiber cloth, or just splash water on my face. 
  2. Sometimes I skip this moisturizer step if my sunscreenโ€™s moisturizing. But when my skinโ€™s damaged, I usually need a separate moisturizer from my PM list. Apply to damp skin. 
  3. Sunscreen is hard to recommend because it depends a lot on your personal preferences. My current favorite skin tantrum sunscreen is Native Unscented Mineral Sunscreen SPF 30, available at Target. 

During this basic routine, I put all my actives on hold, including my nightly retinaldehyde and twice-daily azelaic acid. I resume those products once my skinโ€™s in better shape. I also return to my usual PM gentle cleansers (either Abib Heartleaf Stone or e.l.f. Pure Skin Cleanser) and rotate all my other fave sunscreens back into my routine. 

You should check in with your derm about all of this though. None of us on BIC are doctors who can give you medical adviceโ€ฆ I feel obligated to say that in case any of our suggestions conflict with your doctorโ€™s instructions. Trust your doctor first. ๐Ÿ™‚ I hope your skin heels soon! 

Thank you so much!! I appreciate all the love and gold info you guys have shared with me ๐Ÿซถ๐Ÿผ

Hi there @Wiii! I have combination skin this time of year (oily lower T-zone, dry cheeks, normal forehead) with underlying dehydration all over. I have mild rosacea and a compromised skin barrier is something I deal with more often than I would like to. It's good that you are seeing a doctor as you can discuss with your doctor what works best for your skin. I've found that keeping to a simple skincare routine has been the best approach for me for happy, healthy skin - in the evenings, it's cleanser and a moisturizer or oil depending on what my skin needs (when it's dry or very dry in the cooler months, I'll go with an oil) and in the morning, it's cleanser (if I need it), moisturizer and SPF. Here are a few recommendations by category, price in parens, with Kbeauty products marked with an *. 

Cleanser:

Moisturizer:

Sunblock (mineral):

Sunblock (chemical๐Ÿ˜ž

Currently my skincare routine looks like this when my skin is sensitive and/or compromised (often) - 

Evening:

• First Cleanse - either the Tatcha cleanser or the Skin Fix cleanser
  • Second Cleanse - Bioderma Sensibio Micellar Water 
  • Moisturizer - either Dr. Jart Ceramidin or the OleHenriksen moisturizer

Morning:

• Cleanser - usually lukewarm water and a microfiber washcloth, but if I feel my skin needs a cleanser, I'll reach for the Bioderma Micellar Water
  • Moisturizer - Dr. Jart or Olehenrisen
  • SPF - it varies for me but I've been reaching for one from Saint Jane or the Summer Fridays recently

Omg!! Thank you so much for the details. I do have the inky oat cleanser, tatcha, and a few other products you mentioned, so I guess Iโ€™m on the right path.

I'd recommend checking in with your doctor or dermatologist before trying to many new items @Wiii 

What are you using right now if I can ask?

I do like SkinFix when my eczema is flaring up but your family doctor will know your skin best and what it might need. 

๐Ÿ’™๐Ÿฉต

During a flare up I go basics, just the Skinfix face wash and moisturizer. I apply the moisturizer while my face is damp to help give it extra moisture. 

Skinfix barrier+ Strengthening and Moisturizing Triple Lipid-Peptide Refillable Cream with B-L3 

Skinfix Barrier+ Foaming Clay Cleanser 5 oz/ 148 mL 

Because my skin is so bad right now, even the derm MD told me to go back to basics (water). I got two cycles of steroids and acids for rosacea, but it made it worse, so another round of steroids and water

I'm so glad you're getting help from professionals. I would follow your Derms advice right now and give yourself time to heal @Wiii ๐Ÿ’™ I know it's a long and slow process but hopefully you see improvements soon. 

( When replying @Wiii, use the @ button when replying and begin typing the name of the person you are replying too, that way they won't miss your response )

10 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 10 replies
  • 14 Hearts Given
  • 6 Contributors
testing