cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Insiders
|

Extraordinary Rewards Experience

Hi Everyone,

We wanted to take a moment to let you know that we are hearing your feedback regarding today’s Extraordinary Rewards experience. If we haven’t been able to respond to you personally yet, please know that we have read your feedback and definitely understand your frustration. The rewards sold out much quicker than we anticipated, so we were unable to send out the planned email or post to our social channels. We’re sorry if you missed out on these exciting rewards. The response has been overwhelming and we are happy to announce that there will be more extraordinary rewards coming this year.

If you have specific questions or need assistance, please PM a moderator for help. We appreciate your understanding and value the helpful feedback you’ve provided here on BeautyTalk.

Re: Extraordinary Rewards Experience

I am a Rouge customer in Canada - and checked the website within 10 minutes of receiving the email  (after 11 am EST) - and nothing was available or listed at all.  I did not know about this release prior to - so I just happened to come across it once the email was sent out.  

Unfortunately it looks like us Canadians didn't even have a chance....

I understand that there were limited quantities but definitely disappointing to receive the email in my inbox hours after everything had already been sold out (or not even available to Canadians)...  why notify your loyal customers of things that we don't even have a chance to try and get?

Phoned the customer service immediately and even though the woman was very nice she could only say "sorry -  if you can't see it its not available" 

At least you got the email - I'm still waiting for mine! 😉

More extraordinary rewards coming this year that won't be available to Canadians, either?

The quantity and timing of the release of the rewards and well as how the backlash was handled was undoubtedly a huge fail. That, I would have been able to forgive and move on from.. but how Canadian shoppers were excluded from this and have been brushed under the rug (as usual) is just not acceptable to me. 

Why have you not offered a solution, apology, or even some sort of lame excuse to Canadians? I'm tired of being treated like a second class citizen because I live over a border. I'm sure many other Canadians feel the same way. We pay significantly more for products, have issues with awarded points, spend totals, have to spend more money to receive promos, and miss out completely on certain sales and promotions. Nothing ever changes because Sephora thinks this is perfectly acceptable. This situation further proves that. This points fiasco was the last straw for me. 

You think with how much we pay extra for products that they would atleast be able to ship it to us too..

Exactly. We're not some crazy far away foreign country. We're attached to the U.S. for crying out loud. We deserve to be treated fairly. 

I would have appreciated a bit if with   "The response has been overwhelming and we are happy to announce that there will be more extraordinary rewards coming this year"   statement also include that next time we will try to be a bit organized and will release rewards on promised time instead of an odd hour of night and we will make sure that Canadian site will not have a glitch as always and Canadian clients will be offered all the rewards. I totally don't get the  " Can't be shipped to Canada" statement for rewards. When we buy same products with our money, they can get shipped but when same products are offered as a Reward or Promo, our beloved Sephora can't ship them to Canada.

I'd still like an answer as to why Canadians were left out in the cold for the Extraordinary Rewards.  I received an email about the rewards at 9:20am MST - of course I logged on immediately but the only reward available was the Josie Maran cookbook.  But there are some Canadian BTers who were aware of the release who got up in the wee hours of the morning and managed to see some of the rewards - only to get a notification that the products would not ship to Canada (in direct contrast to the claim that the rewards were available to both US and Canadian consumers).  It's bad enough that there was not enough supply of these rewards for the thousands of loyal VIBRs, VIBs and BIs who anticipate these annual mega reward events, but this also shows blatant disregard for all of the Canadian customers who spend thousands of dollars at your store on an annual basis.  What is Sephora doing to rectify this situation?

I agree with a lot of women on this forum. I've been a Rouge member now for 2 years and this is the first Extraordinary Rewards that I've ever heard of. I saw the post nearly two weeks ago and had been stalking the site since, checking before even getting out of bed in the morning.

I'd think as a Rouge member, we'd get first notice and first pick. Common sense would say that Sephora would only allow 1 extraordinary reward per person, but it seems they aren't capable of that. Additionally, from reading other BIs experiences on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Reddit, it sounds like Sephora's customer service is either completely in the dark about what is going on or they are told to make it up. I've seen so many difference excuses told to BIs by customer service, everything from "your email isn't working" to "there aren't any extraordinary rewards". Come on Sephora! If I did my job like that, I wouldn't have a job!

I remember back during the December 2014 sale, the website was down for the first day, mainly because of resellers, mostly on the other side of the world. Sephora disabled many accounts during that sale. You'd think they'd have the capacity to flag resellers. Who needs 3+ of the same 3 contour pallets or the eyeliner?

How can Sephora redeem itself? I think they should put together each set and give every VIB and VIB Rouge member a choice of set, pull points even, without the autographs. I don't care if my makeup is signed, I just want what was promised and what I spent time looking out for.

If Sephora doesn't take any further action, aside from this lame apology and gifts of useless points, I think a class action suit is warranted and we should ask for the cost of each product if purchased individually. 

Sephora keeps making missteps with its most faithful shoppers. It is sad and disheartening that something fun like makeup is turned into this disappointment and heartbreak.

I think the real salt in the wound is that this whole disaster isnt surprising. It's not unprecedented for Sephora, it's not an anomaly. Stupidity is frustrating, but predictable stupidity is just SO much worse. 

For each and every event or promotion, despite all of our experiences, we somehow find hope amongst the skepticism - some more than others as indicated by the people who were up at 12am PST because there was enough doubt in the faith that Sephora wouldn't do something like this. 

And for each and every event or promotion the majority of BIers (and to be fair, a disproportionately large amount of BTers) get crushed all over again. And it's not just the losing out of a promotion or opportunity, that would be bad enough in itself. But it stings so much more when it's coupled with the feelings of nativity and stupidity that comes with feeling duped into hoping that "This time it will be different!" Its adding the literal insult to the injured psyche. 

As the saying goes, Fool me once, shame on me, fool me twice, shame on you. Intentional or unintentional, the timing of the release was 100% preventable. That's not debatable. The timing was and continues to be the single biggest complaint. And it was entirely avoidable.

Sure people will still be mad about not getting what they wanted, not getting an email notification, cancellation of an order, etc. You're never going to please everyone, so that shouldn't be the standard. But controlling what you can control and meeting the backlash head on because you know you executed your plan exactly how you intended and have the logic and rationale to your decisions to back your actions. People can disagree with your decisions, but to know that things were done a certain way as a result of conscious decision making would go a long way towards neutralizing the frustrations. 

I have a seriously difficult time believing the executives at Sephora are as inept as these types of situations suggest. I hope those who look foolish in these types of situations start taking it personally and start doing what needs to be done to avoid continuing the trend. 

I DID receive a call back from a manager. I was able to give my feedback and I did feel as though she was sincere in listening to my concerns. Not only did I talk about how I felt that the mega reward event was handled incorrectly and I detailed why, I also stated that I feel the VIB Ruge program needs to be improved significantly. I told her that the email system is severely fragmented and a new way needs to be devised of giving your best customers information. I asked if maybe a particular section of the website could be created exclusive to Rouge members with information such as early product releases. (I told her that most of the time we have to hunt and dig for our early released products or rely on BT) also, I told her that many of the promos have been for both VIB Rouge and VIBs with no distinction in regards to the higher level. I said that Rouge members should even receive small upgrades such as two promo code boxes instead of one, more sample variety or etc. Just to give us reason to shop with your company vs other retailers or manufacturers. I will also be sent a sample bag but was given no points as a representative through twitter had already given them to me.

As far as improvements for the next mega points events, I said not only should we be given a date and time but access to them should be staggered by beauty intsider level. Rouge should be given first access. Of course, I forgot some issues I wanted to address like the extremely small amount of rewards available but i remembered a lot of things. I don't know true this is but she said that they are reading feedback they are getting from social media, emails and of course Beauty Talk. I did very much appreciate that a manager called me back.

This is very well stated! There is absolutely no difference between being VIB Rouge or a regular VIB. I actually feel pretty ridiculous for spending an obscene amount of money to get to VIB Rouge now that the two tiers are practically the same. The spring and fall discounts are the same, the rewards offered are the same and with Flash shipping there really is no incentive to spend more than the $350 required to maintain VIB status. I filed a complaint online and was not offered anything (which sadly I kind of expected even though I'm a Rouge member) and I was hoping for a little more than a "Sorry, we'll do better next time." I feel very unappreciated at this point. The extraordinary rewards may have been a huge fail, but hopefully the feedback generated here and on other social media will prompt Sephora to rethink the rewards program because the lack of customer appreciation and  mediocre VIB rouge gifts are clearly driving even the most loyal Sephora customers away. 

Thank you for this. You are absolutely correct. Why be a dedicated shopper and get to that Rouge status for virtually nothing special? Oh, we got to shop early first during a sale, so we spend more. I hope the person you spoke to sets some wheels in motion to make shopping at Sephora worth it.

Lucky you, no call back for me yet and no points (not that I want them at this point they're worthless) offered.

It would have been much more fair if an email had gone out to all BIs BEFORE the release of the perks. Yes, there still would have been major site traffic issues, but at least everyone would have had an equal chance. Instead of letting us all wonder and stalk the site, let us know that the awards will be released at X time on X day. This is a simple, FAIR, customer-friendly way to handle the situation, and avoid some of the wrath. And please do not give us that crap about not being able to release info because of "competitive reasons". We know the rewards are coming. A simple heads up just makes it so that all your customers feel valued and able to plan for (attempted) redemption.

I just want to comment because I do think Sephora should fix this problem and the more people that comment the more likely they are to do so.

The first extraordinary perk event started at 9:00 am pst.  I called 20 seconds before to connect with someone at 9.  My timing was right…but before I spoke to someone almost all of the perks were sold out (and the one that wasn't was a trip to the city in which I live).

Last time, I found out after the fact, with all perks gone.  I never even got an email notification.

This time, no email notification and I only slept 5 hours that particular night due to other scheduling nightmares unrelated to Sephora.  Only the last few perks were left when I woke up.  Excerpts from a book?  Seriously?

Sephora, there have been so many threads on this issue…your rewards program.  You need to hire someone to fix it if you can't do it internally.  Or put together a customer advisory board (made up of actual regular customers).  I'm still a shopper on your site but, like many, also buy elsewhere.

And I've personally seen so many wonderful suggestions for you on this board.  Please adopt some of them.

The BT board is perhaps the best of any retailer's online.  Move whomever set it up to running the rewards program.

If Sephora really wants to apologize, then they should make the rewards available to everyone who is eligible for them, perhaps limit one per person to be fair.  This was an outrageous tease to advertise these rewards and then not make them available.  I too did not receive an email, and when I signed on to beauty talk yesterday morning, found out from forums they were sold out.  That is incredibly unfair.  This is not Russian Roulette.  Sephora really needs to improve their rewards program and stop causing so much drama through Sephora.com.

Extremely well said and voices the sentiment of so many people. 

Fortunately for me--and unfortunately for Sephora--I have discovered the awesome customer service, GWP, and MOST IMPORTANTLY, the professionalism of Neiman Marcus, Nordstrom, Saks and Bloomingdales. Between all of them, Ulta, and ordering from the companies directly, there's nothing I need to get from Sephora anymore. I don’t rely on any Sephora-exclusive brands that I either can’t find elsewhere or find a suitable replacement for. Even my foundation—MUFE--isn’t enough to keep my business, because I now have a contact so I can order it direct from the company.

So this will be the end of my Rouge status...probably even the end of VIB.  Pity for Sephora. That’s about $5,000+ a year of business lost to their competitors. The only action Sephora will be getting from me will probably just be on BT.

Sephora cs saying that they should get released in the noon, but something wrong happen or some say they just hacked sephora website, but if u guys remember on may 4th evening, someone saying they called cs for points adjustment and the cs lady said u have 1000+ points, good luck for night, u can grab one. So that mean, sephora did this intentionally, they know tht rewards are getting released in the night. So sephora u cheated ur customers literally. Now saying we didn't expect, pure lie.

Honestly, that's a pretty pathethic apology, Sephora.  At least when Urban Decay and other companies do their faux "sold out!" bits, they produce and distrubute more. 

(well, except for LORAC...and I bet after the cult followings the Pro Palettes have plus the way MegaPro sold out in less than day, Sephora is kicking itself for dropping the brand)

To say you didn't expect the rewards to sell out as fast as they did is in my opinion a patent lie.  You honestly didn't learn anything from the Dior/Bite fiascoes?  If you didn't, then the company is being run by fools.

I've never posted before but I come here often. I've been waiting all week checking my email, sephora.com, and the app for these mega rewards and I'm completely frustrated with the outcome. If I just knew ahead of time, the time and date, I wouldn't have been that upset when they sold out because at least I got a chance to try. When I called the rouge line they gave me the same talk and apologized that I missed out and that there would be more rewards but no more mega rewards for a long time. She then offered me 500 points for my inconvenience. Inconvenience?! I'm not inconvenienced, I'm completely frustrated that I've wasted so much money at sephora when there are cheaper avenues out there to get my favorite products. Why would I want 500 more points? I don't use my points because there's never anything of value to me when it comes to the rewards. When I asked why there wasn't any mega rewards exclusively for Rouge members she didn't have an answer (I didn't expect her to), the gist of our convo was "better luck next time." Within the last few months I've been buying all my hair care at ULTA because they have a bigger selection for my hair care needs and now I think I'll make the complete shift to ULTA and Nordstrom.  You've lost a valuable customer Sephora. As for my favorite brands like Boscia and Korres that aren't offered at ULTA. Boscia has their own reward program that I'm going to join and Korres is almost always cheaper on HSN. I'll miss some of my favorite products that are exclusively to Sephora but I'll find replacements, that are just as amazing I'm sure. Your reward system is pathetic. Sephora doesn't have to pay for these "delux" 100/200/500 point samples. The companies give them to Sephora to promote their product. Sephora is losing nothing and gaining profit, profit, profit.

testing