Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Clean at Sephora
Anonymous Insider

Beginners guide

I am an 18 year old who has never wore makeup before. I have been focused on grades and getting to a college that I didn’t pay much attention to my skin. The only Thing I do is wash my face, moisturize and use lip bomb. If anyone could tell me where to start that would be great. Right now I’m exploring foundations and finding one that matches my skin tone.

Re: Beginners guide

@Anonymous I would get a good skincare routine down, doesn't necessarily need to be involved. When you start with makeup, you'll need a good remover before a cleanser - not all break makeup completely or at all. Long wearing and water resistant/proof is harder to remove, even if it's just a standalone spf..which should be worn daily to get adequate protection and best anti ager.

As for makeup, get samples at Sephora and department store counters. They both can color match. For foundation, swipe from jawline to neck, the one that blends in completely us the match, *but* check in all types of lighting- lighting is key..everything changes in lighting, even wall colors. Also learn your undertone, some shades complement, others wash out, depending on undertone.

Sephora does offer classes or could find your own MUA that teaches on you.

Re: Beginners guide

@Anonymous IMO skincare is more important than makeup- and I would personally recommend adding moisturizer with sunscreen (if yours doesn't already) and an exfoliator of some sort.

Otherwise, if you're just starting out with makeup I would consider the kind of look you want and very seriously consider the time you're actually willing to spend each day- worrying about grades is going to continue into the next four years (at least). 

I personally don't wear much makeup generally, so my "everyday" (which is still more like 2 days a week at most lol) is just a tinted moisturizer to give a more perfected look and provide SPF, a tinted balm or neutral-ish lipstick that's close enough to my natural color to not have to use a liner, mascara, and a brow gel. Eyes, lips, brows are the main features of your face so a little goes a long way while still looking very natural.

For days I'm feeling more ambitious, I use a primer, foundation, and setting powder before a light contour using a powder bronzer, a blush, and a touch of highlighter near my temples and on the top of my nose. Setting powder helps set the foundation, obviously, but it also creates a less tacky surface so it's easier to blend out powder blush, highlight, and bronzer so I generally apply it right after my foundation. Then still the brow gel, mascara, and lip and I will occasionally actually do something with my eyes other than dab some brown shade around the outer edges to provide some dimension. This is a more "glam" look, but generally still comes out very natural looking.

Starting out, I would go the easy/first route because it is more foolproof, less expensive (because there's less products), and a good way to test the level of commitment you are willing to have with a makeup routine

Sorry for the dissertation, good luck!

Conversation Stats
  • 2 replies
  • 2 Hearts Given
  • 3 Contributors
testing