Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Post in Haul Stars
|

Magical May Hauls 2024 ๐ŸŽฉโœจ

My oh my, May is here! ๐ŸŒฑ๐ŸŒธ It's time to show off all the magical must haves you picked up this month.

Let's give our hauls a moment to sparkle and shine! โญ

1000017278.gif

๐ŸŽ‰And of course a huge shout out to all the May Birthday Beauties! ๐ŸŽ‰

Wishing you all the most magical month. ๐ŸŽˆ๐ŸŽ

1000017279.gif

May also holds a special day for all the Mama's, Aunts, Grand Mama's, and all the ladies who play a special role to the kiddo's in thier lives. ๐Ÿ’ Happy Mother's Day to all of you! ๐Ÿ’

If you are pampering anyone this month, we'd love to see what you've picked out. ๐Ÿซถ

Happy Haulin! ๐Ÿ›๏ธ 

Re: Magical May Hauls 2024 ๐ŸŽฉโœจ

Thank you @faeriegirl ! 

Congratulations! ๐ŸŽ‰ ๐ŸŽ‰  @WinglessOne that's sooooo fun! You got to attend the live event and now you have something special to remember it by. Yum, top notes with bergamot and a little Jasmine and Vanilla in there? I bet it's really nice ๐Ÿ’

Thank you @CynthieLu ! Bergamotโ€™s a top note in many Harlem Candle Co.โ€™s fragrances, so if you love that scent, the brandโ€™s got you covered. Josephineโ€™s bergamot morphs into a warm jasmine heart note on me. Itโ€™s a very pretty fragrance.

I definitely have a weakness for scents like bergamot and jasmine. ๐Ÿค— @WinglessOne I'm going too have to keep this brand in mind in case I come across anything of thiers to smell. 

@WinglessOne @Amazing candle haul. 

Thanks @SportyGirly125 !

Fabulous,  if you love candles just go for it

@CorgiMommy  Haha, thatโ€™s how I wound up with way too many candles in the first place. ๐Ÿ˜… Iโ€™m gonna need new candle storage furniture at this point. 

They nailed it on the packaging @WinglessOne 

@lmaster  Right? The candle jars and diffuser bottle are also lovelyโ€ฆ I should pull everything out of boxes for another group shot to really show โ€˜em off. But the boxes are so nice. 

Nordstrom and Ulta: 

I intentionally picked shades Sephora doesnโ€™t carry, so I could use other retailer rewards instead of my most recently acquired Rouge Reward (which Iโ€™ll use for different goodies).I intentionally picked shades Sephora doesnโ€™t carry, so I could use other retailer rewards instead of my most recently acquired Rouge Reward (which Iโ€™ll use for different goodies).

Swatches & notes: 

Spoiler

NARS Talc-Free Powder Blush shades Obsession and Teased - picked up these 2 โ€œmore pigmented than Orgasm Edgeโ€ shades for $0 OOP with Nordy Notes, so I can give this blush reformulation a fairer chance. Havenโ€™t used either on my cheeks yet since I just got โ€˜em, but will this weekend. As a big fan of NARSโ€™s former powder blush formula, Iโ€™m worried about how this new versionโ€™s performance will compare. 

I did do some comparison swatches tonight: these 2 new shades vs. 2 former-formula shades NARS didnโ€™t carry over to the new line. I figured Tease might be close enough to Couer Battant to satisfy anyone who missed out on CB when it was still available. Obsession seemed closest to Libertรฉ in the pan, but the swatch in person is definitely yellower than Libertรฉ; still coral, just not as red toned as the old shade.

3E7CA2AA-24E8-487D-AD68-99B3FCF0BFC5.jpeg

Lancรดme Lash Idรดle Tint Ultra Precise 3-in-1 Metallic Liquid Eyeshadow shade 05 Sand Storm - curiosity demanded I try one of these. Thank goodness these liquid eyeshadows arenโ€™t fragranced. ๐Ÿ˜… This shade felt very lightweight on my hand and spread easily with the doe foot. My swatch photo includes a blurry closeup to show Sand Stormโ€™s pink and gold pinpoint sparkles. 

DC3A9152-0AD0-4FFF-AFF4-8DC0E2D7F252.jpeg

Olaplex No. 9 Bond Protector Nourishing Hair Serum 3 oz / 90 mL - the brand was on sale at Ulta, so I decided to try this product. I normally use No. 3 a couple times a month (Iโ€™ve tried other Olaplex products and No. 3โ€™s the only one Iโ€™ve stuck with) but No. 9โ€™s new to me. Itโ€™ll be interesting to try! 

The Ordinary Retinal 0.2% Emulsion Serum 0.5 oz / 15 ml - Ulta had a point multiplier for the brand, I needed to restock anyway, and the price is low enough that I donโ€™t feel awful about breaking my โ€œstop letting point multipliers trick you into paying out of pocketโ€ goal for 2024. I donโ€™t know yet if this retinal will replace my beloved Avรจne RetrinAL 0.1 Intensive Cream; I need to get through a full ounce of TOโ€™s retinal before calling it, and these tubes are just a half ounce each. I do really like TOโ€™s though. Itโ€™s a step-up in retinal strength for me (0.2% vs. 0.1%) but my skinโ€™s handled the intro ramp-up so well, Iโ€™m already at nightly use. 

Love a good Nordy haul.๐Ÿ˜ @WinglessOne  Still haven't decided what to use my Notes on.

Thanks @Buootiful ! Iโ€™m sure something at Nordstrom will jump out and shout โ€œheeeey I hear you got some Nordy Notes, wanna use โ€˜em? Cโ€™mon, you know you wanna!โ€ Not that my Nordy cart ever gets filled that way, nooooโ€ฆ ๐Ÿ˜‚

Hope the blushes work out for you @WinglessOne . I don't need any new blushes at the moment but Nars has always had such a good formula I'm intrigued as to how the are. I don't understand why Sephora seems to have skipped out on so many shades (at least for now)

Thanks @makeitup305 ! I assume brands decide how many shades to let another retailer sell. NARS has done it before with their powder blush range and lipsticks; I donโ€™t think Sephoraโ€™s ever sold all (or even most) shades of NARS blush. The brandโ€™s arrangement with Sephora might be different from Nordstrom in terms of shade range, and itโ€™d be interesting to find out why Eh, maybe Sephoraโ€™s getting more shades later. 

I wound up not wearing any makeup over the weekend, so no blush test. ๐Ÿ˜’ Will do that this week instead. 

@WinglessOne Tag me with your thoughts when you do. I mostly think the whole "clean" beauty trend is purely marketing so I'm intrigued as to how the formula performance has changed.

@makeitup305  I wore Teased today and I have thoughts. 

First, lemme cross-post my photo from the100 Days of Lipstick Challenge

I blotted Anne Lilac down at the perimeter of my lips for a softened look.I blotted Anne Lilac down at the perimeter of my lips for a softened look.

Summary: the new blush formula trades buildable color and very easy blending for full powered pigmentation. Still blendable, but not as easily as the old formula. 

Longer feedback: 

Spoiler

I used my favorite powder cheek brush (Chikuhodo Z-4, a grey squirrel small cheek brush) to apply Teased. With Coeur Battant (old-formula shade), I normally sweep my Z-4 a couple times across the pan and then do my usual stamp and buff application. But with Teased, I just lightly dipped the Z-4 once in the pan to get a very small bit of color on the brushโ€”and I wound up having to buff more than usual on my cheek because holy pigmentation, Batman! If Rare Beautyโ€™s liquid blush was a powder, itโ€™d be this NARS reformulated powder blush. 

Also, I donโ€™t think Teased blended out with the Z-4 as easily as Coeur Battant does. I know Teased doesnโ€™t look super bold in that photo up there. Thatโ€™s because I buffed and buffed and BUFFED and buffed to blend it out. On my skin tone, the lighter shades like NARS Talc-Free Powder Blush Orgasm Edge โ€“ 778 (I have the mini size) still need building up, unsurprisingly, so pigmentation power may vary across skin tones. 

I wonโ€™t call Teased a bad performer. Iโ€™ve used far worse powder blushes that were barely (if at all) blendable and had other issues. And I didnโ€™t need to use a powder foundation or anything else over Teased to tone it down or soften its edges. I mean, it does blend. Just not as easily as the old NARS formula. Iโ€™m no cosmetic chemist, but Iโ€™m 90% sure this is because the new formulaโ€™s missing talc. 

Teased did last all day on my cheeks, so NARSโ€™s blush is still long-wearing. ๐Ÿ‘ And it doesnโ€™t feel dry and chalky to me. I still donโ€™t think it feels as silky as the old formula, but that could be personal bias; itโ€™d be interesting to have someone help me do a blind swatch test where I canโ€™t tell which pan/compact Iโ€™m feeling. 

Oh, and I do appreciate that NARS has made these blush compacts refillable, so now I can just buy refill pans instead of full compacts. 

The โ€œcleanโ€ bandwagon: Iโ€™m sure folks are tired of hearing my usual rant about โ€œclean beautyโ€ and how itโ€™s nothing but a fear mongering marketing scam (Iโ€™ve noticed Sephoraโ€™s trying to hook environmentalism and sustainability into their โ€œcleanโ€ ranting; I wish theyโ€™d separate that out from โ€œcleanโ€ since thereโ€™s actual scientific data for the environmental aspect). So I wonโ€™t repeat the whole thing. ๐Ÿ˜… I donโ€™t think NARS has marketed this blush reformulation as โ€œcleanโ€ thoughโ€ฆ all marketing Iโ€™ve seen (or stopped to read) has focused on the formula being longer wearing and more pigmented than the old formula, plus vegan. (Vegan =/= โ€œclean.โ€) I havenโ€™t picked through all NARSโ€™s marketing, but from what Iโ€™ve seen, Iโ€™m very happy they havenโ€™t publicly slapped the โ€œcleanโ€ label on this blush reformulation. 

@WinglessOne I'm with you on the "clean" perspective. I prefer that brands keep to the "free from" whatever than just slapping a clean label on it. It's still a little pandering to scare tactics imo but a better alternative. 

The blush looks great, especially with your lippie. Sorry it took so long to blend but your efforts paid off. I need to bust out my Nars blushes this week. They're quite old at this point but they should still be good. The only products I have that are specifically Talc free are the Hourglass Veilโ„ข Translucent Setting Powder - Talc Free and the HAUS LABS BY LADY GAGA Color Fuse Talc-Free Blush Powder With Fermented Arnica . I did find that the Haus Labs needed more buffing than other blushes. I attributed it to the fact that it was fully matte and I usually don't set my face but the lack of talc might be the culprit if you experienced the same issues with the new Nars formula.

Nice hauls @WinglessOne .

@WinglessOne  great haul! Those blushes are so pretty and vibrant, and the liquid eyeshadow is beautiful! I hope the products you're testing work out well for you.

Conversation Stats
Photos125
  • 1000017278.gif
  • 1000017279.gif
  • 17144986994738838166369396453455.jpg
  • 1000017375.jpg
  • 1000017377.jpg
  • IMG_4273.jpeg
  • IMG_4839.jpeg
  • DC3A9152-0AD0-4FFF-AFF4-8DC0E2D7F252.jpeg
  • 3E7CA2AA-24E8-487D-AD68-99B3FCF0BFC5.jpeg
  • I intentionally picked shades Sephora doesnโ€™t carry, so I could use other retailer rewards instead of my most recently acquired Rouge Reward (which Iโ€™ll use for different goodies).
  • Okay, NOW Iโ€™ll stop buying so many candles this year. :D
  • 17146722456176014968085215806512.jpg
  • IMG_4283.jpeg
  • IMG_4288.jpeg
  • IMG_4097.jpeg
testing