Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Fragrance Fans
|
Anonymous Insider

Best in show--Amber or Tonka

Hi all,

I'm looking for some recommendations.  I'm really fond of tonka bean, amber, and warm but not sweet smells.  I adored L'Origin's Santal et Amber (santal=sandalwood), but as soon as I discovered it--they discontinued it.  ARGH!  

I tried Aerin Lauder's Musk and Amber and it was okay, but it was like Amber perfume to wear to a convent--had the right opening notes, but no base and nothing a little animalistic or sexy.

Any suggestions?  Thanks!

Re: Best in show--Amber or Tonka

@Silverettesome not-too-sweet ambers listed from dirtiest to most office friendly

• Serge Lutens, Ambre Sultan. Rich, dark, resinous and spicy with some vanillaic warmth. It's a little musky but nothing scandalous.
  • L'Artisan Parfumeur, L'eau d'Ambre Extreme. Resinous opening, powdery dry down, every so slightly naughty.
  • HERMÈS L'Ambre des Merveilles Eau de Parfum 1.6 oz. Works as an evening scent but you could also get away with wearing this in the office. Luminous

There's also the Tom Fords, Amber Absolute and Rive d'Amber but these are dreadfully expensive.As for tonka, there's the Hermessences one, Vetiver Tonka. It's nice and snuggly but I wouldn't describe it as sensuous. Also very pricey and you need to love vetiver.

Commodity Tonka - it's kind of powdery, so not sure if that's what tonka's supposed to smell like..?

Have you checked out Tom Ford? I know he uses tonka in a few of his fragrances and Jo Malone has one with Myrrh and Tonka. I've read really good reviews on that one, but haven't gotten my paws on it. 

@Northernrn I have tried the Jo Malone's Myrrh and Tonka and it was sickly sweet (at least to my nose). I had to return it because it gave me a headache.

4 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 Hearts Given
  • 5 Contributors
testing