cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Post in Dry Skin
|

What works? ๐Ÿ’œ Eczema, Rosacea, Psoriasis and Redness Support

โ€Œโ€Œ๐Ÿ’•โ€Œโ€Œ Hi Everyone.โ€Œโ€Œ๐Ÿ’•โ€Œโ€Œ

Do you hae Eczema, Rosacea or Psoriasis? Redness?

At some point you have searched for help, products,routines anything to help with the scale or redness.

I think making place where we can share what's worked, (or working ๐Ÿฅณ! Woo hoo!) anything you've had success with as easy information for anyone going through it. 

We all know that what works for one of us, may not work for others. But hearing your success โ€Œโ€Œ๐Ÿ™Œโ€Œโ€Œ is something we can celebrate togeather!

We can encourage anyone having a hard time with thier skin. It can feel so difficult and lonely, and maybe something you have learned can help someone else along the way. Let's do what BIC's do, and help each other out โ€Œโ€Œ๐Ÿ–คโ€Œโ€Œ๐Ÿฉถ

tumblr_m08o69y7Dc1rqfhi2o1_250.gif

โ€ƒ

Re: What works? ๐Ÿ’œ Eczema, Rosacea, Psoriasis and Redness Support

Hooray for progress @CynthieLu! Every little bit helps.

I wonder how this would compare to Tower 28โ€™s SOS line. I had a flare up yesterday but Iโ€™m running low on my tower 28 serum. My skin was extremely unhappy and flakey today. 

I like trying The Inkey and The Ordinary for the low price @JoSometimes 

If you try it and it dosen't work, you do have the option to return it too 

Yeah it wasn't doing anything for my overall redness ( I'm red on my cheeks and nose) so it was sitting on my shelf but than I was just like, hey maybe it will work on a flare up, so I've been using it twice a day after serum before mousturizer and I started to noticE healing, so yeahy! 

My Eczema has always been an issue on my cheeks and hands with odd patches in places here and there sporadically.

The only way I can avoid it on my hands is by avoiding most cheap handwashes, always wearing dish gloves for cleaning, and patting my hands dry with a towel, absolutely no rubbing.

And keeping up with moisturizer after any contact with water

My skin barrier must be weak because it gets so upset very quickly, so avoiding triggers is my bestdefense.

My cheeks only flare up in dry/very cold weather or if I use a product that is too harsh for me.

For my cheeks, the only products that work for me to keep my skin from acting up, have been Ceramides.

Products from the Cerave or Eucerin line are OK for my skin.

Elisabeth Ardens Ceramide line up, The Super Start Serum especially. My skin receives those sooo well. It's just so expensive.

I have used Ceramide serums from Glow Recipie and I'm trying out a Ceramide treatment by The Inkey List to see if they work for my skin.

Last year and so far this year I haven't had my usual all over Cheek Redness.

I do think wearing the mask last year protected my cheeks from harsh winter weather, and I know some people had issues wearing the mask, but my skin was totally OK with it. (Where I am now there are no current mask mandates)

I only wash my face with soap in the evenings, double cleanse to remove all my makeup and spf. Skipping the morning wash with soap for just water is working out really well. 

My night Routine is:

1- Inkey Oat Cleansing Balm 

2- Laneige-Waterbank Cleansing foam (there are a few others that work for me to)

3- Superstart Serum or Inkey Ceramide Night Treatment or Glow Recipie Ceramide Redness Reducing Serum

4- The Ordinary Niacinamide Serum

5- Moisturizer (Eucerin or Laneige Water Bank , Inkey Peptide , Seaweed Overnight Cream PTR, I have a bunch of moisturizers depending how dry my skin is feeling)

My am routine after washing with only water

1) Ceramide Serum

2) Niacinamide 

3) Glow recipie moisturizer, pink juice or Plum Plump depending on how dry I am. This stuff makes my skin look nice lol

4) SPF, Dr Jart Cica or SuperGoop

I might use a toner a few times a week, but my skin will get angry if I do it to often. 

I'm having trouble posting tags to products, and the glitch is making this hard to post, I hope this makes sense โ€Œ๐Ÿ’™โ€Œ
๐Ÿ’™

Thanks for sharing @CynthieLu! Iโ€™m going to look into some of these.

Itโ€™s interesting that your skin doesnโ€™t seem to like toner. Everyoneโ€™s skin is different. 

And I stopped using the app and just log in through my phoneโ€™s web browser. The app is smoother and more seamless when shopping around, but I find the BIC portion of the app doesnโ€™t work as well as the browser version. There always seems to be some issue that just doesnโ€™t work. 

I should have said that is my current Winter Routine @JoSometimes I can use more things on my face when it is happier, and it is much happier when the dry cold weather leaves.

So for toner, I can't use it very often, once a day maybe if it's gentle but I usually just aim for a few times a week, if my cheeks start getting any redness, I cut it out for awhile. Using Retinols, or Aha's or Bha's I try to spread them out. So a few times a week I'll use a retinol, or The Buffet Serum by the Ordinary. But same thing,  I have to cut things off I notice any redness creeping up on me and than just keep everything very basic. 

Right now I'm trying a few new body lotions by Curel. Eucerin had no sale lately and I always turn and read ingredients and I liked what I saw (Oatmeal, Aloe, Ceramides) and these bottles were 6$(on sale) instead of 25$, hopefully my hands like it ๐Ÿคž

Hi there @CynthieLu ! I'd be more than happy to put down my routine at this time (I live in the Midwest so we usually see some harsh cold temps) and if anyone has questions I'd be more than happy to answer. I want to point out that some of the items you may be like "wait, what??" but as many of us know once you find something that actually works I don't want to kick it to the curb.

For reference I deal with Eczema, I have dry (somewhat sensitive depending on what I am doing) skin, I have some dark spots/uneven skin tone that I treat mainly on the peripheral of my face from not using sunscreen when I was younger (by no means was I a "sun worshiper" I just didn't wear sunscreen - dumb on my part), and I also have autoimmune issues that can wreak havoc when it flares up. Also for some reason straight up hyaluronic acid serum and products where hyaluronic acid is listed as the main ingredient do not play nice with my skin and dry me out really badly.

For skincare: If I am not going out these are the products and steps I use them in both AM and PM:

I cleanse my face with Boscia purifying face wash - I find that gel cleansers play well with my skin. This one gets my skin clean without residue and also without stripping my skin too terribly. I HATE film that can be left by "gentle" cleansers.

Once a week (sometimes every other week in the winter) I use Pixi Glow Peel Pads as a chemical exfoliant. With 20% glycolic strength in the pads I use them on clean skin (avoid the eye area!) let it sit for at least 2 minutes and then wash it off. It's a gentle chemical exfoliant which is really important for skin cell turnover. Plus the perk of using a chemical vs a physical exfoliant is that the likelihood of making small tears in your skin is greatly reduced. You can leave it on for less time and build it up if you're not use to glycolic. I like these better than the Dr. Gross ones and they're more affordable.

After cleansing I apply fresh Rose & Hyaluronic Acid Deep Hydration Toner (it does have fragrance but it doesn't upset me). I then use The Ordinary Ethylated Ascorbic Acid 15% Solution 1 oz/ 30 mL as a spot treatment for those darn dark spots (I'm pretty fair skinned so it's something that needs to be addressed). I find if I use this all over my face it does upset my skin probably because it is a vitamin C. After that goes The Ordinary Resveratrol 3% + Ferulic Acid 3% 1 oz/ 30 mL all over my face - this stuff is AWESOME! It has helped shrink the pores on my face so much (I did one of those scans of my face that dermatologist offices use primarily to sell you product and I was in the 98th percentile of having very little to no visible pores *squee*). It's a bit of a thicker serum so it helps with moisture. I then apply #Clarins Double Serum Firming & Smoothing Anti-Aging Concentrate . I really don't think this does very much as I used it on it's own for over 4 months a LONG time ago but it is an excellent hydrating and final step serum that plays nice so it stays in the mixture. It does a great job of sealing in everything I have applied so far. I do warm up every serum that I put on my face - meaning that I put it on my fingertips and rub the product between my fingertips before I apply to my skin.

Then comes eye and face moisturizer. My eyes are a huge area of contention when it comes to my eczema so I apply Vaniply ointment to both my undereye area and also my brow bone and the corners of my eyes. That's it when it comes to the eyes - I have never found a serum that hasn't irritate my under eyes and TBH the ointment has done a pretty great job of hydrating the area so I don't really have any major wrinkles/crow's feet (this old gal is over 35+ lol). I apply it liberally. I then seal everything in minus the undereye with Vanicream moisturizer. I put a large pea size amount on my forehead and one dollop on both of my cheeks and gently rub it in. Both of these products are endorsed by the National Eczema Foundation and have a really lovely list of things they don't have in their products. As I also deal with Eczema on my arms, legs, and trunk this same moisturizer gets used there as well. These items are THICK so it takes a while to absorb and you really can't put makeup on top of it. Finally if I'm really dry I apply a rosehip seed oil to my face The Ordinary 100% Organic Cold-Pressed Rose Hip Seed Oil 1 oz/ 30 mL works great for this. I usually wait at least 10 minutes before applying the rosehip oil in a gently tapping motion to let my moisturizer and everything else get a moment to sink into my skin (IDK if anyone has an absorption issue as well but it can take a moment for stuff to really sink in for me). I don't really use any tools *example Gua Sha* as I don't want to upset my skin. I use my fingertips for everything.

If my Eczema has flared especially under my eyes I do have 2 prescribed ointments I can use. With the regiment that I use this has become less of an occurrence thankfully. 

I know this is really long. If anyone is interested in what I do for under makeup I'd be more than happy to answer that. I hope this helps!

This is so helpful and informative @niki172 

I am going to look into the #The Ordinary Resveratrol 3% + Ferulic Acid 3% 1 oz/ 30 mL I have large pores over spots where my Eczema used to break out all the time, my cheeks. I wonder if this could  be helpful for me  ๐Ÿ’• 

@CynthieLu I really love that serum! Ferulic Acid is really a powerhouse ingredient and other brands that offer it can be REALLY pricey. The Resveratrol is also lovely as well for anti aging. I really hope it works for you!

Hello everyone! Iโ€™ve had eczema all my life. It was mostly on my arms or legs through my teens into early adulthood, but it flared up on my forehead last year. Hereโ€™s what I currently use that works for my eczema. They donโ€™t cause irritation or leave my skin feeling tight or dry. 

Cleansing

Farmacy Green Clean Makeup Removing Cleansing Balm 

Great for melting away makeup or SPF without leaving skin dry or tight feeling.

The INKEY List Hyaluronic Acid Cleanser 5 oz/ 150 mL

A good  cleanser that adds some hydration back into the skin while also cleansing. It does remove makeup, though some waterproof formulas may need a little more elbow grease. Best used as part of a double cleanse.

Exfoliation

Dermalogica Mini Daily Milkfoliant Exfoliator .45 oz / 13 g 

This worked well to remove any dry, flaky areas of skin but still gentle on my skin.

Indeed Labs Facial Powdered Exfoliator

A drugstore dupe for dermalogica. Itโ€™s a more value-conscious choice but still works well. 
First Aid Beauty Facial Radiance Pads with Glycolic + Lactic Acids

These are great for prepping skin for makeup.

Toner

First Aid Beauty Hydrating Toner with Squalane + Oats 6 oz/ 177 mL 

LANEIGE Cream Skin Toner & Moisturizer 5.0 oz/ 150 mL

Iโ€™ve juggled between the two. In terms of how my skin felt, they both seem to be about the same. 

Serum

The INKEY List Hyaluronic Acid (HA) Hydrating Face Serum 1 oz/ 30 mL

Replenishes hydration. I love this one and it has become a staple in my routine. I can feel a difference whenever I forget to apply some. 
Dr. Jart+ Cicapairโ„ข Tiger Grass Serum

A calming serum that is supposed to help heal the skin. I have a much smaller bottle. Canโ€™t remember if it was a sample or if they discontinued their smaller size of this.

Tower 28 Beauty Mini SOS Daily Rescue Facial Spray 1 oz/ 30 mL

I used to wonder if this did anything to my skin, until one day my skin was extremely red and angry! I spritzed some on and my skin calmed right down a few moments later. I use it as a quick way to keep myself from clawing my skin off during really bad flare ups. 

Tower 28 Beauty SOS Intensive Redness Relief Serum with Hypochlorous Acid 2 oz / 59 mL

Another staple in my routine. This really helps tone down redness and irritation.

Moisturizer 

SEPHORA COLLECTION All Day Hyaluronic Acid Hydrator Moisturizer

Another one of my staples. I usually donโ€™t notice any dryness until the end of my work day, so it does the job. Itโ€™s great in the summer, but sometimes on really cold, dry winter days, it falls just a bit short.

Skinfix Eczema+ Dermatitis Face Balm 0.48 oz/ 13.5 mL 

This is nice and calming too, and usually the last layer before any SPF. It also helps seal everything, which has been especially helpful in the winter. It comes in a small package, but a little goes a long way!

SEPHORA COLLECTION Overnight Hydrating Mask 1.69 oz / 50 mL 

I just started using this one. It works really well overnight and my skin still feels fairly good if I have a lazy morning and donโ€™t get to my morning routine right away. 

SPF

Clarins Dry Touch Facial Sunscreen SPF 50 Non-irritating and doesnโ€™t leave any white cast. Itโ€™s supposed to also help with hyperpigmentation. Not sure if it really has helped with that, but the other two pros I listed are enough for me to recommend it. 

Makeup

SEPHORA COLLECTION Best Skin Ever Liquid Foundation 

This is my current foundation. I find the coverage to be medium. Itโ€™s not drying or irritating and I can wear it all day without issue. Itโ€™s also a good price point compared to other options. 
SEPHORA COLLECTION Bright Future Gel Serum Under Eye Concealer

This works well to cover and brighten without being drying. And itโ€™s affordable too!

HAUS LABS BY LADY GAGA Triclone Skin Tech Medium Coverage Foundation with Fermented Arnica 100 Light Neutral 

I tried this during a makeover at Sephora and I really liked it. I wore it all day without issue. Itโ€™s nice and light without being drying or irritating. 

Body

Skinfix Eczema+ Foaming Oil Body Wash 12.5 oz/ 370 mL 

A calming body cleanser that doesnโ€™t leave me feeling dry after a shower. 
Avene TriXera Nutri-fluid lotion

This oneโ€™s on the higher end of drugstore lotions and it works well! Itโ€™s a really light formula, which makes it easy to apply, but itโ€™s plenty moisturizing.

CeraVe Moisturizing lotion

Another drugstore lotion. I like this one too. The formula is a little thicker than Avene.

Hands

Skinfix Eczema+ Hand Repair Cream 3 oz/ 89 mL 

This works well to tame irritation and keep my hands moisturized. 
Moroccanoil Hand Cream 

I used some of my points to get a mini version and now it lives in my bag for when Iโ€™m out and about. Great for after washing my hands while working or running errands. It smells nice and fresh too! I know scents and eczema donโ€™t usually play nicely together, but this hasnโ€™t irritated my hands at all. 

Re: What works? ๐Ÿ’œ Ezcema, Rosacea, Psoriasis and Redness Support

@niki172 @JoSometimes your success's โ€Œ๐Ÿ™Œโ€Œ with your eczema and skin issues are inspiring, I thought of both of you when I was making this post, a place to share your stories and products that have helped you. ๐Ÿฅณ 

I had such Eczema in my teens and 20's, having advice or even some one to talk to about it would have made the experience much less awful, I'm sure of it.

I discovered my Eczema was linked to a weak skin barrier and ceramides have been yielding amazing results for me. I still struggle wearing foundation, I have skin damage from past treatments and my cheek skin is rather rough. โ€Œ๐Ÿ™ƒโ€Œ 

I stumbled across Ceramides from a very thoughtful Rep for Elisabeth Arden who recommended Super Start to me. A ceramide heavy serum. I've found less expensive alternatives now, but it started my skin on a road to recovery and it's been amazing to have less breakouts of my life long friend โ€Œ๐Ÿ˜…โ€Œ

Thanks @CynthieLu! I know a lot of people have at least one of these conditions and I recently found out that October is eczema awareness month. This is a great idea! Sharing is caring as they say.

I wouldnโ€™t say Iโ€™ve successfully dealt with my eczema. Iโ€™ve just found products that have helped keep my skin calm and moisturized. I still have some damage across my forehead that also makes foundation tricky. Some days, with lots of moisturizer I can get it to look decent, but most of the time, I hide it behind my bangs. My next skincare goal is to try and undo some of that damage. If anyone knows of products that help with uneven skin texture, discolouration, and wrinkles, Iโ€™d love to know!

Iโ€™ll post my current recommendations in a separate post so their easy to find. ๐Ÿ˜Š

Ahhh I see, my outlook on it is that these skin issues will be with me my whole life, when I find products that work, I have it more under control, I've reached an understanding on my skin etc that is my definition of a little success. โ€Œ๐Ÿฆ„โ€Œ

For me it was out of control for so long ๐Ÿ˜ช 

Thank you! If you could reply to the main post with a link to the post you make when you create it, that would be so awesome! I'm hoping to make a little spot where finding others stories and helpful hints is easy to navigate lol

Right? We all know someone with these issues and we all struggle without support โ€Œ๐Ÿ’•โ€Œ

I have uneven texture too, where my treatments used to be. Over time they are slowly healing but I am interested to hear if you find anything helpful in that area ๐Ÿ’— @JoSometimes 

@CynthieLuI meant to say I was going to post a separate reply to the main post you started. Words are hard sometimesโ€ฆ ๐Ÿ˜…

Also, you mentioned some ceramide heavy products? What are you currently using?

I'm going to make my post about it soon @JoSometimes I am suffering from the glitch affecting my posting ability. I need alot of time and patience to get it to work and post, especially if I start tagging products and i have life things atm ๐Ÿ˜†โ€Œ thank you so much for sharing what is working for you!โ€Œ๐Ÿ’–โ€Œโ€Œ๐Ÿ’–โ€Œ๐Ÿ’– I'll post soon!

Conversation Stats
  • 55 replies
  • 185 Hearts Given
  • 6 Contributors
Photos2
  • tumblr_m08o69y7Dc1rqfhi2o1_250.gif
  • FAE051A3-19D9-4E2C-814E-DEB4CE312E6E.jpeg
testing