Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Dry Skin
|

Toner

I've been told that since I have dry skin that I shouldn't use a toner. Is this true? Or do I just need to find the right one? 

P.S. I also have sensitive skin.

Tags:

Toner

Most Korean toners are formulated without alcohol and drying ingredients. Check out Sephora's k-beauty section or try one of Cosrx's toners (non-Sephora and very budget-friendly). Toner should return your skin's pH after cleansing, add a first layer of hydration and prep your skin to receive the products you apply afterwards, allowing better absorption. If toner is still removing makeup, you should re-evaluate your cleansing routine.

Re: Toner

Toners have come a long way. Back in the old days, a toner was synonymous with an astringent (which I read as: harsh) but nowadays there are many different toners out there. Moisturizing, balancing, exfoliating, etc.

With that said, not everyone will need a toner. I have combo normal/oily skin and I do not use one. I use the double cleansing method so I don't need a toner to remove residual makeup. You just have to find one that's right for you. With that said, definitely stay away from toners that have denatured alcohol or "alcohol denat." listed, especially those listed near the top of the list (I'm looking at you, Clinique). Denatured alcohol has NO place in skincare and that cooling feeling is just that: a feeling. It does not do anything for your skin and will cause damage in the long term, if anything.

@tlcaravello OMG NO NOT AT ALL!!! Whoever told you that is a filthy liar. You need a toner for a few reasons: 

1. It tightens your pores so that all the nasty particles that you come into contact with on the daily are WAY less likely to clog them (aka less breakouts!!!). 

2. It removes left over makeup that wipes and simply washing your face can't pick up (it sounds fake, but it's so true. I can't even tell you how many times my face has looked clean and after toning it there's still left over makeup on the cottonball/pad).

3. If you have sensitive skin, it slowly desensitizes it because of the alcohol and whatever else is in there. 

I posted a blog about skincare for dry skin (link below), that you can read for more details, but this is a summary of what's in there regarding toning. 

Hope this helped!!! 

https://theplasticglamtast.wixsite.com/plasticglam/single-post/2017/12/13/Hydrated-Skin-IS-Possible-...

Toner

Any witch hazel toner with no alcohol. Thayers witch hazel is good...right now I'm using Dickinsons witch hazel with no alcohol and I like it too.

I have dry, sensitive, rosacea skin.

I skip out on astringent toners. The thing I use in place of it is Hado Labo Gokujyun (Rich) which is a hyaluronic lotion, but it's water like toner and helps moisturizer be received well by the skin. 
They have Light/Moist and Rich which has 3 different forms of Hyaluronic acid and one that is Premium that has 5. 

I can't recommend this stuff enough. It's safe for my rosacea skin, and doesn't strip my already dry skin. 

Otherwise, I skip out on toner all together. I have a damaged skin barrier - to add an astringent toner would just damage it further. So I go moisturizing or none at all.

I also have dry, dehydrated, sensitive skin and was told to stay away from traditional toners. I was in my local Sephora and it was suggested to me to try Caudalie grape water and although it doesn’t have all of the same qualities of a toner, it would definitely help with hydration. I was also directed to the Fresh rose deep hydration toner with real rose petals which is an alcohol-free toner. I purchased the grape water at the time and am obsessed with the cooling feeling (I also have redness) and overall hydration it provides for me. I am seriously considering getting the rose toner as well but haven’t done so yet. Hope that helps 🙂

@tlcaravello There are a lot of toners for dry skin! I myself can’t recommend any particular type as I have combination skin. Try typing ‘hydrating toner’ in Sephora’s search bar to see what comes up!

Yes, you can still use a toner, I would suggest one without alcohol so that it doesn't contribute to drying your skin out more. My favorite alcohol-free toner is Thayer's Rose Petal Witch Hazel

RE: Re: Toner

Yep, this is what I was going to say! Avoid alcohol in toners as that is just going to make your skin even more dehydrated. I like Epicuren’s Protein Mist to refresh my skin and SW Basic’s rose water spray!
Conversation Stats
  • 9 replies
  • 9 Hearts Given
  • 10 Contributors
testing