Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Dry Skin
|

Light-Medium Coverage foundation - retinol skin (dry/flakey)

Hi everyone,

I started 0.5% prescription Tretinoin 2 weeks ago and woke up to major flaking the next week with a few acne here and there… I was told I’d have a purge. Never expected it to be this flakey though. I have good moisturizing products and use a konjac sponge with warm water/ oil cleanser in the mornings to help with the flakes. My main issue now being none of my foundations look good anymore. I had dry/dehydrated skin before I started tret and my go to makeup was Dior Dior Forever Skin Glow Hydrating Foundation and Shiseido Synchro Skin Radiant Lifting Foundation . They look so cakey and ugly now even if I put a little bit on (I use a beauty blender) and my husband says it looks like I have put too much on like a mask (stage makeup). And I agree with him, it looks very unnatural. I can’t not wear foundation because I just don’t feel confident without it because of the bad scarring. And my confidence is taking an even greater hit now more than ever. I know patience is key but if anyone has a good skin tint or foundation that is light to medium coverage For EVERYDAY USE. Or light coverage skin tint with a great concealer recommendation??? + a gentle exfoliant recommendation would be more than welcome. 

I really would appreciate any help I can get. Thank you and have a lovely rest of the week!! ☺️❤️

Re: Light-Medium Coverage foundation - retinol skin (dry/flakey)

Hi...i have dry flaky skin as well.   I tried Ilia True skin serum and it didn't seem to stick to my flakes.   It is a light-medium coverage and moisturizing foundation.

On the other hand, ensuring that your skins barrier is intact.   Believe it or not, but a very thin layer of Vaseline after your nightime routine helps seal in the moisture and prevents it from evaporating.  I just started this and so far so good for me.    Vaseline is non-comedogenic.

Hi @Glimmernglaze  that was my experience when I started on prescription tret as well. Here's what helped me.

• I changed the frequency of how I was using tret. I began using it 1 time a week for the first month, 2 times a week the second month, 3 times a week the third month and so on. This helped a lot with the flaking/peeling.
  • My skincare routine after cleansing in the am is (in this order):
    • eye cream
    • facial oil
    • good moisturizer
    • sunscreen *super important especially when using tret (I like Supergoop brand)
  • Gently exfoliate your face once a week (check out my thread regarding scrubs:  https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/Everything-about-Scrubs/m-p/6037033)

I have found that less is best with foundation, I actually use the same foundations you mention and sometimes I just blend out a couple spots of concealer. Keep up with your tret regimen, it is worth it! 🤗 Hope this helps.

Thank you @AMK721 for the reply and I’m so glad to hear from someone that’s gone through this process.. it really helps!! ☺️ Both the above foundations are medium-full coverage and I find that it’s just sitting on top of my skin instead of melting into it beautifully (like it did before), I think it’s because of the flaking and dryness. Do you have a lighter coverage skin tint/foundation you would recommend for everyday use?? And yes, I was thinking just yesterday about sheering out my base makeup and using concealer on spots just so that it doesn’t look like too much. I’m glad that’s your suggestion as well. ☺️ I will definitely look into your post on scrubs/exfoliants because I need a lot of help in that department as well 😂

@AMK721  thank you for the suggestions. ☺️ I’ve tried the Charlotte Tilbury one and it looked dry and this was before tret so I don’t think it’ll look any good now. I’ve heard so much about the Estée Lauder one and it’s on my list of to try/buy. I’m going to definitely give that a try now. Also, thank you so much for giving me advice on how to start tret and a good way to slowly increase the frequency, my derm didn’t give me so much info lol 😅 so it was really nice to get a good routine to keep up with as things are still new to me. ☺️ I hope you have a lovely rest of the week ☺️

@Glimmernglaze  you are very welcome. Slowly introducing tret was a great help to me, so I'm happy to pass that info along.

@Glimmernglaze  depending on your budget there are a couple of "lighter" foundations that I really like.

TOM FORD Traceless Soft Matte Foundation

Charlotte Tilbury Airbrush Flawless Longwear Foundation,

#Estee Lauder Futurist Hydra Rescue Moisturizing Foundation

Conversation Stats
  • 6 replies
  • 7 Hearts Given
  • 3 Contributors
testing