Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Dry Skin
|

Dry Skin and Foundation - HELP!!

Help!! I have terribly dry, thick skin that seems to be aging by the minute!! I have sought advice in store more times than I can count, but still feel embarrassed by how my make up looks!! It looks very dry and breaks up a lot!! Skin care routine: Milk Cleanser, Dermalogica Daily Microfoliant, HydroPeptide HydraFlora Probiotic Essence Toner, SkinMedica TNS Eye Repair, Lancôme Genifique Serum, HydroPeptide Moisture Reset Phytonutrient Face Oil, Lancôme Visionnaire Advanced Corrector. Dermalogica Multi Vitamin Thermafoliant (once a week). I also get facials with Dermaplaning every 6 weeks. Makeup: Lancôme La Base Pro Makeup and Face Primer, MAC Studio Fix 24-Hour Smooth Wear Concealer - NW30, Lancôme Teint Idole Ultra Wear 24H Long Wear Foundation - 270 Bisque W, RCMA Translucent Powder. I switched to Lancôme foundation after having similar results with the Smashbox Studio Skin 15 Hour Hydrating Foundation - 1.15. My skin looks so much better without foundation except I have darker hollows under my eyes and redness on my cheeks. I am open to any and all suggestions please!!

Re: Dry Skin and Foundation - HELP!!

I have super dry skin and all foundations ended up looking dry and cakey. I finally found a few that were pretty good, and then one or two that are really really good! I was using Lancome like you, then switched to tarte Sea Water Foundation. But the two foundations below, I have found are the BEST over dry skin: 

1) Dior Dior Forever Skin Glow Foundation SPF 35 1 Neutral - BEST. Pricey, but amazing for dry skin. You can’t even tell you have makeup on — it looks SO smooth, natural and beautiful on! SOO worth the high price tag! The concealer is amazing too! ( Dior Dior Forever Skin Correct Full-Coverage Concealer )

2) Josie Maran Vibrancy Argan Oil Foundation Fluid - Really really good for dry skin. Doesnt look cakey! Has argan oil in it, so is super good on dry skin

All of the above I have found are good on dry skin — but the Dior Glow is the best. You definitely want to stick with a Dewy foundation and NOT a matte foundation. Also, SKINCARE makes a huge difference. I see you have a lot of skincare which is great! As you know, If you exfoliate, it will help MAJORLY. Using Dr. Dennis Gross Skincare Alpha Beta® Universal Daily Peel Pads at least 1-2 times a week would make an enormous difference. Many sephora reps agree that this is the best skincare product in the store. Also, face oil before makeup as well. 

hope this helps! 

I feel like you do so much to your skin and probably does not help😕 I have the same dry skin like yours, Nars radiance work great for me. I tried mac producst before and they only made my skin more crisp and dry! I keep my day and night regimen very simple and on point. At night I use pure jojoba oil for my dry skin. Im also on topical creams for acnes day and night so this is making me more dry! 

Hi, I would recommend you to take it easy on the skin, maybe not using a lot of products at once. If you wash your face and it immediately feels tight and dry, you should change your cleanser and sue a less abrasive one. And maybe not using the daily microfoliant everyday. I also like the Youth to the People mask that I link here, I use it one my dry patches since those cling onto makeup and it ends up looking crusty, so this helps me hydrate these patches. Let me know it this was helpful. Follow me on instagram: genuine_skin_

Have a great day!! 

@angiej2118 

I've had dry skin since my teens, (50s now, skin under control & looking decent!) and at its worst, it was because I was stripping my already dry-prone skin. from looking at your routine, I feel like this may be part of your problem, too, but also some of your products may be at fault. 

Maybe dial down the exfoliating to 2-3 times per week at most. My feeling here is that you may be overdoing a couple of steps, stripping your skin; but also maybe not getting a deep enough gentle cleanse daily from those primers and longwear cosmetics-- longwear, primers, anything with silicone-y ingredients build up till they block your pores, and that means possibly enlarged pores and skin that can't absorb all your great skincare well. 

\

Check your serums & moisturizers-- is there dimethicone? Because that just smooths over skin, giving it a temporary appearance of smoothness while gradually blocking pores and starving your skin of moisture. Is there alcohol high on the list of ingredients? That will dry you out. 

Check out these details and relegate offenders to footcare status. Make sure that you're getting a good oil-based cleanse before your foaming cleanser on days you wear primer. Consider whether you need primer at all, not everyone does. I only wear them when on stage; you might only need one in certain situations.

Add in a nice moisturizing face mask once a week; I like Sephora's oatmeal mask. You might like something more lush. The Josie Maran products mentioned in this thread are fantastic, I have some of then in my rotation too. 

PS-- so jealous of your beautiful brows!

Hi Angie! I’ve been dealing with this my whole life, and then I discovered Josie Maran Argan oil products. I recommend the Josie Maran Argan Infinity Cream Intensive Creamy Oil 2.2 oz/ 65 mL  - it’s supposed to be a spot treatment but I use it as a moisturizer. I never have dry skin anymore, and it’s perfect to make my foundation go on smooth

the basic Argan oil by Josie Maran is good to have on hand too, I mix it with foundation, conditioner, or just use it as a moisturizer. If you want to take it a step further (which I have) use  Josie Maran Vibrancy Argan Oil Foundation Fluid Supernatural RG10 ... in your color...best foundation ever for dry skin. She also makes a concealer which is amazing as well! I see you like Lancolme products. For skincare, I use their Honey Foaming cleanser      (amazing) and Tarte’s Knockout toner for exfoliating. An AHA/BHA like  Dr. Dennis Gross Skincare Alpha Beta® Universal Daily Peel Limited Edition 30 Treatments + 5 Bonus might be good to use once a week as well, but the toner might be enough.

Hope this helps, good luck! 

@ced0704 That foundation is wonderful! My mother & I both love it, and I know of many younger women that do too. It's has such a great natural finish and feels nourishing.  

Conversation Stats
  • 6 replies
  • 11 Hearts Given
  • 5 Contributors
Photos1
testing