Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Dry Skin
|

At a loss

I’m at a loss with my makeup and no matter what I do I can’t seem to make it look good. I have spent so much money and time on many many different products and am so unhappy with the finish of my makeup every time. I’m not looking to spend much more money and am trying to work with what I have. In the attached picture is my makeup today, it looks disgusting to me settling into all pores and fine lines. My skin looks dry and patchy. I started with Tula primer. I applied it cosmetics CC cream all over with a beauty blender sponge. Then concealer by maybeline, baked and set with a setting powder. I do use setting spray as well. I try to  blend everything out with my beauty blender and no matter what everything settles into my under eves, I have dry skin and have good skincare, use an eye cream and lots of moisturizer. If I don’t set my makeup with powder it becomes separated and patchy and slides all over my face. I’m at a loss and maybe it just looks this way because of the texture of my skin. I just want it to look hydrated and smooth. My makeup looks good from a far but up close it looks gross. I’m thinking of using a foundation brush instead of a sponge, trying to use my fingers for concealer and using less setting powder. Any suggestions are appreciated. I need HELP!

6E4D1587-A3F6-4192-89B0-82A590711373.jpeg

Re: At a loss

Can we see an updated makeup picture? 

RE: At a loss

Invest in an AHA, it will shed dead skin and give you even texture while still hydrating. Also have you thought about dermaplaning? Look into it may help the way your makeup sits on your skin.

Instead of setting ur whole face with setting powder take a small brush and dust powder over areas u don’t want shiny or u know will get shiny throughout the day. Good luck! Hope that helped 😌

Try it consealer and Laura Mercier setting powder, with olé Henriksen eye cream before, they all have been a game changers for me.

My skin is the EXACT same way! I can never use baking/setting/foundation powders after i apply my foundation. Laura mercier hydrating primers are AMAZING. I use first aid beauty coconut water tinted primer, LMercier hydrating primer, Fenty hydrating foundation, too faced born this way concealer, and Anastasia dewy set finishing spray. I always thought the above would be too much but it’s the only way my skin feels “normal” with makeup on. I also use drunk elephant products before bed and when i wake up! I hope you find the best thing for you!

Answer is Skincare. No matter how much makeup you use, if you’re skin is textured, it will show regardless of primers/foundations that “swear” it won’t be the case. Should you spend on anything, spend money on skincare with great and beneficial ingredients (no irritants like fragrances or over priced name brands). I recommend watching JamesWelsh or Hyram videos on best skincare. I used to have so much whiteheads and acne scars that would be emphasized with makeup, especially using powder to “set it” in place. I believe if you change your skincare to cater to your needs then the foundation you have bought, and didn’t like at first, will look nice and how you pictured it. Also recommend dermaplaning, it serves as a physical exfoliation and also using A chemical exfoliate once/twice a week. In addition, check your skincare ingredients: use a non stripping cleanser, hydrating essences and serums, moisturizer, SPF etc...

RE: Re: At a loss

GOOD SERUM IS A MUST

RE: Re: At a loss

I second that!!!! Skincare is KEYYY!! If your skincare game is on point even a drugstore foundation will do wonders. I spend a good amount of my time on my skincare and skin prep prior to applying any makeup. I would say roughly 30 mins on skin prep before I move in with makeup. This way you’ll also get a true feel for the makeup you are using and if it works. Another tip, use setting spray in between makeup application as well. For instance once you do your skin prep, wait for 15-20 mins for it to set in, then prime and spray your face with makeup setting spray before you go in with makeup. Put your foundation on and spray mist again before blending, put on concelor then spray mist again and blend. Add setting powder to areas where you need it, spray again with mist. And obviously do a finish setting spray mist at the end. This has help with my creasing around laugh lines!
Anonymous Insider

I agree with the above and you could look at the Dermaflash- which is a self-use dermaplaning tool. I've used it since Feburary and love it. Just make sure to say on top of moisturizing and a serum treatment routine helps- especially if you are dry skinned.  DERMAFLASH - LUXE Anti-Aging Dermaplaning Exfoliation Device

I have the exact same issue, stop baking. Baking makes me look so cakey and textured. My routine to this issue is embryolisse cream to hydrate, then milk sunshine skin tint for foundation (super creamy and oil enriched without looking greasy), maybelline age rewind concealer, then they key: I only lightly set my under eyes and a super super light dusting all over with hourglass ambient lighting powder. Don’t leave it on to bake, not even your under eyes. Then I use any kind of setting spray that’s for dewy other luminous finish. No matte setting sprays like urban decay all-nighter etc. Good luck!

Don't know how I found this post, but I just want to say that you're beautiful!  Also, I always had problems with the texture of my skin too, and no matter what products I used, they'd look like garbage.  If every product is giving you trouble, get your skin together first!  ❤️  Your skin is gorgeously clear, no help needed there!  But maybe some AHAs would help with texture, or maybe you need more moisture.  Or maybe some of your other products are reacting poorly with your skin.  Go back to baseline and find out how to get your best skin...and then most products will work, I bet!  🙂

@Daylegm Okay, judging by the color of your ears and the blue tinge in the skin on your neck I would wager a guess that you have cool toned skin when you’re wearing a warm toned foundation

that appears to be a shade off.  There’s a lot of yellow in your foundation where I believe you would benefit from one that leans more pink.  This will make a huuuuge difference in how your makeup looks without any new techniques.  
I would start by moisturizing you skin with a simple hyaluronic acid prior to your makeup application to plump up your skin and minimize fine lines.   When you have texture less is more.  Apply the smallest amount of foundation you possibly can evenly all over wait one minute for that layer to set and then apply a little more over just the areas that need a little more correcting.  If you do want to use a setting powder, dampen your beauty blender dip it in some powder and use it to apply while avoiding the undereye area until last and without adding more powder.   Press and bounce until it doesn’t look powdery.  The moisture in the sponge will help the powder meld right into your skin and look natural.  

Adding a drop of oil to foundation prior to application will give you a more dewy and natural finish.  Oil tends to make setting powder cling so you want to use it sparingly or not at all if you choose to go the oil route.  You don’t need to set everywhere with powder either - just areas you tend to be oilier.  If you don’t have oily areas a setting spray may be more your thing.  
i hope this helps💛💛💛

Thank you SO much! I truly appreciate your advice and will try your suggestions!!

@Daylegm It could be a series of things. It could be the primer, foundation or powder you are using that isn’t suited for your dry skin type. Also, when using the beauty blender you have to make sure it’s blended all the way and that you don’t use too much of the cc cream which can be thick.  If you have a beauty oil I would try to mix a little into the cc cream so it doesn’t dry out the skin.  Also, what may help is to spray the face with a hydrating spray if you have one before you put the cc cream on. You can also skip the baking or dust it off right away. Maybe not use too much concealer and try your fingers to pay it on.  Makeup application can be tricky with dry skin. I know because I suffer from dry/combo skin and it took me a while to get it just right. 

Thank you so much for your suggestions I appreciate it!

I would skip the baking step, especially if you are baking under your eyes. Baking is great for if you are under studio lights or are on camera or photos, but in person it tends to make makeup look cakey. If you bake under your eyes it actually accentuates the fine lines under your eyes more instead of blurring them out like you would expect, this is because the skin under our eyes has no oil glands, so when you bake under there all it does is dry out the skin there even more. Also, you said you use concealer and if you are using that under your eyes I would only put it where you have dark circles and don't put the concealer directly below the eye where you naturally have creases, a lot of times if you bring it all the way up under your eye the concealer tends to settle into the creases and makes them more noticeable and use it sparingly. I haven't heard great things about the IT CC cream so I would maybe switch to a different CC cream or even a BB cream. If you have a lot of texture I would say your skin is probably on the drier side and could benefit from CeraVe like someone else in the comments suggested, my go to when my skin is severely dry or damaged is CerVe moisturizing cream it is in a large white and blue jar. Also when using concealer, because of the texture on your skin, only use the concealer where you absolutely need it, such as where you might have blemishes to diminish the cakey look. If you use too much concealer it has a tendency to make you look cakey. Not sure which setting spray or concealer you are using, but I would maybe try a hydrating setting spray like the Too Faced Hangover Setting Spray. I would also suggest checking out a couple of you tubers one is James Welsh, who does skincare videos and definitely knows his stuff. The other is Robert Welsh, who is James twin brother and he is a professional makeup artist. Robert has a lot of knowledge for everyday practical makeup application and might be helpful to you.

Good luck. 

Thank you SO MUCH for your suggestions! I really appreciate it!

Also you are beautiful by the way!

I’d try skipping the powder all together and just going with a setting spray when you really need to set it for long term wear. I’d also use a great moisturizer (try Cerva Ve moisturizer in a tub if you have dry/normal skin) and let it sink into your skin for 5-10 minutes before applying makeup. I’ve experienced the same issue with the It Cosmetics CC cream by the way. It’s glowy but can still look cakey. The glowy version of the Dior Forever foundation is my go-to now.

Re: RE: At a loss

Thank you so much!!! I appreciate it!

1 Reply
Conversation Stats
  • 24 replies
  • 32 Hearts Given
  • 16 Contributors
Photos1
  • 6E4D1587-A3F6-4192-89B0-82A590711373.jpeg
testing