Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Customer Support
|

Returns from a long time ago

I don’t wear foundation a lot, and I tend to rotate in and out of a foundation and tinted moisturizer. A year ago I bought my ride or die foundation, Giorgio Armani and I’ve been avoiding using it because I’m noticing it looking very yellow on my skin. Could the product have changed since it’s a year old? Could I return/ exchange it? I’ve used very little (maybe 10%)

RE: Returns from a long time ago

@chickmore, hi. Yes, absolutely the color of the foundation could’ve turned. In which case you really can’t return it—you opened it, used/tried it, but then let it sit and spoil away for a good long time. A lot of times just plain life gets in the way and things aren’t returned promptly. It happens. And probably to many of us. But please know that if you were to walk into a Sephora store—and Sephora gives us a great length of time for returns, they’re just the best with that—all they would have to do is scan the bar code and not only would they know it was your order/in-store purchase, they’d know you bought it a year ago. There’s just no reason for them to accept it as a return. I don’tknow of any type of business anywhere that accepts returns a year later. I guess you’d have to try to avoid the truth. Or maybe things are different where you live...? But the color has changed, you say it nolonger looks right on you, so I would say to t, min light of the PAO info I’ll give below and, well, the color was wrong for you to begin with. Now it’s worse. Heh. Either way, it’s 50/50 no longer good. Check that PAO! 🤪As for blending it with another medium to try to get the color just right, that’s your personal, and wallet’s, preference. I wouldn’t mix old product with new, but that’s just me. I would go buy the correct color for myself. If it doesn’t smell odd, you might like to try that with other things you already own. Ok, so, could a color change happen if you *hadn’t* opened the foundation? Sure. That depends on theproduct’s shelf life and how it was stored. So, with you for a year, and a retailer, depending on product turnover, would be the length of time toward its shelf life. It could be perfectly fresh, gorgeously brand new, as the vast majority of things are, or asin three cases for me—a cream to powder Lancôme compact, color turned; a spoiled, rancid-smelling Lancôme lipstick; and a bottle of Chanel CocoMademoiselle that had turned color—it could be kinda ancient. Higher-end retailers used to open the products we were buying and show them to us,demonstrating their perfect condition while at the same time glancing attheir condition themselves. These days many retailers don’t bother; it’s a reflection of the downturn in society along with knowing that if there’s a problem, consumers tend not to return certain items,and they in turn get rid of old, bad stock, and at the same time, gain a profiton top of it. Anyway, you did open it, and then didn’t go back toit for a year. It might be ok, but for a face product where you need the original color, whether or not it was right for you, this goes in the trash. Please know it’s easy to smell spoiled products being worn byothers—lip products and fragrances reek most strongly, foundations smellbad...in short, they, well, they stink. Similarly, just as you looked at a product and saw it had spoiled/realized it was no longer good, so could anyone else, experienced or not, see it too. Now. MOST skin care, as well as certain types of face makeup—liquid products inparticular—have somewhere on the packaging (that which is not thrownout) a little open makeup compact or loose powder container, lid off and tilted, containing a number inside called a PAO: Period After Opening. Increments are 3, 6, 9, 12, 18, and 24 *months*—*that’s* how long your *opened* product is intended to be good for. (No, numbers 15 and 21 don’t exist.) Even if your item hasn’t reached its trash-it point, itmay not have been stored properly,—i.e., not closed tightly, too high or too low temps, or any number of things. Point: It’s no good anymore. It needs to go. Fragrances do not carry PAO symbols. Opened: one year+ Never opened: two years with a possible + . Generally, for some reason, unopened bottles may change color at around that time. In my own experience, and I have so far given you all industry standards, opened bottles can change color or turn at just one year, unopened bottles can change color and/or spoil at two. Yes, expensive perfumes included. I-hope I helped you, as well as anyone else who reads this. E that PAO info, because most people don’t know it. ~a beauty editor Ugh, t getting wacky here with spelling and editing. But I think you’ll understand, and also I hope whatever info you didn’t already know will be helpful in some way, shape or form. (WoW, everything’s gone crazy here, what the what???)

RE: Returns from a long time ago

@chickmore Sephora has a 60 day return policy. Since it’s a year old, it may be expired. You should probably het shade matched and purchase another one. If not, you can always mix it with another foundation to match you as well.
Conversation Stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 Hearts Given
  • 3 Contributors
testing