cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Complexion Club
|

Primer Help!

Hi everyone,

I've been struggling the last few months finding a decent primer for my changing (with age and the weather) skin. I have very oily, but dehydrated skin, so it starts dry but by the end of the day is covered in oil. I really like my MUF HD foundation, but can't find the perfect primer to make it stay on my face, without looking awful. I've tried BECCA mattifying and Urban Decay DeSlick but these are too mattifying in the morning and give me flakes and piles of makeup on my face ( I'm not adding too much). I've also tried a few others, that are not mattifying, from BECCA and none are making it stay better without lumping or getting into my pores. I also use Mercier powder to set. Any primer suggestions? Or do I just need to get over it and get a new foundation?

Re: Primer Help!

@nastywoman, I use Chanel's Le Blanc de Chanel Multi-Use Immuniating Base.  It is one of my few non-Sephora products.  It's the best for me now that I've gotten older and it cancels out my skin's natural redness/ruddiness.

I'm over 60 and every primer settles into the creases and creates a deeper looking set of lines everywhere. And it dries into a cakey crust in about 2 hours... Can you say more in this regard about the primer you suggested? Do you think it will address these problems? Thx.

Have you tried a clear primer, like smashbox photo finish @CDWS?  I don't have deep wrinkles, but certainly some crows feet, laugh lines, forehead grooves, and this works fine for me.  It's completely clear, so there's nothing to see.  It def helps keep my makeup from sliding around too.

@nastywoman, have you tried this one already as well?

Anonymous Insider

hi so i have the porefessional from bennifet and it is great and i love it and it is not oily or drying great for combo and great price for the quality so i highly suggest it

Unfortunately, make up can require a lot of experimentation before finding the right recipe that works for your skin. There are a couple things you could try:

1. Try using the foundation without primer and using a setting spray instead. A spray with little to no alcohol in the formula may help with the dryness you're experiencing, while also controlling your face oils.

A couple options would be: Smashbox Photo Finish Primer Water (https://www.sephora.com/product/smashbox-photo-finish-primer-water-P392347?icid2=:p392347:product) or Caudalie Beauty Elixir (https://www.sephora.com/product/beauty-elixir-P6025?icid2=:p6025:product) or Cover FX Mattifying Setting Spray (https://www.sephora.com/product/mattifying-setting-spray-P419401?icid2=:p419401:product)

2. Another thing to may be to skip the setting powder or concentrate it ONLY on the oiliest parts of your face. Alternatively you could keep blotting papers with you and skip using mattifying products.

3. Lastly, if nothing works, you may want to consider finding a new foundation that works better with your skin.

All the best!

5 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 Hearts Given
  • 6 Contributors
testing