Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Complexion Club
|

Hyperpigmentation

Any suggestions on how to get rid of hyperpigmentation on my forehead? 

Re: Hyperpigmentation

@Bric229 It may depend on what's causing your hyperpigmentation. But here are a few ingredients to consider:  

Retinoid - If you consult a dermatologist, they'll probably recommend prescription tretinoin (brand name Retin-A) first. But there are other retinoids to consider, including several over-the-counter options like retinol, retinaldehyde, granactive retinoid (HPR), and even adapalene (Differin and La Roche-Posay make OTC options). Which one you choose depends on your particular skin type, behavior, and sensitivities. 

Spoiler
One that's worked well for my mostly-dry combo skin is The INKEY List Retinol Fine Lines and Wrinkles Serum 1 oz/ 30 mL which is a blend of HPR and retinol. Some folks love The Ordinary's retinol products. My derm recommended Avene's RetinAL retinaldehyde products, so I'll try one of those once I'm out of my current retinol serum. Paula's Choice also makes a few retinol products. Even CeraVe makes one that might be especially good for dry skin. 

Niacinamide - This antioxidant does many great things for skin, including brightening and skin tone balancing. It's in lots of skincare products, so check the ingredients lists of things you already use. You can always add a niacinamide serum or booster if needed. 

Spoiler
My biggest daily dose of niacinamide comes from my morning hydrating toner, e.l.f. Hydrating Water Essence. Many folks like The Ordinary Niacinamide 10% + Zinc 1% Oil Control Serum 1 oz/ 30 mL or The INKEY List Niacinamide Oil Control Serum 1 oz/ 30 mL . 

Vitamin C - Most people's favorite skin brightener, though honestly, niacinamide's done more for my skin in that department. L-ascorbic acid is famously sensitive to light and air, which is why more stable derivatives exist. 

Spoiler
My current vitamin C serum is Farmacy Very Cherry Bright 15% Clean Vitamin C Serum with Acerola Cherry 1.0 oz/ 30 mL which works quite well for me. But you can find other serums for less money that might work better for you, like Maelove Glow Maker which contains l-ascorbic acid. I tested it and had to stop because one of its ingredients, orange peel, caused a bad reaction in my skin. If your skin's find with citrus extracts, this one may be worth trying. You could also go the much more expensive SkinCeuticals CE Ferulic route. 

Kojic acid - If you can find a stable form of it, this is a good skin brightener. The problem is stability: it's very sensitive to light and air, similar to l-ascorbic acid. This would be another one to ask your derm about. 

Hydroquinone - The gold standard for lifting dark spots, available OTC or in higher percentages by prescription if needed. 

Spoiler
There's a lot of buzz about this ingredient being unsafe or causing new skin issues after longterm use, and not all derms agree on this topic. Also, it reportedly irritates some folks' skin—but so can vitamin C and retinoids, so... I recommend consulting your own derm about it. My derm says it's safe when used as directed. 

Tranexamic acid - This is sometimes touted as an alternative to hydroquinone to treat melasma (a form of hyperpigmentation). It needs more study to prove efficacy on other types of hyperpigmentation. But if you want to try it, there are plenty of products that feature or include it, like The INKEY List Tranexamic Acid Hyperpigmentation Treatment 1 oz/ 30 mL . 

Arbutin - Another alternative to hydroquinone that's usually well-tolerated (non-irritating). I haven't tried many arbutin products yet. I have The INKEY List Alpha Arbutin Brightening Serum 1 oz/ 30 mL but still need to give it a fair test. The Ordinary Alpha Arbutin 2% + HA Hyperpigmentation Serum 1 oz/ 30 mL might be worth considering. And you might find arbutin listed among the ingredients of some products you already own. 

Licorice root - I primarily think of this as a skin soother, so I usually forget it can also brighten skin. It's in many products, but you can also find serums or boosters that feature it. I like It's Skin Power 10 LI Effector, but I'm sure there are other good options out there. 

Sunscreen - No matter what else you use on your face, you should also use a sunscreen with minimum SPF of 30 every day. There's no point in trying to reverse hyperpigmentation if you're not also going to block the sun from creating even more hyperpigmentation. If you already use sunscreen daily, great! If not: I mostly use Supergoop! Unseen Sunscreen Invisible Broad Spectrum SPF 40 PA +++ 1.7 oz/ 50 mL or Dr. Dennis Gross Skincare Sheer Mineral Sun Spray SPF 50 4 oz . Wear the hecking sunscreen! 

Anonymous Insider

Re: Hyperpigmentation

check out products from the ordinary such as the The Ordinary Glycolic Acid 7% Exfoliating Toner 8 oz/ 240 mL, the The Ordinary AHA 30% + BHA 2% Exfoliating Peeling Solution 1 oz/ 30 mL, and the The Ordinary Niacinamide 10% + Zinc 1% Oil Control Serum 1 oz/ 30 mL. also, if you have a dermatologist they can do stuff like microneedling and laser resurfacing if products dont help

Conversation Stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 Hearts Given
  • 4 Contributors
testing