cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Complexion Club
|

How Do You Prime and Set?

How to stay flawless.jpg

What’s the point of working so hard on a full face of makeup if it doesn't last? I know that many of you have nailed a routine that's perfect for you so I want to hear your winning combinations!

What are your tips for a flawless finish? Have any favorite primers, setting sprays or finishing powders? What tools are you using? We don't like to keep beauty secrets so share them here!

This is also a space to get advice so if you’re looking for a new complexion routine comment below!

Re: How Do You Prime and Set?

My absolute favorite primer I've ever tried and now buy obsessively is MDSolarSciences MD Creme Mineral Beauty Balm. It doesn't label itself as a primer, but it has SPF 50, it's completely mattifying ALL day, and it feels great on my oily and dry parts (I have combination skin). I wear this every single day whether I wear makeup or not, it never breaks me out, and by itself it makes my skin tone much more even. It's a little expensive but a little goes a long way. It really helps cover my decollete and blend it with my face makeup too.

RE: How Do You Prime and Set?

I prime using becca's first light primer (the purple one) after I've let my skincare set on my face for about 5 min. I let the primer sink into my skin (maybe give it a minute or two) and then put on foundation, color corrector and concealer. I've been using Too Faced Born This Wayfoundation, UD naked color corrector in peach for my under eyes and somedark spots on my face, and either Tarte's Shape Tape concealer or MUFE's undereye and full cover concealer. I'll then spray GlamGlow's setting spray. I recently switched from UD's all nighter and chill sprays and I like it so much better. I then fan my face and if I want to bake, I'll use Laura mercier's translucent setting powder and if I'm not baking, I'll set my concealer using Kat Von D's shade and light powder contouring palette, using the second light banana shade. I'll then proceed with contour, bronzer, blush, and highlight and set my face again using the same setting spray.

My holy grail primer is the becca first light filter. It keeps my makeup stuck on my face all day because it is on the more tacky side. Another thing I do to keep my face on is I make sure to fan my face dry when I spray setting spray. It just keeps everything on so much better. 

I have combo oily skin so for primer I use the Benefit Porefessional on my whole face, then after the rest of my face makeup I set first with a loose powder from Estée Lauder and then finish it al off with Urban Decay All Nighter setting spray

My current and holy grail primer for several years has been the Sunday Riley Effortless Breathable Tinted Primer... and it has been discontinued which still makes me want to cry 😞  I would be extremely grateful for any recommendations for a replacement because it has actually been very difficult to match how this primer performs with my BB cream... which is why I want to cry lol 😄 

I actually use Herbivore's Rose Hibiscus Coconut Water Hydrating Face Mist to set my makeup and I love it so much... no hairspray feeling tackiness, not shiny or luminous, just hydrated and fresh looking. I sprayed only half of my face for my mom one day and found that it actually helped reduce shine while still looking dewy and fresh. I'm on my 4th bottle and I have all the other great sprays sitting on my vanity just being displayed at this point because I keep repurchasing the Herbivore 🙂

I switched up my whole complexion routine recently, because I found that my face was getting too dry during the day.  I kept an Evian facial spray at my desk at work, but I was having to use it way too frequently.  

Then I realized that on the days when I wore my Josie Maran Protect & Perfect Tinted Moisturizer, my face would stay moisturized.  So my standard daily routine is to use the Protect & Perfect with no primer underneath, and then use the Josie Maran Nirvana Hydrating Mist as a setting spray.  

I think the holy grails of primers/setting powders/setting sprays are Hourglass Mineral Veil primer, Laura Mercier translucent powder, and Urban Decay setting spray.  I think Hourglass's primer and Laura's Mercier's setting powders are both amazing, but I never liked Urban Decay's setting sprays.  I have tried them a bunch of times in-store and never like how they feel on my skin.

@IciclePop you're tempting me to try Josie Maran's setting spray... I've always wanted to snag it because of the beautiful packaging! 

@KatieBT I actually only use it because it was part of a Josie Maran set that I bought on sale, it's really not the best setting spray out there.  My favorite setting spray is the Tarte Rainforest of the Sea 4-in-1 setting mist.  

The best tip I have learned is to use a velour puff to press in your setting spray after you apply it! It has made such a difference in the longevity of my makeup. 

I agree!! Life changing!

@darlyndar I've never heard this trick before but am so intrigued now! Thanks for sharing 🙂

Anonymous Insider

Put setting spray on BEFORE applying foundation or concealer. Just trust me.

I learned this recently after my setting sprays had been sitting on the backburner for months -- I just thought they didn't work well. 

I also do a light mist over the foundation but find that a good spritz beforehand is really what keeps my makeup on all day long. 

@Anonymous YES! I'm all about the setting spray sandwich 🙂 

Anonymous Insider

I need somebody to help me for takes a makeup essentials thank u ❤️ 

Make a appointment for a makeover at Sephora. you will ne...

Make a appointment for a makeover at Sephora. you will need to but $50 worth of products but that is easy to do, free if you are a Rouge. You can let them pick the products to use or tell them what you want to try and they can come up with a look for you.

I have dry skin with some dry patches so a primer, setting powder, and setting spray need to be something that doesn't dry me out.

Current favorite primer/s:

YSL - Touche Eclat Blur Primer (only used a couple times but so worth the splurge)

Too Faced - Hangover Replenishing Face Primer

Favorite Setting Powders:

COVER FX - Perfect Setting Powder (I used to like the RCMA but that one gave me a little bit of a white cast. This one is perfect because it doesn't dry me out and the white cast it very minimal to nothing.)

Favorite Setting Sprays:

Urban Decay - All Nighter Long-Lasting Setting Spray (I have yet to try a holy grail setting spray. Sometimes the Urban Decay will give up on me after a couple hours.)

I feel like primers, setting sprays, and powders are essential to a long lasting make up. Especially if you like to use lots of powders, using a setting spray to melt everything together is one of the most satisfying things ever.

@kaybeebaltz I have been told I need to try the Too Faced primer. Does it help with redness? 

That comment about setting spray melting it all together... So true!!! #SprayAllDay

If doing a full face I'll use Smashbox photo finish primer then Smashbox BB cream then foundation and concealer and tinted Laura Mercier setting powder. Applying the setting powder with a wet Beauty Blender has been a welcome discovery. I had been using that technique to set under eye concealer then decided to try it out on my whole face. Makes a world of difference.

I use Hourglass Veil mineral primer which has been a staple in my routine since I discovered this product helps with controlling oil without the sticky mattifying finish of other primers marketed towards controlling oil. The added SPF 15 is a bonus. 

I use Cinema Secrets' loose powder to set undereye concealer, and a lightly tinted pressed powder all over to set everything else. I use a firm pressing motion and apply with a large flat powder brush, this helps to minimize the makeup I've already applied.

What I find to make the biggest difference is good skin = makeup that lasts. Take care of your dryness, oiliness, flakiness... and the makeup just stays without too much help! My makeup lasts all day without issues, it even lasts through bootcamp class in the evening even if I've had everything on for 12 hours already.

RE: Re: How Do You Prime and Set?

I love hourglass primer!
1 Reply
Conversation Stats
Photos10
  • How to stay flawless.jpg
  • s1495209-main-grid.jpg
  • s1900117-main-grid.jpg
  • s1783224-main-grid.jpg
  • s1061191-main-grid.jpg
  • s1478239-main-grid.jpg
  • shopping.jpeg