cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Complexion Club
|

How Do You Prime and Set?

How to stay flawless.jpg

What’s the point of working so hard on a full face of makeup if it doesn't last? I know that many of you have nailed a routine that's perfect for you so I want to hear your winning combinations!

What are your tips for a flawless finish? Have any favorite primers, setting sprays or finishing powders? What tools are you using? We don't like to keep beauty secrets so share them here!

This is also a space to get advice so if you’re looking for a new complexion routine comment below!

RE: How Do You Prime and Set?

My skin type is normal so I like to use Benefit's PoreFessional in my TZone to minimize pores and then the Hourglass Veil Primer on the cheeks. I love to set with GlamGlow's new setting spray! My makeup doesn't budge at all.

Re: RE: How Do You Prime and Set?

@carolineluvbug you sound like me which i can never find but a few that like certain products i use rather than what the majority uses!  I love LOVE GlamGlows new spray! And HG Veil was my fav primer til i ran out and didn't have time for a new bottle,HOWEVER the NYX Angel Veil is amazingly the same! Tried it as i noticed my fav YT guru that uses mainly all Tarte and KVD products,used it and now in her every tut she uses the NYX one and it's so i got it since its DS and that was the easiest/fastest place to grab and I'm SO loving it 😍Just wanted to throw that to ya bc i noticed you use the same products i use often 🙌 

Re: RE: How Do You Prime and Set?

@carolineluvbug both of those primers are great! I've been curious about GG's setting spray, how does it compare to others you've tried? 

Re: How Do You Prime and Set?

I have dry dehydrated skin, but I also wear makeup for a very long time and doesn't like to touch it up at all. 

what I found worked for me is 

1. hydrated skin - first treatment essence, light weight serum, and fast absorbing but moderately heavy moisturizer 
  2. moisturizing primer - I haven't found one in Sephora that I liked enough to go back to; I've been using RMK (Japanese brand) makeup base for a while now
  3. long lasting foundation mixed in with a moisturizing foundation - I use a combination of Estee lauder double wear and Bobbi Brown's skin foundation because its the only one that I have found to become oily throughout the day. 
  4. I lightly set it with powder on the T zone and use Makeup forever's setting spray (I use Hera's interchangeably) - I find Urban decay's to be too drying; it doesn't keep my makeup as long especially during winter because my skin starts absorbing the foundation when it gets too dry. 

Benefit's Porefessional is my absolute favorite primer of all time. I often combine it with the Stila color correcting primer or if my skin is really dry I mix in my Clinique dramatically different moisturizing lotion. This makes my makeup stay all day and the lotion really helps my dry patches. For a finishing power I prefer the Coty airspun loose translucent powder as a budget friendly option. Hope you guys find this helpful!

I go between the smash box foundation primer and the elf poreless foundation primer. They both work great and give me a perfect natural looking foundation. For setting spray I love the Kat von d all night setting spray or the elf setting spray
Anonymous Insider

Setting Powder never goes my way, I have yet to find one that works for me. So I just use UD all nighter. It definitely keeps the oil away for me.

I have very dry skin on my cheeks and an oily forehead.. and I use Korean products from The FaceShop- specifically the Chia seed hydrating toner and the chia seed Moisturizer. That's it for priming I'm not sure if I'm doing that part right so if you want tell me what the best primer is to use 💝. Oh and I set with the NYX matte setting spray.

I swear by Becca's primers for my dry and sensitive skin. They keep my skin looking dewy and hydrated throughout the day without looking super oily. I set with Urban Decay's Chill makeup setting spray at the end of my routine and set my concealer with Laura Mercier's translucent powder. 

Anonymous Insider

i have large pores and super oily skin. my winning combo...

i have large pores and super oily skin. my winning combo is the smashbox photo finish foundation color correctiing primer paired with Maybelline fit me matte and poreless foundation. I bronze and set with Fiona styles invisible finish loose setting powder in miramar. I like to use the pixie glow mist as a setting spray but recently the sprayer on mine got clogged so I haven't been using any setting spray for the last couple days and haven't seen much difference so I think i might not need it at least with this product combo

I have good luck with hourglass veil mineral primer but only if my skin isn't dry. I finish with Urban Decay All Nighter!

RE: Re: How Do You Prime and Set?

I do the exact same thing! Love hourglass and urban decay's setting spray!

I have found that if I use moisturizer then a hydrating mist my makeup emphasized my skin and looks healthy. To make sure it stays that way I use benefit porefessional. a little MAC prep and prime and then spray my face with urban decays up all night setting spray. I use the setting spray before my makeup and after which makes sure it doesn't move.

i use kat von d hydrating primer with smashbox foundation...

i use kat von d hydrating primer with smashbox foundation and Laura mercier setting powder finished with kvd setting spray 😄

Lilah Aglow Face Mist - I cant put this stuff down and love the illuminating effect it gives my skin under my makeup.

Smashbox Primer Water - This was too gimmicky for me to try when it first came out.  Well, I feel like a dum dum.  This primer keeps my makeup lasting longer and makes my skin look healthier even with all the makeup I wear.  Better late then never I suppose.

For me, there's more than enough skincare and priming products underneath my makeup. So...I actually don't use any setting powders or sprays after I apply all m makeup. 

My primer is Bobbi Brown face base, but before I use any...

My primer is Bobbi Brown face base, but before I use any kind of liquid or cream products I use translucent powder all over my face with just primer. I saw this trick from a Wayne Goss video and I swear by it. it seems excessive, but I can get away without having to blot. my setting spray is UD deslick.

I have absurdly oily skin so I would find myself constantly patting my face when I would do my make-up. For me, it was extremely annoying, embarrassing when out in public, and inconvenient. After a visit to the Sephora in Barton Creek Mall, I was introduced to Laura Mercier's new setting powder in a deeper tone (medium deep) and Boscia White Charcoal Mattifying Makeup Setting Spray. These two are a super duo for me! My first day using them together I didn't pat my face once! They also reduced/controlled the oily sheen I'm used to having. I purposely went to the gym after with my make-up on to see what would happen and my make-up didn't shift! I couldn't be happier! P.S. You can use the setting spray before and after make-up application.

Guerlain L'or primer Laura mercier loose powder in translucent Hoola 30 spf makeup setting spray which I keep in my purse for touchups throughout the day. & thats literally I need to keep my face shine free all day.

I use the smashbox primerizer on the majority of my face,...

I use the smashbox primerizer on the majority of my face, excluding my nose. on my nose I use NARS eyeshadow primer because nothing else helps it stay on all day without leaving a silicone feeling behind which I hate. I also use either the smashbox water primer or the urban decay all nighter spray to set with at the end of my makeup.😀🤗😗
Anonymous Insider

I'm a newbie at 35 but this is fun! I've fallen in love w...

I'm a newbie at 35 but this is fun! I've fallen in love with Color FX Mattifying Primer and then Laura Mercier Translucent powder in Med-Deep. Sometimes I'll stop here because LM powder is some kind of magic pixie dust and works wonders all on its own!

I've been loving Touch in Sol's 'No Poreblem' primer. It gives me a smooth complexion and the formula is so user friendly.

I don't really use powder but when I do, I lightly dust YSL's 'Lumiere Divine Highlighting Finishing Powder Palette' all over. Some people use it as a very subtle highlighter, but I like it as a luminous all over powder because it's so finely milled. 

Conversation Stats
Photos10
  • How to stay flawless.jpg
  • s1495209-main-grid.jpg
  • s1900117-main-grid.jpg
  • s1783224-main-grid.jpg
  • s1061191-main-grid.jpg
  • s1478239-main-grid.jpg
  • shopping.jpeg
testing