cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Complexion Club
|

How Do You Prime and Set?

How to stay flawless.jpg

What’s the point of working so hard on a full face of makeup if it doesn't last? I know that many of you have nailed a routine that's perfect for you so I want to hear your winning combinations!

What are your tips for a flawless finish? Have any favorite primers, setting sprays or finishing powders? What tools are you using? We don't like to keep beauty secrets so share them here!

This is also a space to get advice so if you’re looking for a new complexion routine comment below!

RE: How Do You Prime and Set?

My priming starts when I wash my face. Because I have dry skin I then use a serum before finally moisturizing. I also use regular chapstick and give my skin at least 30 minutes to soak that all in. If I dont my makeup looks a mess. Then I use porefessionals in my tzone and photofinish on my cheeks chin and forehead. The chapstick before i start my makeup leaves my lips nice and hydrated so my matte lipstick lasts longer without drying my lips. To set I use mac fix plus
Anonymous Insider

Re: How Do You Prime and Set?

I use the benefit porefessional primer on areas with obvious pores and the smashbox photo finish primer in light on the rest of my face but I just ran out of the porefessional primer. That combo didn't really seem to work for me anyways, considering the amount of dry patches that were visible. Does anyone have any recommendations for a good primer for people with dry, flaky skin patches to invest in? I'm still using my smashbox photo finish primer for now, but it doesn't seem to be helping in terms of my dryness.

I found that Philosophy Hope in a Jar Tint worked really well for the dry patches I have on my chin.  I use Clarin's Beauty Flash Balm as a primer with MUFE mist and fix setting spray.  I'm not convinced that I love MUFE, but my makeup lasted all day in 110 heat including time in the pool.

The mufe step1 moisturizing primer is really good for drier skin!  @Anonymous

I have dry/normal skin so I don't do the whole major baking thing some people might lol. I gravitate towards a natural glow type of finish so this is my winning combo:

Hourglass N. 28 Primer Serum

http://www.sephora.com/n-28-primer-serum-P309504?skuId=1412592

Hourglass Ambient Lighting Palette

Incandescent Light to set the under eye are and Dim Light for the rest of the face

http://www.sephora.com/ambient-lighting-palette-P382309?skuId=1606086&icid2=hourglass_bestsellers_ca...

MAC Fix + Prep and Prime

Urban Decay All Nighter Setting Spray

http://www.sephora.com/all-nighter-long-lasting-makeup-setting-spray-P263504?skuId=1900000&icid2=pro...

Primer, I stick with POREfessional generally. I use setting powder, either Too Faced Primed and Poreless or IT Cosmetics Bye Bye Pores Pressed. For setting spray, I haven't really used it save for the occasionally spritz of a NYX mattefying one, but I did pick up the new Too Faced Hangover Spray so we'll see how that goes! 

I use the Tarte Blur primer on my nose to fill in large pores.  On the rest of my face, I use a setting spray FIRST, before my foundation, then add concealer, foundation, setting powder, then setting spray as a final step to set.  I like the MUFE mist, or the Urban Decay All-Nighter. This routine seems to work best for me!

Great thread!!

Primers: Right now I've been alternating between Becca Ever matte and Nars Pore and Shine control.  The latter has really performed well during this summer's humidity just like it's predecessor.  It is also my perfect for the summer foundations of Nars Allday Luminous Foundation.  If my skin is feeling slightly dry a drop or two of the Smashbox Priming oil does wonders underneath the Nars Pore and shine control.  It really is a multi purpose oil.

Setting:  My tried and true is the Nars Loose Light Reflecting translucent powder.  New favourite is the Clinique Blended powder in translucent.  I like the soft velvet finish and is slightly more moisture binding than the Nars.  I don't usually set with sprays but I do mist mid-afternoon for a shot of hydration and freshen things up. Currently the Omorocvicza Hungary Mist is my go to.  

s1495209-main-grid.jpgs1900117-main-grid.jpgs1783224-main-grid.jpgs1061191-main-grid.jpgs1478239-main-grid.jpgshopping.jpeg

For the longest time I was firmly in the "skincare is my primer" camp, and I still mostly am. I use a lot of tacky serums and I find they grab onto my makeup pretty well, and I use a mineral sunscreen which contains silicones just before makeup so I always felt that was close enough to primer anyway. Lately I've been dipping a toe into the primer world more seriously. I like Hourglass Veil mineral primer (but only in my t-zone) when I really want my makeup to last, like on a hot summer day. I received a sample from an SA of a Givenchy illuminating primer (Acti'mine primer in Acti milk) which does give a slight creamy glow under my makeup and definitely makes it last longer. I've also been trying out Becca pearl (the liquid version) which I much prefer to the powder version for a glow under makeup. The glow is more obvious with this then the Givenchy and it doesn't hang on to makeup at all, just provides radiance. I wanted to try the First Light Primer from Becca but was worried it would irritate me, and the Backlight one seemed too dark on me, which was why I ended up trying Pearl. I am curious about illuminating primers others have tried.

For setting, I don't wear much powder anymore as my skin is dry. I like using Laura Mercier Invisible powder and Hourglass Ethereal Light Powder. When my skin was more oily (several years ago), I liked Laura Mercier Translucent. I would only use that now on a really hot or long day but not regularly. I never wear setting sprays as I haven't found one that works for my skin type.

I always try to prime and set. I have a tendency to switch up my primers based on how my skin feels that day. The primers I go between are Too Faced Hangover replenishing face primer, Becca's Backlight primer and Urban Decays Optical illusion complexion primer. For set sprays I always use Urban Decays All nighters setting spray 😊

I have tried so many different primers, setting sprays and powders that I even keep notes on what has worked and what hasn't on my quest to find the perfect products! 🙂

Here's what I'm currently using:

1.  Prep Spray: Urban Decay B6 Prep Spray

I use this prior to applying my Good Genes, Serums and Moisturizers in the morning and I swear it makes a huge difference - It is also super refreshing and helps me wake up.

http://www.sephora.com/b6-vitamin-infused-complexion-prep-spray-P381169?skuId=1899970&keyword=P38116...

2. Primer:   Too Faced Hangover RX AND NARS Pore and Shine Control Primer

I find that the Hangover RX is more like another moisturizer with some priming action, but it's not enough so I layer it under the NARS for a smooth canvas.  I just apply these with my hands because they seem to absorb into my beautyblender too much

http://www.sephora.com/hangover-replenishing-face-primer-P387589?skuId=1626043&icid2=products%20grid...

http://www.sephora.com/pore-shine-control-primer-P415963?skuId=1900117&icid2=products%20grid:p415963

3.  Eyeshadow Primer:  UD Eyeshadow Primer Potion Anti-Aging

I LOVE this stuff - It truly makes my eyeshadow stay put allllllll day long!  I apply it with a beautyblender micro mini.  I'm also super curious about the Eyeshadow Primer with the caffeine in it - I'll have to try it next!

http://www.sephora.com/eyeshadow-primer-potion-anti-aging-P381306?skuId=1704410&icid2=products%20gri...

4.  Setting Powder:  Benefit Porefessional Agent Zero Shine

This is such an amazing formula and I love that it doesn't make my skin look ghastly like many "translucent" powders do.  Sadly, I hate the packaging because I have to pour it into a separate dish to use a fluffy brush with it and I am not currently a fan of the company due to their latest spokespeople 😕

http://www.sephora.com/the-porefessional-agent-zero-shine-P384964?skuId=1578236&icid2=products%20gri...

5.  Setting Spray:   UD De-Slick

I live in a super humid, swampy area and this is hands down the only setting spray that lasts for more than an hour or two - It is not completely perfect, but it's way better than anything else I've tried so far

http://www.sephora.com/de-slick-oil-control-makeup-setting-spray-P277222?skuId=1899996&icid2=product...

@KatieBT Ohhh I love this!!!

So my favorite thing to try are face primers. I have sooo many of them (too many to be honest) Right know my go-to is MUFE Step 1 Skin Equalizer  Pink Radiant Primer. ANd I already bought the MJ Under(cover) Prerfecting Coconut Face Primer so I'm looking forward to try that one.

Setting powder - for setting concealer under my eyes I use MAC Magically Cool Liquid Powder.

Setting powder for face - Hourglass Ambient Lightning Powder in Dim Light - I have the Ambient Lighting Palette and I love it and would recommend it to everyone who wants to try different shades of these powders.

And because I live in FL setting spray is a must - I enjoy the UD  - the old one (I have bunch of deluxe sizes left) not sure if the new ones are different or just new packaging? And I'm also currently using Pixie Setting Spray - it works well but it smells like hairspray. 

RE: Re: How Do You Prime and Set?

I know what you mean about the primer situation. I have a whole tub just for primers.

The Laura Mercier translucent powder has been my favorite for ages. It's one of the few things I automatically repurchase! My daughter has one of my empties in her pretend makeup bag (along with some Nars blushes and shadows - she's a fancy baby.) 😊

I tend to use my skincare to prime, but I do really like the Becca Backlight primer if I want to be extra glowy. 

i find that primers work well with some foundations and not so well with others. and then there is the whole other complication of finding primers that work well with both your skin type AND your foundation. it was too much faff to get behind for years, i often would just tell people to make sure they had a decent a.m. skincare routine and then that would be their 'primer'. i still *kind of* stand by that (people should focus on good skincare before they choose a primer to 'take care of' their issues !). but over the past year i've found a combo of products that work brilliantly for me. 

NARS radiance primer....it was discontinued (i believe ?) right when they launched their new primers at the beginning of the year. i'll be repurchasing the 'radiance' one from the new range, hopefully they're similar. i find it works brilliantly with my GIVENCHY photo perfexion fluid foundation--it helps the givenchy bind to my skin while adding a bit of a glow. i then typically top everything off with either a light dusting of NARS light reflecting loose powder, or dab just a little bit of SHISEIDO 'the powdery makeup' compact if i want/need to curb shine.

BUT !!! my favorite relatively recent addition to my routine to 'prime' (in the truest sense) my skin is using the CLINIQUE moisture surge hydrating supercharged concentrate before applying my moisturizer. i LOVE a good hydrating serum, but i've found this one works particularly brilliantly under makeup. my main issues with foundation are how it interacts with dehydrated skin--slipping around, or, worse, sinking into pores. this serum has solved that problem. i'd be remiss not to mention it. 

Im stoked to see and read the comments bc honestly,iv found using no primer and setting powders,my make-up stays on better! Now i do LOVE HG Veil primer and Beccas Backlight.. and have tried ALOTTA HE primers bt i don't see much change..so when i grab and do use primer,i usually reach for DS Rimmels lasting finish 8hr,or Hard Candy's Hydra prime 3 in 1 with coconut oil and they work better than any HE iv used..but setting powders? I just cannot use bc i feel even with the tiniest amount used,i ALWAYS look cakey somewhere usually under the eyes,yes even with the infamous LM setting one..so im dying to see what others have to say! 🙌 (btw i have pretty normal skin,a bit oily when i leave make-up on overnight(yes i know bt i work 3rd shift in ER)..so that said my fav foundations are MUFEs HD foundation and HD stick,Bare Minerals  and Armanis Lumi,im more of a dewy girl than matte) So bring on the comments! 😂👇👇👇

I'm not sure where you live but it's been my observation that makeup lovers who don't get much use out of primers tend to live in places with low humidity. I'm in FL where it's very humid and I notice the difference when I don't prime or when I don't use setting products. MUFE HD foundation + setting powder is a must for me. I can get away with not using primer with MUFE though. Something like Charlotte Tilbury's Magic Foundation I find needs primer but doesn't work well with setting powders on me. I usually set that one with a spray. It's definitely a tricky thing making sure products work well with one another. I hear ya! 🙂

I liked my Smashbox Primer water so much so that I finished it right up- I primed and set my makeup with it. So far I use my KVD Shade and Light or Too Faced Cocoa Contour to help set my undereyes/forehead/around my mouth. I really need to try the Laura Mercier!

Oh this is a fun one! I have fairly normal skin aside from an oily T-zone, very occasionally prone to dryness, and here's my everyday routine:

1. Stila One-Step Correct for my face, Too Faced Shadow Insurance for my eyes, Diorshow Maximizer for my lashes
  2. Foundation
  3. Tarte Smooth Operator loose setting powder, just on my shiny areas, and an eyeshadow close to my skin tone to set my eye primer (usually MAC Bisque)
  4. The rest of my makeup
  5. Sometimes a light dusting of either an Hourglass Ambient Lighting Powder or Guerlain Meteorites for additional setting and glow
  6. I don't use lip primer very often these days, but if I do, it's Urban Decay's Ultimate Ozone pencil.
  7. Urban Decay All-Nighter setting spray

If I have an occasion where my makeup REALLY needs to stay put, I dust loose powder all over my whole face, rather than just shiny spots, and immediately do a light spritzing of setting spray before continuing to the rest of my makeup.

A random fun hack should you ever find yourself without setting spray: before I knew that was a thing that existed, I would sometimes blast my face with whatever hairspray I happened to have on hand and it worked really well too haha. Just make sure to REALLY keep your mouth and eyes closed!

My skin is dry and acne-prone, so I've dropped the heavy silicone primers (like Smashbox photo finish) completely.  I love using the Too Faced Hangover primer - it makes my skin feel nourished and refreshed.  

I've been using the Clinique Stay Matte pressed powder for YEARS.  Love this stuff.  It does what it's supposed to, doesn't settle into fine lines, and works well over all types of base products.  If I'm not wearing a base product, it also works fabulously over sunscreen, just to give a nice matte finish and provide a little pore blurring effect.

OMG @KatieBT the timing for this thread could not be more perfect! I need all the tips I can get.

I hardly prime since I am sensitive to alot of the primers out there. For everyday makeup I generall use the smashbox primer water for both prepping skin and setting and, if needed, add the UD all nighter spray in the end. 

1 Reply
Conversation Stats
Photos10
  • How to stay flawless.jpg
  • s1495209-main-grid.jpg
  • s1900117-main-grid.jpg
  • s1783224-main-grid.jpg
  • s1061191-main-grid.jpg
  • s1478239-main-grid.jpg
  • shopping.jpeg
testing