Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Complexion Club

Help me find a foundation!

I have really dry skin, so whenever I use foundation I always end up with a flakey, cakey look 😞 I've tried exfoliating and moisturizing, but as soon as I put on any foundation it looks as if I did neither. I have drugstore and luxury primer, but neither make a difference.

I've only tried matte liquid foundation using a wet/dry beauty blender or my hands. Should I use a different type of foundation? (ex. cream) Maybe stay away from matte or use a different tool? I've almost lost hope. I tried out the NARS Natural Radiant Longwear Foundation because I was told it would help, but I looked sooo cakey. What am I doing wrong?

Any tips and recommendations would be appreciated ❤️

Re: Help me find a foundation!

@addymonkey hello! I am also still trying to find that perfect foundation because of your exact same reasons. Proper skincare definitely makes a huge difference, and I’ve pretty much fixed the issues with that alone but also I’ve learned that matte foundations really aren’t the best especially if you are someone that wants to not look cakey. I was stuck on matte foundations forever because I was determined to have a flawless, matte, airbrushed look and I thought matte foundations were the only type that would help me achieve that. I’ve recently started using FARSÁLI - Unicorn Essence Antioxidant Primer Serumbefore my foundation and I also have switched to illuminating and Dewey foundations. There seems to be a bit of controversy over the Farsali Unicorn Essence... but for me it has made my foundations (any foundations ive tried) look stunning and not caked on. And because I still like to have somewhat of a matte finish I set my foundation with BECCA - Hydra-Mist Set & Refresh Powder. I like this powder because it’s a hydrating powder and it doesn’t cake on. It’s very fine and it actually feels like you are applying something wet to your face even though it’s a powder. It still gives me that matte finish I’m looking for without the cakey look! It sets my foundations beautifully and I don’t have any transfer with it. So while I don’t have a specific foundation recommendation, I have really been able to correct the cakey look with just those two products I tagged as well as proper skincare. I hope this was helpful 🙂

@addymonkey Long Wear foundations tend to stick to dry patches on our skin, perhaps this is the cakey look you are experiencing? I use Estée Lauder Double Wear Stay-in-Place Foundation 4W4 Hazel and add a drop or two of tarte Maracuja Oil 1.7 oz/ 50 mL right into my foundation bottle. I shake it up so the oil is well distributed and never have a problem with dryness or cakey looking foundation. 

@addymonkey You need something more moisturizring like NARS - Pure Radiant Tinted Moisturizer Broad Spectrum SPF 30 and mix it with beauty oil for extra hydration.

Conversation Stats
  • 3 replies
  • 4 Hearts Given
  • 4 Contributors
testing