Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Complexion Club

Foundation, Concealer etc. for oily skin

Hey, I've never been into makeup but lately, began to think about getting a foundation, primer, concealer etc. I have oily skin and is very acne prone but other than that, I've been told I have tiny pores and very good skin overall. I was thinking of getting Fenty foundation and primer (tbh that's the only ones I know besides high end brands which I think is way too much for a 20 yo college student) Could you guys give me tips for other things I could use concealer, etc. and how I should apply it? Since I'm new, any details and info. are more than welcomed and needed. Thanks!

Re: Foundation, Concealer etc. for oily skin

Hello! I would definitely look at skincare first since that can be a huge help with controlling oil. It may seem counterintuitive, but make sure you moisturize well to make sure your skin doesn't overproduce oil. As for applying the products, I find the best thing is to use for foundation is a damp sponge. A brush works too (when using a brush, I like to dab/press the foundation into my skin with the brush first, then swirl the brush around to buff and blend. Make sure to blend down your jawline/neck a little) - but a damp sponge will usually give you the smoothest, most flawless finish. In general, Real Techniques is a great affordable brand for any brushes you might need.

I'll list a couple products I like below: 

Moisturizer

Drugstore: Loreal Hydra Genius for oily skin 

High-end: Kate Somerville Exfolikate glow moisturizer, clinique dramatically different gel, ole henriksen counter balance hydrator

Primer

Drugstore: Rimmel Stay-Matte primer

High-end: Hourglass Mineral Veil, Peter Thomas Roth Skin to Die For, CoverFX Mattifying Primer

Foundation

Drugstore: Maybelline Fit Me Matte & Poreless, Milani Conceal + Perfect

High-end: Fenty (my favorite), Milk Blur Liquid Matte, Lancome Teint Idole, Smashbox BB Water

Concealer

Drugstore: Maybelline Fit Me, NYX HD Concealer

High-end: NARS Radiant Creamy (for undereyes), NARS Soft Matte (for spots/blemishes)

Setting Powder 

Drugstore: Rimmel Stay Matte

High-end: Laura Mercier Translucent Setting Powder

Application Products

Drugstore: Real Techniques Expert Face Brush, EcoTools Sponges 

High-End: Beautyblender, Sephora #45 Brush, Tarte Foundation Brush & Spatula

Hope this helps! Also, I'm trying to get The Oily Skin Question Thread going over at https://community.sephora.com/t5/Oily-Skin/The-Oily-Skin-Question-Thread/m-p/3331975#M9433, so please feel free to post questions there anytime too!! ❤️ 

Re: Foundation, Concealer etc. for oily skin

There are so many great products that suit your skin type, YouTube is a great source ( I mean, GREAT ) for finding new products and reviews before purchasing, and they'll even be tutorials to get you help with application tips.

As for foundation on oily/textured skin I might give these a try (go in Sephora and ask for samples 🙂 also the *'s are cheaper options)

-Fenty Pro Filt'r

-Urban Decay All Nighter

-Tarte Amazonian Clay 12hr

-Kat Von D Lockit Foundation

-Maybelline Fit Me*

-Wetnwild Photofocus*

Concealer:

-Tarte Shapetape

-Urban Decay All Nighter

-Maybelline Fit Me*

I recommend getting one foundation, and two concealers. One lighter concealer and one that is your skintone. Apply foundation all over, then use the light concealer under your eyes, center of forehead, down bridge of nose, and on chin. Use skintone shade concealer to spot conceal any acne blemishes or redness still peeking thru. Then Powder, and voila!

Conversation Stats
  • 2 replies
  • 2 Hearts Given
  • 3 Contributors
testing