Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Complexion Club
|

Desperate for product recs!

I’m looking for some skincare regimen suggestions as well as moisturizer, primer, (concealer?) and foundation recs.

Ive had a lot of trouble finding what works. I currently wash twice a day with dial body wash (I haven’t found a face wash I love so I just gave up), Cerave day moisturizer, and Tarte Amazonian clay with a beauty blender. I exfoliate a few times a week with a washcloth. 

My skin is dry and flakey, which shows a lot when I apply foundation. It looks real flakey and then it gets oily. Then it slides around my face and shows my discoloration (my chin redness shows through after a while). 

Im looking for a daily regimen that will leave my skin happy (smooth, hydrated, not at all dry and flakey) and my makeup to cover my periodic acne, redness, and dark spots while staying put all day. 

Ideas? I’ve been to sephora twice and neither recommendation really worked. Before this I tried Sephora brand liquid.

Desperate for product recs!

I would recommend using a soft face brush instead of the washcloth to cleanse. I love the Tweezerman Complexion Cleansing brush ($16 from Target and Ulta). It's got densely packed, super soft bristles that clean deeply and gently. I've got very soft washcloths, and even those feel harsh now that I'm using this brush!

Re: Desperate for product recs!

I think between the body wash and rough washcloth exfoliation, you're beating up your skin. From your description, it sounds dehydrated. I have rosacea with occasional redness, so I stick to a gentle and simple routine. For a cleanser, I recommend Youth to the People Superfood. It removes my makeup without stripping my skin, and there are no acnegenic or irritating ingredients. I'm wondering, though, if you might benefit from something a little creamier. CeraVe has a nice one and is very budget-friendly. 

I rarely wear primer, but the Hourglass Veil Mineral Primer would be my favorite. My absolute holy grail foundation is Make Up For Ever Ultra HD Invisible Cover. It covers my rosacea, doesn't emphasize any texture, and wears beautifully throughout the day. I pair it with the NARS Radiant Creamy Concealer. 

@kellkellkelly Body skin is tougher than facial skin. Dial is harsh, don't use as a facial wash. The skin is unbalanced, and dehydrated. Dry skin lacks oil.

Cleanser: La Roche Posay hydrating cleanser, it doesn't foam which isn't necessary. They have a matching moisturizer or use the CeraVe if you like. 

Are you sensitive to anything? If so, what? If sensitive, is that why you're exfoliating with a washcloth? Also remember to wash cloth regularly 😉 There are gentle physical exfoliators like Origins modern fricton, which becomes a bit creamy. Depending you may need an chemical exfoliator (Dr Gross peels, AHA/BHAs).

Facial oil, Acure seriously soothing, helps dehydration.

I think the dry flakiness could definitely be caused by dial body wash used as a facial cleanser. It's really harsh and is likely stripping all the good facial oils.

You could try CAUDALIE - Instant Foaming Cleanserto cleanse. I like DR. JART+ - Water Fuse Ultimate Hydro Gel. for a moisturizer. You can slowly introduce a chemical exfoliant to help get rid of some of the dead skin. Sunday Riley Good Genes All-In-One AHA Lactic Acid Treatment 1.7 oz / 50 mlworks amazingly for me! It is pricey, though, so if you have a sephora nearby, I'd get some samples of different exfoliants to see what works best for you. I haven't tried this one yet, but I've heard good things about FARMACY - Honeymoon Glow AHA Resurfacing Night Serum with Echinacea GreenEnvy™

For foundation, since your skin is dry, it's probably best to avoid matte formulas as they can cling to dry patches. Once again, take advantage of samples if you can! I like Hourglass Vanish™ Seamless Finish Foundation Stick 5 Shellyou could also try Too Faced Born This Way Natural Finish Longwear Liquid Foundation Brulee

If your flakiness subsides once you change your skincare, I've been a huge fan of DIOR - BACKSTAGE Face & Body Foundationlately. But since it's more matte, it can cling to dry patches.

Good luck in your journey! 🙂

My recommendations are as follows: for cleansers, look for something simple that leaves your face feeling refreshed - personally I quite like The Deep Cleanse from Tatcha - but I've heard really good things about Dr Sam's Flawless Cleanser. The Lazy Day All-In-One Moisture Pads from Peach and Lily are a good addition too, although I wouldn't personally go without a moisturiser. You might also want to incorporate using face sheet masks regularly - personally I like ones with aloe because they are very soothing - my favourite ones are from My Beauty Diary, but there are tons of different brands to try out. 

For skin texture, I do think that incorporating an essence really helps (I used to think this was nonsense until I felt the results on my own skin). The trick is finding one that doesn't cause break outs or increased sensitivity. I've had good luck with the essence from Tatcha, but it is a bit on the pricey side, and I'm certain that there are many other budget friendly options (I'm planning on trying out ones from Peach & Lily and CosRx).

For a moisturiser to help with the redness, you might want to try out Dr G's Red Blemish Clear Cream. I'm currently using Tatcha's Indigo Cream at night, and I'm liking it, but there are many other options that are more budget friendly. 

Hi @kellkellkelly! I would HIGHLY recommend that you immediately stop using Dial Body Wash for your face. That could be one of the main reasons your face is so dry and flaky. It would probably be better to just wash your face with water until you find a face wash that works for you. 

It's really hard to recommend skincare products because everyone's skin is different. My skin is also dry and can be quite sensitive, so some of my suggestions may work for you. I am currently using Clinique (CLINIQUE Rinse-Off Foaming Cleanser 5 oz/ 150 mL and Clarifying Lotion 1.0, which is the only one without alcohol) and Kiehl's (KIEHL'S SINCE 1851 - Ultra Facial Deep Moisture Balm, KIEHL'S SINCE 1851 - Ultra Facial Toner) for the majority of my skincare needs.

I also think the Amazon Clay Foundation may be too drying for your skin. Maybe try the Too Faced Born This Way Natural Finish Longwear Liquid Foundation Brulee with theToo Faced Hangover Replenishing Face Primer 1.35 oz/ 40 mL. The concealer I swear by is the NARS Radiant Creamy Concealer Biscuit. I use a lot of concealers, but the NARS is one of my absolute favorites. 

Good Luck! I hope you're able to find something that works for you.

Conversation Stats
  • 6 replies
  • 3 Hearts Given
  • 7 Contributors
testing