Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Complexion Club
|

Community Favorite Concealers: Tag your Holy Grails!

Community Favorite ConcealersCommunity Favorite Concealers

Even though we’re always looking for an excuse to add more makeup newness to our baskets, there’s something to be said about a makeup product that can serve double (or triple!) duty. And dare we say it? Concealer might just be the ultimate multitasking MVP. Need to brighten dark circles? Concealer is your shining ray of hope. Looking to shape and define? Concealer is ready to get you looking snatched. Blemishes or discoloration? Concealer’s got you covered, naturally!

While our complexion routines may evolve over the years to suit the latest beauty trends or adjust to our unique skin needs, concealer always seems to find a place in our makeup rotation. Let’s give a shout-out to some of our tried-and-true Community Favorites:

Now it’s your turn to share your own concealer favorites! Reply below and use the “#” sign to tag your concealer holy grails – and don’t forget to share any tips and tricks to go with them!

Re: Community Favorite Concealers: Tag your Holy Grails!

@TeamBIC   For all over no budge coverage Nars Radiant Creamy Concealer is my HG.  I am also in love with Saie Hydrabeam for its natural luminous finish.  NARS Radiant Creamy Concealer Chestnut #Saie Hydrabeam Hydrating & Concealer Under Eye Brightener 

@heartsmyface  I definitely want to try the Saie! 

@PrettyPaint   I want to  everything from Saie and have been trying to power through products so I can rationalize a ‘haul haul’.  Does that make me a responsible adult now?  

@TeamBIC  My favorite, holy grail concealer is Tarte Shape Tape. She never disappoints! 

@TeamBIC My all-time favorite is the Laura Mercier Flawless Fusion Ultra Longwear Concealer (3N) but I've loved a few others along the way, including Lancôme Teint Idole Ultra Wear All Over Full Coverage Concealer, NARS Radiant Creamy Concealer, and Urban Decay Stay Naked Correcting Concealer 40NY.

For brightening, I like the Charlotte Tilbury Hollywood Flawless Filter and for eyelid primer, I sometimes use Mac's Paint Pot. 

How/why I use concealer: 
Spoiler
I use concealer to mask my sunken skin shadows (hollow tear troughs), rather than coat my entire undereye area. I sometimes spot-conceal elsewhere on my face, but not often. I never use concealer to brighten/highlight the center of my face, or to prime my eyelids. 

My undereyes have the driest skin on my mostly-dry combo face. That’s also where my prominent wrinkles are. And my tear troughs have a bumpy texture that’s gradually improving, thanks to certain skincare products/ingredients, but will probably never disappear unless I opt for an in-office/clinic procedure. Oh, and my facial skin hates certain ingredients—plus I have fairly sensitive eyes—so I have to keep concealer ingredients in mind. 

For all those reasons, cream concealers usually work best for me. Some folks find cream concealers too heavy, thick, and/or cakey on their skin—and I’ve had those issues with some others I’ve tried. But overall, creams play nicer with my particular skin type/condition than liquids. 
Products currently in rotation: 

In the Hourglass palette, the far left pan is Luminous Light.In the Hourglass palette, the far left pan is Luminous Light.
Concealers: 
Spoiler

Honorable mention: Il Makiage F*ck I’m Flawless - I have shade 14 which oxidizes to a pretty good color correcting match for me. It's a creamy liquid instead of a solid cream concealer, but it plays nice with my skin. 

Sometimes I use 2 shades of concealer: one as a base color corrector, and a lighter one directly over the shadow in the deepest part of my hollow tear troughs. For this, I prefer a creamy liquid concealer that'll sit well atop a cream concealer base. I might try a lighter shade of Il Makiage's concealer for that purpose, unless I find a good shade in a different brand's concealer. 

I’m often asked if these concealers crease. Yes, they do. ALL concealers crease if applied over lines/wrinkles. I don’t care what any brand claims: there’s no such thing as creaseless concealer, unless the person using it has very shallow or no lines. You can minimize creasing with other products like setting powder and primer. But yeah, if you have lines, chances are they’ll collect concealer. 
Brushes: 
Spoiler
I use the PAT McGRATH LABS Skin Fetish: Sublime Perfection Concealer Brush to tap-blend on product. It’s as close to fingertip application as I can get. (I don’t use beauty sponges.) I sometimes follow with my finger, but I find warming a solid cream concealer up on the back of my hand and then picking it up (from my hand) with this brush works well. 

Small flat brushes apply concealer right atop the darkest line of my hollow tear trough. This creates an optical illusion that masks the shadow and makes the sunken skin look a bit lifted. The brushes photographed are Chikuhodo R-SL1 Shadow Liner and MAC 208 Angled Brow, but I have a couple other Chikuhodos and a tiny Surratt that are the same shape and size as the R-SL1. 

I didn't include (in my photo) any of the brushes I use to apply powder... oops. I most often use soft fluffy blender or crease blender brushes for that. 
Powders: 
Spoiler
By Terry Hyaluronic Hydra-Powder (loose translucent version) is how I set concealer. It's still my rockstar setting powder. Nothing comes close to outperforming it, including the pressed compact version of this same powder. 

Sometimes I’ll also dust a bit of brightening powder or soft/mild highlighter in the hollows to bounce light off the shadows. My favorite product for this is Hourglass Ambient® Lighting Finishing Powder in various shades, usually Luminous Light or Radiant Light. NARS Highlighting Powder also works well for this. 

Hmm, maybe this thread will give me some other concealers to test. 🙂 

@WinglessOne I usually apply my concealer with a sponge because I've yet to find a brush that doesn't make it look streaky but I'll have to try the Pat McGrath one. What a great review of all the products in your rotation!

Thanks @AznAngelLiz ! Streak-free application with a brush might depend on the concealer you use. But the PMG brush works well when used like a finger or sponge: blending with more of a tapping motion than a sweeping motion. If you try that brush, I hope it works well for you! 

My favorite concealer has been discontinued and Sephora no longer carries the brand:  Cover FX Cream Concealer.  I also use Cover FX Click Stick in yellow to neutralize redness.

@Titian06   The cover fx was soooo high coverage!   Such a good one that never needed a color corrector. 

I'm with @idanyd - my holy grail is NARS Soft Matte Complete Concealer! I have a couple on hand that I switch between depending on the season/how tan I am. I've most recently been applying it with a SEPHORA COLLECTION PRO Crease Brush #19 which is technically an eye brush, but the synthetic bristles work great for holding and depositing product on active pimples and acne scars. 🙂 

GeorginaBT_0-1662761392829.png

I’ve tried almost every HG concealer out there, and have enjoyed most of them just fine. Due to my sensitive eyes though, I’m selective with what I use. Clinique eye makeup doesn’t seem to irritate me at all, so lately my concealer of choice has been their CLINIQUE Even Better™ All-Over Concealer + Eraser and like it quite a bit. I find it blends nicely, brightens my under-eye, and plays well with the other products I use. The attached sponge makes it super easier to use too. 

@TeamBIC it’s like you read my mind - I was just thinking how I wanted to share a new concealer that really works for me lately! My new fav for concealing my under eyes is the Bobbi Brown Instant Full Cover Concealer in the shade Ivory. It’s a bit lighter than my skin tone and so it actually doubles up as an inner corner highlight too! And true too its name, it’s full coverage; I can’t see any of the previous darkness under my eyes after a couple swipes of this! 

i have a different fav concealer for covering blemishes because I find the full cover one seems to make the blemish look a little dry. My holy grail for blemishes is Anna Sui Spot Concealer in 01. It hides blemish marks so seamlessly and blends right into my skin. Unfortunately, it’s very tough to find a replacement for it since most retailers like Beautylish isn’t selling this product anymore and I’m running out. Will browse this thread for everyone’s recommendations for some ideas 😁

@TeamBIC  My holy grail concealer is NARS Soft Matte Complete Concealer 

I can't tag, because this is no longer sold on Sephora.  (Please bring this back to Sephora!)

My favorite concealer is #Lancome Effacernes Waterproof Long-Lasting Under Eye Concealer. 

No need to powder over this!

tarte Shape Tape™ Concealer 

I like this concealer because it has great coverage and doesn't crease under my eyes.

too faced concealer. first makeup i ever did own. still using it. i don’t use it on dark circles, however, because i have very very dry undereyes that dislike just about every concealer i’ve tried.

testing