Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Complexion Club
|

Best Expensive Foundation?

Hi guys, I wanted to buy a luxury foundation and I'm stuck between a couple of them. I already love Fenty so that one isn't an option. I'm stuck between Nars Sheer Glow, Nars Radiant Longwear, Dior Backstage Face and Body, and Lancôme Teint Idole. I have oily skin and my main goal w/ foundation is to look smooth and poreless. What would you recommend that I get?

Re: Best Expensive Foundation?

I do love Dior backstage face & body foundation

I really love the Dior backstage face & body foundation! I've also heard wonderful things about GUERLAIN - L'Essentiel Natural 16H Wear Foundation SPF 20

RE: Best Expensive Foundation?

Nars Natural Radiant Longwear Foundation

I'm also a big fan of Fenty! It's my holy grail. I've tried most of the foundations on your list, and out of the ones you included, Lancome was my favorite. I liked NARS in terms of coverage, but it tended to "break apart" in the oily zones of my face after around 6 hours. Lancome tended to be longer wearing, and could last about 10. Fenty beats out Lancome for me, personally, but Lancome is a close second for my holy grail. 

Have you gone into a Sephora and asked for samples? That REALLY helped me figure out what formula and brand my skin looked best in. The samples from the store locations are usually large enough that you can wear the foundation for about three days - enough time to see how your skin reacts to it and how long it lasts for you. 

RE: Best Expensive Foundation?

Lamer is amazing

Re: RE: Best Expensive Foundation?

@isabella2- I agree! @emxteller - consider La Mer, if you have not already found your high end "go to."

La Mer The Soft Fluid Long Wear Foundation SPF 20is the best high-end foundation (for me, even better than Chanteicalle - my former "Aston Martin foundation" I'd get at Neiman's).

I use my La Mer Foundation, like... let's go back in time when I was single -- I'd have used it to go out with a dapper, sophisticated Ukrainian or Russian man. (I'm married to one now, but I'm trying to think of an example here!)

I save it for when I want to be extra radiant, luminous, and glowing! My everyday foundation varies, if I want to look pale (like Snow White) I will go with NARS Sheer Glow Foundation Siberia but my perfect match is NARS Sheer Glow Foundation Oslo -- and these are high-end. We're just comparing a Mercedez-Benz to an Aston Martin.

In this look below, here's what I used, and I also include a picture of all the products as well:

First I washed my face. I don't think the cleanser matters but I use samples of Tatcha The Deep Cleanse Gentle Exfoliating Cleanser (I need to save $ somewhere, right?) Here are details of the look:

La Mer The Concentrate Serum 1 oz/ 30 mL 

La Mer Crème de la Mer Moisturizer 3.4 oz / 100 mL 

SK-II R.N.A. POWER Anti-Aging Eye Cream(a sample I love, as La Mer's Eye Balm sucked - did NADA!)

Laura Mercier Pure Canvas Primer - Perfecting(a sample, which I like)

NARS Soft Matte Complete Concealer Vanilla(under eyes, should have used some on the chin too, oh well)

La Mer The Soft Fluid Long Wear Foundation SPF 20(#120 Ivory)

PAT McGRATH LABS Lip Fetish Sheer Colour Balm Clear(added major shine to a very matte lip color!)

NARS Velvet Matte Lipstick Pencil Cruella 

NARS Mosaic - it's called "Fireclay" (disc.) - for my blush

KVD Beauty Brow Struck Dimension Powder(color: "Very Brown" which is now no longer sold in usa)

Urban Decay 24/7 Glide-On Waterproof Eyeliner Pencil Bourbon 

Last, I misted and fixed with L'Occitaine Cherry Blossom Face Mist - you can find that at L'Occitaine.

I am 42 years old.

Below are pictures of the products that created this dewy look. It was a combination, but La Mer is the best foundation I have ever used and I have tried them all!

I usually do start with the La Mer Lotion after I cleanse, but I am conserving - and use that product only AMs.

Rocket to Russia!Rocket to Russia!

20201220_233939.jpg

Re: RE: Best Expensive Foundation?

@V21988 I love having an assortment of foundation.  I keep hearing great things about LaMer foundation. Great recommendation.  

Hi @emxteller,

If you want a poreless look, I recommend using the GIORGIO ARMANI BEAUTY - Power Fabric Longwear High Cover Foundation SPF 25.

Using a primer or setting powder that fills your pores along with your foundation is the key to achieving a flawless complexion. I recommend the IT Cosmetics Bye Bye Pores Translucent Pressed Setting Powder Translucent

Stay Gorgeous,

Penelope

@emxteller The Lancôme would be great for your oily skin, and I have heard Dior Backstage is oily skin friendly too. You may also like Dior Forever 24 Hr Wear Matte, it’s my favorite matte finish foundation for my combo skin. 

@emxteller  You have great taste. 🙂

I have, or at least tried, all of the foundations you mentioned except for the Dior one. Since you have oily skin and want to minimize the appearance of your pores, I have two other brands to recommend (I also have/had these.)

Armani's Power Fabric Longwear High Cover Foundation gives me that poreless, smooth look.  It's geared towards oily and combination skin.

Another product that gives great coverage is the Hourglass Immaculate Liquid to Powder foundation and their Veil Mineral Primer.  At one point I had very oily skin and live in a humid climate and the combination of those two products lasted the whole day for me.

https://www.sephora.com/product/power-fabric-longwear-high-cover-foundation-spf-25-P416785

https://www.sephora.com/product/veil-mineral-primer-P210575

https://www.sephora.com/product/immaculate-liquid-powder-foundation-mattifying-oil-free-P301802?icid...

I love - LOVE! - my Dior Forever Skin radiant! I also have the Lancome and Guerlain foundations and I found both to be rather drying in spite of a solid skincare routine. They both also seemed to accentuate my pores and fine lines.  The Dior  though, is a dream! It's not overly dewy, but hydrating and very natural looking. It is also the only foundation, out of dozens I've worn over 3 decades, that gives me a truly flawless complexion.  I have very uneven skin tone and blotchy redness  and though it isn't completely opaque full-coverage, the blotchiness vanishes while still showing some natural depth, which is great because I'm not one for contouring. I can't rave enough about that foundation! I want to try the Airflash at some point - it was the only one with higher reviews. And Wayne Goss said it was the best foundation he's ever seen, so it has to be spectacular! 

11 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 11 replies
  • 12 Hearts Given
  • 12 Contributors
Photos2
  • Rocket to Russia!
  • 20201220_233939.jpg
testing