cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Complexion Club
|

2021 Foundation Challenge: Tag Your Complexion Routine Then vs. Now

FoundationChallenge2021.png

We can’t help but notice how much our “MOTD” (makeup of the day) – especially our complexion routines – has changed over the past year. With many of our social engagements gone virtual, bedrooms turning into home offices, and maskne becoming a new skin obstacle we never thought we’d have, we’re so curious: How has your foundation routine changed from a year ago compared to now?

Maybe you’ve ditched your full primer-concealer-foundation-powder routine and switched to something a bit simpler. Maybe you’ve found a new favorite tinted moisturizer or lightweight skin tint to match your pared-down schedule. Or maybe your foundation go-tos haven’t changed at all – anything to keep up some kind of routine, ya know?

For this Challenge, we want you to tag your typical complexion routine from a year ago – aka “THEN” (primers, concealers, setting powders count too!), and then below that, tag your current typical complexion routine “NOW.” We can’t wait to see how your makeup has changed to suit the times – and also see how many of you are still staying faithful to your same holy grails! It’s all fair game.

Click the “Reply” button below and tag your favorite foundation/complexion products THEN vs. NOW! Just type the “#” symbol before each product!

Re: 2021 Foundation Challenge: Tag Your Complexion Routine Then vs. Now

@eshoe @Samtian @WinglessOne Most Magical of all balls.  I saw a youtuber mention these the other day and I kept saying Magic Balls out loud every time they called them by the wrong name. 

@missjeanie Hahaha that makes me happy!

@WinglessOne It's much easier to spell lol and funner to say!

@Samtian  magic balls!  I love it!

Hahaha!! @TeamBIC my how times have changed eh!

Then - Full face of what I call a 'natural look'.  

Under eye corrector BECCA Cosmetics Under Eye Brightening Corrector 

Foundation varied MAKE UP FOR EVER Ultra HD Invisible Cover Stick Foundation 

MAC Face and Body

Dr. Jart+ Premium Beauty Balm SPF 40 

Concealer - always under the eyes... hereditary dark circles are real.  This changed a lot too as I'm always looking for the best one for me... a lifelong quest perhaps. I do believe one of the main ones I used last year was the Too Faced Born This Way Naturally Radiant Concealer Fair 

Powder -- This varies as well, but the MAKE UP FOR EVER Ultra HD Microfinishing Pressed Powder  is one that I always go back to. 

Setting Spray - I was using the Ulta brand SPF setting spray in the yellow bottle for the last few years. 

Now -- I'll be totally honest here.  I've been laid off from my big girl job since June.  My casual job has turned into my part time gig and most of it can be done from home, so it is.  This job doesn't even require much by way of zoom meetings.  There are totally days where I don't even wash my face.  Trying to be a lot better about this though, as I know it's a side effect of everything going on and that I feel better when I'm taking care of my body.  The only time I put make up of any kind on now is if I'm going to see my nieces or going into work to do a cheque run.  My province is currently in a state of emergency so... even that's slim.  That said, I've been using the time to try and use up a project pan from 2020 the It Cosmetics Celebration Powder Foundation.  Hopefully I'll have it done soon.  The MAC Studio Tech cream foundation gets mixed in there too.  And the Dior Foreverskin concealer, if I think there's a chance I'll see another human lol. 

@missjeanie So sorry to hear that you were laid off from your job 😔 but glad to see your resilience in being able to pivot to your side hustle. With the face washing, I am the same. Nowadays I wash my face when I really feel I need to (usually at night and skip washing in the mornings). I am trying to get better at it too by reminding myself I still have a lot of cleansers stocked up to try.

@Guessgal   

I swear I didn't wash my face this morning either....  And I also have several cleansers to go through... lol

Then 

Primer - Dr. Brandt Skincare pores no more® pore refiner primer (sometimes just wore this) 

Foundation - Josie Maran Vibrancy Argan Oil Foundation Fluid Euphoric RG20 

Concealer - NARS Radiant Creamy Concealer Vanilla and Kokie Be Bright Light 

Now 

Primer - good skincare and when I remember whatever I grab from my rotation of samples 

Foundation - switching between full coverage BECCA Cosmetics Ultimate Coverage 24 Hour Foundation Linen 1N1 , hydrating medium coverage Josie Maran Vibrancy Argan Oil Foundation Fluid Euphoric RG20 and tinted SPF Peter Thomas Roth Max Mineral Naked Broad Spectrum SPF 45 UVA/UVB Protective Lotion depending on feeling/weather. Honestly tilts toward tinted SPF more often. 

Concealer - Kokie Be Bright, but not under eyes anymore usually 

Powder - BECCA Cosmetics Soft Light Blurring Setting Powder Golden Hour. Using powder consistently because of the mask wearing has been the biggest change. 

@haleyvvvv do you find that a powder has helped with the makeup rubbing off on your masks?

Yes, @missjeanie. I do my foundation and concealer, then a layer of powder followed by setting spray (pressing in with a sponge), and then the rest of my face and another light dusting of powder and setting spray (again with a soft press in with a sponge). I find I hardly get transfer when I do this for my regular masks, but I haven't tested against a respirator (which I rarely, if ever, wear makeup under, but do occasionally, and I know other people are wearing).

Good info @haleyvvvv !  I rarely go out of the house now, but we'll be wearing masks out and about for a good long while yet I suspect and I know I do transfer when I wear them right now.

THEN:

Primer: CoverFx Mattifying primer 

Concealer: Jouer Cosmetics Essential High Coverage Liquid Concealer Dulce de Leche 

Foundation: Fenty Beauty by Rihanna Pro Filt’r Soft Matte Longwear Liquid Foundation 300 

Bronzer: Fenty Beauty by Rihanna Cheeks Out Freestyle Cream Bronzer 05 Teddy 

Powder: KVD brightening powder

NOW-ISH:

Sometimes, just an eye look + skincare and concealer for spot coverage.  Jouer, of course.

Primer: The Ordinary High-Adherence Silicone Primer 1 oz/ 30 mL or cover Fx

BECCA Cosmetics Skin Love Weightless Blur Foundation Bamboo 

NOW NOW

Currently wearing Fenty Beauty by Rihanna Pro Filt’r Soft Matte Longwear Powder Foundation 310  with CoverFx and Jouer

@danielledanielle What are your thoughts on the Fenty Powder Foundation?  I've been thinking of picking one up since I'm finishing off the only powder foundation that I have (Not that I need one in any way shape or form) but I have dry skin so I'm on the fence. 

@missjeanie , so far, I like it.  I have two other powder foundations, KVD Beauty Lock-It Powder Foundation and Cover Fx.  It'd definitely better than the KVD, but on par with the Cover Fx.  I think applying it with a brush it the way to go, you can still build it up.

What are your thoughts on The Ordinary primer @danielledanielle ? How does it compare to the other more mainstream primers on the market?

@Guessgal , I like it a lot.   It was something I picked up in person and just never used until a few months ago.  A little goes a long way, it dries clear and it's five bucks.  I don't mind the "silicone feel" other primers have, but it doesn't have that jelly-like feel at all.  I also use it to clean up eye makeup when I needed to - mistakes with liner, glitter fall out. 

@TeamBIC  My then routine was Tatcha The Silk Canvas Protective Primer 0.7 oz/ 20 g  Armani Beauty Luminous Silk Foundation Customizable Set  NARS Radiant Creamy Concealer Amande  and Laura Mercier Translucent Loose Setting Powder 

My new routine is LAWLESS Set The Stage Hydrating Primer Serum 1.7 oz/ 50 mL SEPHORA COLLECTION Bright Future Gel Serum Under Eye Concealer  and LAWLESS Seal The Deal Loose Setting Powder Mini Classic Translucent 

Im focusing more on my skincare now. I only use concealer where I need it!!!

@ather  I've always wanted to try the GA luminous silk but I've never made it to a store with shades to match.  Is it as great as they all say?

@missjeanie, the Armani LSF is one of 2 foundations I have repurchased time and time again, pre-stay at home. I've been using the LSF for over a decade ... ummm, to be clear, I haven't been using the same bottle for over a decade... 😂🤣😂

I actually went and used a few shade finders to figure out what my best guess for a shade would be last night @itsfi , and it comes in one of the smaller bottles.... I might need to bite the bullet and give it a go finally! Perfect skin/base products is my forever dream!

@missjeanie GA luminous silk is worth a try if you can try samples of it.  I went inside Nordstrom years ago to get matched.

Conversation Stats
Photos3
  • FoundationChallenge2021.png
  • 13P
  • 16259877009731267588990658493255.jpg
testing