Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Combination Skin
|

Non-cakey foundation for combination skin?

Hi beauties!

I'm having some trouble with my foundation and it's driving me crazy. I would love some advice/suggestions.

I have combination skin and deal with breakouts/dryness frequently. I've invested in a good moisturizer and the dryness is improving greatly. But...

My foundation still looks cakey. It's as if it's sitting in a layer floating slightly above my skin and separates around my nose, chin, and upper lip areas. It's not very appealing. The pores on the sides of my nose are rather large and I know that doesn't help anything.

My current routine is:

- First Aid Beauty face cleanser

- BareMinerals Butter Drench cream moisturizer

- BareMinerals Mattifying Prep Gel

- BareMinerals Bare Pro liquid foundation

- Tarte Shape Tape concealer

- Tarte Smooth Operator finishing powder

I've just purchased a different primer on the advice of someone I met in-store, Benefit's The POREfessional face primer but have yet to actually try it to see the difference.

Oh, and I apply the foundation/concealer with a beauty blender. I also prefer full coverage.

Any advice would be welcome! If it's a matter of needing a different product or an application technique, anything. Thanksyou!

Re: Non-cakey foundation for combination skin?

I just started having the same problem and our common denominator is: bare minerals barepro performance wear. I just switched to this also and didn’t have this problem before. So I would bet that the foundation is the problem.

Hi!

I have combination skin and am prone to breakouts. I find the type of primer is very important. Since you mentioned you purchased the POREfessional primer (the green one, right?), try using that after your mattifying gel. Make sure you pat the product in and not swipe.

After you've laid your foundation, set it with powder (especially in your trouble areas: nose, chin, lip areas, which are mine too). Follow with the rest of your routine and see if there is a difference.

I'm no expert, but I found this worked for me. Also, my combination skin seems to reject bareminerals and clinique products, but I hope my suggestions helped.

Best!

Hi! I would recommend going to your local Sephora or Dillard (anywhere that carries, Laura Mercier) and getting a sample of "Flawless Fusion Ultra-Longwear Foundation" I also have combination skin. I have really like the way the foundation looks, for me it isn't cakey, which is my favorite part of it! This works really well with a beauty blender. 

Also, Make Up For Ever "Water Blend Face & Body Foundation" has worked wonders for me. You can build it up to the amount of coverage you want. I like to use a brush or my fingers to apply it, but you could also use a beauty blender, it's just what my preference is. I hope this helps! 

Good luck! 

🙂

Thank you! I have a Sephora close by and will hopefully be able to take a trip over there next week. Knowing what to get samples of will help make my life so much easier!

1 Reply
Conversation Stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 Hearts Given
  • 4 Contributors
testing