Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Clean at Sephora

clinique

Hi Beauty Experts,

My name is Sandra Hoppe, and I need to know which brand would you recommend for an old and mature skin (59 years old and sun lover): Estee Lauder or Clinique.

My other question is: should I use a face serum before the moisturizer?.

Thank you so much for the answers,

Sandra

Re: clinique

@Sanperu Hi there, I too agree with @WinglessOne that you should  identify skin issues you'd like to address.  I have combination skin, in my early 50's but have never used Estee Lauder or Clinique skin care products.  I use a mix of the following brands and it when I use them depends on many factors, including weather.     Currently I use a combination of Skin Medica, Skinceuticals, Tatcha, Tata Harper, Paula's Choice, SK-II, and Caudalie.   For sunscreen I use Super Goop and Missha.  I use my serum before moisturizer.  I also use a prescription retinol when needed.  

@Sanperu - I agree with @WinglessOne .  I'm heading for exit 56 on the highway of life.  I used Clinique many years ago when first getting into skincare because a friend suggested it.  Now I choose products based on ingredients and what result I'm looking for.  Therefore, I use an array of brands--Caudalie, The Ordinary, Tatcha, Peter Thomas Roth, and others.  Try to get samples of products in different brands to help you determine what you like.

Hi @Sanperu ! I’m in my late 40s but haven’t had much experience with either of those brands. I’ve used and enjoyed Estée Lauder’s Advanced Night Complex II before, but I haven’t used it in a year or so. I can’t use much Clinique because my skin’s sensitive to some ingredients in several of their products. I recommend you identify which skincare issues you want to address, learn which ingredients can help address them, and then seek products that contain those ingredients—regardless of brand. 

I say that because there are plenty of other skincare brands that work well for mature skin. Eh, I’m much more ingredient- and need/goal-driven than brand-driven: there’s no brand whose entire product line I can use, so my routine is a mix of things from several brands. My current routine includes Paula’s Choice, The Ordinary, The Inkey List, CeraVe, e.l.f., COSRX, one Herbivore product (CBD oil), and a few other brands. 

About serums and moisturizers: a moisturizer’s main job is to seal hydration into your skin and prevent moisture loss. So, normally serums would go before moisturizer. But certain serums containing potentially irritating ingredients—retinoids, for instance—can be applied after moisturizer, if your skin needs a buffer to tolerate those serums. 

Conversation Stats
  • 3 replies
  • 7 Hearts Given
  • 4 Contributors
testing