Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Clean at Sephora
|

Vegan/Cruelty Free

Is anyone else, hoping that Sephora gets with the times and finally adds vegan and cruelty-free as options to search by?

Re: Vegan/Cruelty Free

Absolutely, it would make shopping here so much easier.

Anonymous Insider

RE: Vegan/Cruelty Free

My favorite cruelty-free brand at Sephora is Tarte. No animal testing (ever - pro tip is if they sell it in China, they do animal testing because it’s required by law), gluten- and soy-free, and dermatologist recommended. Not to mention their products are GOOD quality in terms of look and feel.

Re: RE: Vegan/Cruelty Free

I'm more Kat Von D and Urban Decay when it comes to cruelty-free make-up, but I'm hearing from a few friends that Tarte is a line to check out as well.

Marc Jacobs makeup is also cruelty-free, and starting to play with that line, as they have amazing eyeliners and lip glosses.

Anonymous Insider

Yes! It’s so frustrating! And many of the cruelty free products don’t even say they are on the page or the packaging! I have to do all this googling every time I want to buy something!

YES! Sephora has influence in the beauty community & this would be a huge step in the right direction. 

A CF/Vegan option would be great, but even then I would want to read the ingredient box. There are a lot of vegan indie brands I haven't tried though because I just want to buy at Sephora so I can collect my points. Is that stupid? haha

If only 😩 For now, my go to guide for cruelty free and vegan brands is Tashina from Logical Harmony. She's got the best list on her blog and on YouTube 👍🏻

What’s her YouTube channel called?

Yes. Cruelty over vegan. Yogurt and egg and be an amazing ingredients. I really hope they put pressure on NARS to reject their new animal testing program.

bear423 wrote:
Yes. Cruelty over vegan. Yogurt and egg and be an amazing ingredients. I really hope they put pressure on NARS to reject their new animal testing program.

Unfortunately, no matter even if it's labeled "humane" there is still cruelty behind the derivation of yogurt and eggs. In order to get milk, the baby is taken from its mother so humans can take its milk, its a very sad process. They milk the mother and artificially impregnate her again and again taking her baby each time. That was something I finally realized after years of being vegetarian and finally switched to vegan when I realized how much the female reproductive system is exploited to create the supply of eggs and milk. I couldn't believe it. Vegucated on Netflix is super informative if you're interested! I was shocked to realize that even though I was buying cruelty free products and avoiding fur and meat, that I was missing a huge part of the exploitation that is hidden behind advertisements and labels like "humane" Check out the documentary if you're interested to learn more, it's not graphic. 🐄♥️✌️

NARS is only the latest companies to chase the $$ in China. Same goes for almost all luxury brands like Estee Lauder, Dior, Chanel, etc. Even Sephora brand is not cruelty free... I am not expecting any big movement on this front from Sephora 😞
Anonymous Insider

yes! i've wanted a "vegan" search feature forever 

I echo everyone else's sentiment: I would love such a search function but think it would be difficult for Sephora to implement since people's definition of "cruelty free" differs. Personally, I use crueltyfreekitty to research brands and then when I'm searching I use the brand filter to narrow my options based on what I know is cruelty free. 

I think Sephora COULD do a better job educating their store staff on cruelty-free/vegan brands. I've gotten a lot of misinformation from employees on that topic.

My favorite cruelty free brands are: Tarte, Briogeo, Josie Maran, Drunk Elephant and Tatcha.

LayerCakeErin.... it depends on the store. Mine is amazing! They know I only do CF and an employee there is actually the first place I heard about NARS being traitors to our cause... Although, every time I shop in store I use it as a chance to educate the employees. 🙂

Agreed! NARS was my favorite brand before I started on the cruelty-free quest. I believe some if not all of Josie Maran's products are cruelty-free. I find a lot of helpful info. regarding cruelty free and vegan brands on ------.

Absolutely, and the reason they do not is because their products are not as they sell them on mainland China. It is not hard if you define the parameters of what you consider CF. a company that says they do not test but buy their products from third parties that may or may not, will not enforce how those parties behave, that is not a CF company. That's a company turns a blind eye for profit. Look up at cruelty free kitty for some research on what the standards are before stating that it is too hard. It is just a corporate laziness. As individuals research before buying. Not. Hard. 

That would be awesome! However, since brands and consumers have so many variations of what they consider to be cruelty-free, I think itwould be difficult for Sephora to create a CF search option that pleases everyone. My favourite reliable resource for CF brand lists is logicalharmony.net. She even has a list for CF brands at Sephora and Ulta to make your shopping easier

Yep, I use that website too. 

I tend to rely on what the brand says versus what a website says. There is a website that states which brands are cruelty free or not, yet they have their own definition on what the term "cruelty-free" means and have discredited brands without proper follow-up. It is still such a debatable topic. I do love a lot of the smaller brands that are new to Sephora that are independently owned and are homegrown and cruelty free, so that's  plus for Sephora!

Companies can be deceptive on their testing policies. They'll give you long stories on how they don't test and love animals and will later add that they test where required by law. Look for bunnies. The Leaping Bunny or the Cruelty-Free bunny. Companies have to apply to be able to put that on their labels and meet strict criteria for those bunny labels.  

Yes yes yes so much this!!! However even if they did that, you still have to read between the lines. Like mac for example on their website claims to be cruelty free BUT they have a market in China and China requires animal testing. Or like urban decay itself is cruelty free but the larger company that owns it (I think it's L'Oréal) tests on animals. Right now I've found farmacy and youth to the people for skincare that's completely cruelty free and for makeup kat von d and anastasia is completely cruelty free. I'm sure there's more I just haven't researched enough. People have differing ideas about cruelty free but I'm choosing not to give any money to any company that has to do with animal testing. And saying goodbye to urban decay, glamglow, and Nars was tough. Maybe if enough of us complain about it they'll make some changes.
48 Replies
Conversation Stats
testing