Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Brand Loyal
|

CHANEL in Sephora?

Hey Everyone! I absolutely love Chanel's makeup and beauty products, and I buy those products in Shoppers Drug Mart in Canada. Do you think that Chanel makeup would be a good fit for Sephora, or not? Id love to hear your thoughts. I think although it would be very convenient, they might not do as well as the luxury brands that are currently in Sephora.

Anonymous Insider

Re: CHANEL in Sephora?

I would love chanel from sephora too. Very beautiful!

I would be delighted if Sephora would sell Channel! I hope that they will sell it.

CHANEL in Sephora?

Chanel is now very strict to the point that I don't understand why they are still getting business. For example, in SDM, if you like the limited edition red bottle No5 and you want to buy 2, NO. The beauty advisor would not want to put her job at risk, the manager would not want to lose the contract with Chanel for selling more than what Chanel limited them to sell, 1 sku of each product each customer. SDM employees are no longer getting discount on Chanel

Actually I prefer to buy them at shoppers because of the 20x points. There’s 40x points last month just for Chanel. I have been a Rouge member for a long time but I don’t think I will keep it any more. Hope there will be more and more brands at shoppers.

Chanel was previously sold in Sephora US about a decade ago. It was never sold in Canadian Sephoras. Sephora europe and asia are basically separate entities that have no connection to what we get. For example, Sephora France has way nicer Sephora Collection products than us and I don't understand why since it is in-house brand. I'd love for Sephora Canada to get By Terry like they have in France.

My understanding is that Chanel actually has a bigger, more robust beauty business than most other luxury houses. A few years ago, I was at the first ever Chanel counter in a Shoppers Drug Mart (Bayview Village location for those in TO) when it opened. I spoke to the Chanel artist and the rep that were there. They said at the time that the "Beauty Boutique" concept for Chanel was a trial run and would expand if successful - obviously it worked. They also mentioned that The Bay does huge volume for Chanel beauty. One of the biggest in North America and they were actually surprised SDM got Chanel too but it was likely due to phase out in Sears. I suspect that has a lot to do with why Sephora Canada doesn't have the line. 

Most of the luxury brands sold at Sephora in NA are actually owned by Sephora's parent company (Dior, Guerlain, MJ) or 3rd party licenses (Givenchy, YSL, Burberry). It's not as territorial. A few years ago, Sephora signed a deal with Estee Lauder which is why you now see a greater presence of EL, Clinique, Tom Ford, Bobbi Brown and soon MAC. EL had declining department store sales in recent years so that was likely why they opened to Sephora. Maybe if Chanel noticed a flat or downward trend, we'd see it at Sephora. Frankly, given the choice between SDM or any other retailer, I always pick SDM for the superior rewards system. I pretty much buy all Chanel and Guerlain through Beauty Boutique online. I only shop at Sephora for exclusive bundles or brands that I can't get at SDM (still quite a lot of stuff lol).

CHANEL in Sephora?

They sell Chanel at SDM? I switch foundations and Chanel is on my rotation, I didn't realize I could get it there. I always went to Holt.

RE: CHANEL in Sephora?

@GG84 You can also get Chanel at The Bay, that’s where I usually buy Chanel products! 💕

Only certain store locations sell the  cosmetic and skincare products, but most products are available online on the SDM beauty website 🙂 

Ahhh I never shop online with them, I figure theres one every 5km if I'm out of something I just stop and pick it up. 

RE: CHANEL in Sephora?

I think it would be nice if Sephora and Chanel Beauty could have worked out a deal for North American distribution but I’m sure there is a business reason why Chanel is limited to parfumés at Sephora US. As someone already mentioned in this thread Sephora does sell Chanel makeup in many countries. I have been buying Chanel makeup from Sephora in France for years and years. Hopefully one day Sephora shoppers in the US will be able to buy Chanel beauty as well
Anonymous Insider

I agree, Sephora should carry Chanel makeup! I wear Chanel since I switched from Dior. I realized I was wearing the wrong color and Dior didn't have the right color, in fact very few had the right color for me, so I went to Chanel and I'm delighted with them! I wear Sublimage le Teint Cream foundation and they have the BEST lipsticks ever, especially the crayons. Maybe Sephora shouldn't carry it, I'd spend even more money here!

Maybe I'm wrong but I think Chanel makeup is sold at Sephora in Europe. If that's true I don't really see a reason why they aren't selling in US. Personally on one hand I would love it because I would like points from purchasing at Sephora but on the other hand I like to shop at department stores because they always give me 3-5 skincare samples. The only place I know that give extra discount (on special occasions) on Chanel makeup is Lord&Taylor and it's usually 10%. 

Yes, you absolutely right! Sephora selling Chanel make up in Europe.

And I think that you can easily buy Chanel make up with discount in Saks, when they sending out there coupons

Hi, lately I have been looking to buy the perfume Chanel No. 5 at a Jean Coutu drugstore in Montreal because I have received a store gift card. I asked the woman working at the cosmetics department when the next big sale on perfumes was so I could get it cheaper and she told me that Chanel is "never sold discounted" as a company rule and even the holiday packages (perfume, lotion) are never on sale.

I personally think that Chanel cannot be (or don't want to be) at Sephora because they would have to be specifically excluded from all the big (or small) insider sales (april and nov) all the times because of that rule. What do you guys think?

Rarely. Maybe 3 times a year will they participate at 15% max. 

I doubt that's the reason - it's sold at Macy's, Saks, Neiman Marcus, etc., all of which have discount codes on a pretty regular basis.  I think Chanel is usually (always?) excluded from the promos there

I always wonder why they never carry beauty products!! It will be nice to try out their makeup in Sephora than department stores like Nordstrom or NM.

Since Tom Ford and La Mer has come to Sephora (way more expensive than Chanel), I don't see why not. Voting for Chanel to come to Sephora!

I agree! Chanel would be fantastic, since it's comparable to the brands you listed.

@Miradan @sylviaerlix Chanel is still a privately held French company (which is a rarity these days).  So, no one truly knows the inner workings or their vision/direction of the company as they are not required to publicly publish any reports. One thing is for sure, they are very big on the idea of "exclusivity".  Maybe one day Sephora will again have the makeup line.  Speaking personally, I haven't really been feeling the last few collections  launched with the current cosmetics director, Lucia Pica.  

Conversation Stats
testing