Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Best Hair Ever

Suggestions for seborrheic dermatitis?

My daughter had cradle cap for a brief period as a baby, and I treated it with coconut oil and nightly soft brushing. Apart from that, she’s always had a healthy scalp. Until recently.

This afternoon I was glancing at her hair and thought she had lice, but it was dandruff!! Upon further inspection, there were a few small patches with the dreaded crate cap! I had no idea older kids and adults could get this!

Before I crack out the coconut oil, I’m open to alternatives. She isn’t a baby, and with her waist length hair I just don’t think it’s the best option.

I’m always styling her hair and we rarely use styling products, so I’ve no idea how I didn’t notice this sooner. I think I caught it early enough that it’s not really a big problem, but I’d love some suggestions of how to treat it without having to wash globs of coconut oil out of her hair.

Thanks I’m advance

Re: Suggestions for seborrheic dermatitis?

"Bea's Bayous - Scalp Solution" is pretty amazing stuff, and I reccommend it highly!  It helps keep my scalp in check so I don't have to use crazy prescription stuff.

You can get it on amazon I believe, or go on the Bea's Bayou website.

I hated the Ketaconazole cream the doc ordered.  It did very little and you can't even use it long term.  Just chemicals, and if you get it in your eye forget it... you'll end up in the ER like I did.

For Seb Derm facial problems: "Manuka Honey" Seborrheic dermatitis cream is great.  Also available on amazon.

Rosehip oil is also amazing.  Just make sure it is not accompanied by ingredients that are not SebDerm friendly.

@Over40Glam I’ve been dealing with dandruff most of my adult life. Here is what I’ve been doing for the past few years to keep it under control. 

Please note I tried a lot of different things but noticed and was told by my dermatologist to stay away from chemicals. 

- make sure she’s not scratching her scalp. It will get worse and irritated. If she did so it’s important you wait until the scalp heals before proceeding with the following steps. 

- you can still use coconut oil on her scalp but I would use it as an oil treatment before shampoo (apply on scalp and hair and let it sit for some time under a shower cap)

- wash her hair with Dr Bronner liquid soap. The tea tree version will help with scalp issues. I’ll suggest you dilute the soap with water at first to see how she reacts to it as the soap is very concentrated.

- use a natural conditioner and masque to detangle and make the hair more manageable as the dr bronner soap can be a bit drying. I’ve been using the coconut milk conditioner from Alba  Botanica. 

- last step is apple cider vinagre rinse. It will clear the scalp and keep it healthy and free of any residue. Dilute a bit of ACV with water in a bottle. Apply to the scalp, massage and let it set for few minutes. Rinse it all out. The smell goes away after you rinse. 

Once again DO NOT use the Dr bronner or the ACV rinse on irritated scalp. It will be very unpleasant for her. 

This is a pretty long hair care regimen but it keeps my scalp clear. I am not sure what hair type your daughter has but both the dr bronner soap and the ACV work wonderful for the scalp but can be drying for the hair. I have big 4C hair, I only wash my hair once to twice a week and would make sure to use a good moisturizer to style my hair and  avoid excessive drying.

This is what works for me. If you feel like her scalp is not getting better after few weeks I would recommend to see a dermatologist. It is not an easy issue to deal with and I know how frustrating it can be. Hope that helps 😉

Anonymous Insider

@SaranhDee 

what about for seb derm issues like on the face, chest, back, etc (any non scalp areas of the skin)? I also have seb derm on the scalp but also on the skin of my face, chest, shoulders, and back... I use prescribed ketoconazole shampoo on scalp and face, and it helps somewhat, along with tea tree dandruff shampoo and oil, and I also use hyalur. acid cleanser and lotion, and this is the best combination that has worked for me for hydration of the face, but it still hasn’t gotten me back to almost clear healthy skin.. so do you have any suggestions? 

@Anonymous 

How long have you been doing this treatment?

I never had the issue on the face, chest and back (for those areas mother nature switched to acne, which is equally annoying but different).

I know using too many things at the same time can cause irritations and breakouts. 

I would focus on the treatment for now (specially if you haven’t been doing it for long). Skin works in cycles, yours might need a bit more time to regenerate and for the treatment to fully work. 

In the future if you wanted to incorporate new stuff I would suggest the dr bronner tea tree. I used it on the face and back before. It helps with skin issues in general. it’s concentrated so you can dilute to your liking. You could also use aloe Vera gel on a cotton pad after washing you face and before moisturizing. It will smooth the skin and help with inflammation. Make sure your skin is well moisturized. 

Conversation Stats
  • 4 replies
  • 5 Hearts Given
  • 4 Contributors
testing