Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Best Hair Ever
|

Styling product recommendation?

Whenever I style my thin, color treated hair, it always ends up looking fried to no end. I use coconut oil after flat-ironing/curling, but that only makes it look greasy unless I use an amount that doesn't even make a difference. I have used Bed Head AfterParty which kind of works, but I am wondering is there something I should be using before I style while my hair is still damp? 

Recommendations for great styling products to make my hair shiny & frizz-free, please!

Re: Styling product recommendation?

@miidge I'm passionate about frizz control.  Here's what I post in the Frizz Fighters group:

Spoiler
Shampoo: Use a moisturizing shampoo. Many BICers use sulfate-free. I recently discovered Pureology Hydrate and I mix it with a little John Frieda Beyond Smooth with Pure Coconut Oil (JF has sulfates)

Conditioner: I am in love with Biolage Hydrasource Conditioning Balm. Other good ones are DevaCurl One Condition (popular with BICers), Phytojoba and Neutrogena Triple Moisture (the one in the tub - very affordable).

Serums: Silicone serums are very important in fighting frizz, in my opinion. My favorite is Paul Mitchell Super Skinny Serum. I also use it with Phytodefrisant to give my hair more slip when blow drying with a brush. I recently starting using It's a 10 Miracle Leave-In Product and have been impressed so far (I rec spraying it into your hair).  It's important to just squeeze water out of your hair, then apply the serum - do not towel dry unless it is a microfiber towel.

If you flat iron, I really suggest a flat iron spray. It really helps keep away the frizz. I am currently obsessed with Paul Mitchell Hot Off the Press.

Hair oils: Hair oils can do a lot to make your hair more manageable, and less prone to frizz. My fave is Matrix Oil Wonders. Other good ones are Alterna Kendi Oil and Josie Maran Argan Oil. You can use them as a treatment, in with conditioner, as a styling aid, or on dry hair (I use it this way to help with frizz).

Anti-frizz spray: I recently discovered Living Proof Humidity Shield and it really helps! I use it every morning!

Hair masks: Also good for maintaining hair health - or at least the appearance of it! My favorites have been discontinued, so I don't have any recs for you.

Dry shampoo: I highly rec this, as it will allow you to wash/dry your hair less, which means less damage. I like Klorane and Alterna.
Anonymous Insider

miidge wrote:

Whenever I style my thin, color treated hair, it always ends up looking fried to no end. I use coconut oil after flat-ironing/curling, but that only makes it look greasy unless I use an amount that doesn't even make a difference. I have used Bed Head AfterParty which kind of works, but I am wondering is there something I should be using before I style while my hair is still damp? 

Recommendations for great styling products to make my hair shiny & frizz-free, please!

Hello!My mother has the same type of hair. Coconut oil for thin hair will definitely make your hair look oily so I don't suggest using that after flat ironing or curling. Unless you absolutely have to do it I suggest to not use any more heat on your hair as your hair is really thin it's going to damage your hair a lot and it will lead to breakage. 

My mother has the same type of hair. Coconut oil for thin hair will definitely make your hair look oily so I don't suggest using that after flat ironing or curling. Unless you absolutely have to do it I suggest to not use any more heat on your hair as your hair is really thin it's going to damage your hair a lot and it will lead to breakage. 

My mother has the same type of hair. Coconut oil for thin hair will definitely make your hair look oily so I don't suggest using that after flat ironing or curling, maybe putting a small amount at the ends of your hair and running your fingers through will help while your hair is still wet. Unless you absolutely have to do it I suggest to not use any more heat on your hair as your hair is really thin it's going to damage your hair a lot and it will lead to breakage. Also, before styling hair with a tool that needs to be heated make sure your hair is completely dry because putting that amount of heat on your hair while it is still wet will break and fry your hair. Hair masks will work well, argan oil hair masks are very good for rejuvenating broken dry or damaged hair. Use these while your hair is still damp and then wash them out. Usually, hair masks are not that expensive. I also suggest looking for products specifically for damaged hair, and also products that give you more volume. Using products for wet or damp hair is usually best so your hair can absorb these products. But if it's your ends that are really damaged I suggest cutting at least two inches, this allows your hair to grow and it really shows a difference with the health of your hair. Also, avoid bleaching or dying your hair any more times or else your hair will become worse over time.  In this case, taking a long break from using heating tools in order to repair your hair. 

I hope this helps! 

-Kaitlyn D

Styling product recommendation?

I have fine, color treated hair. My hair used to be rather fly away and dry. A stylist suggested I use morrocan oil, applying in the shower after washing my hair. After washing, I squeeze the water out and apply two pumps of the oil. I also put the Redken anti snap leave-conditioner on my hair and comb through. Then I spray on Kenra blow dry spray, then blow dry my hair. I use a flat iron or curling iron almost every day. These days, stylists always say they can't believe what great condition my hair is in.

@miidge the Alterna 10 in 1 CC hair cream is really great for hydrating damaged/dry hair. It makes it so smooth, shiny, and workable. I also notice my hair gets less tangled throughout the day when I use it. It don’t weigh my hair down or make it look greasy, and it smells really great! If your hair still needs some hydration after styling, I recommend the Verb ghost oil. It’s lighter and less greasy than coconut oil, you only need a small amount, rub it between your fingers and rub your fingers through your hair from the ears down focusing on the ends. Hope this helps 🙂 

Conversation Stats
  • 4 replies
  • 6 Hearts Given
  • 5 Contributors
testing