Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Best Hair Ever
|

Replacement for Matrix Oil wonders Rose shampoo

This was my holy grail, far above anything else I've ever used. It's discontinued. Two ingredients that stand out when I look at the Oil Wonder Rose list are salicylic acid and rosehip oil. 

Why it was great: this shampoo calmed my scalp and I had no flakes (has never happened) the day after washing, and my hair also felt clean and light and soft, not heavy. No buildup over time where I'd have to rotate to a different option.

I seem to have a scalp that reacts badly to most shampoos over 24/48 hours, and I have fine but very dense hair where oil, dirt and heavy moisturizers show up quickly, so I have to wash about 2-3x per week. Other than that my hair itself seems healthy/normal and I'm not in need of repair or excessive moisture. I air dry and typically don't use product on it.

What hasn't worked:

I can't wash daily as it overdries and irritates. I have not had luck with co-washing in the past as even when clean my hair looks piecey/wet. Washing 3x/week or so seems to be my sweet spot, but that tends to leave the interval days of dryness and some itchiness and flaking. I love the idea of dry shampoo but in the past it has not helped my hair look or feel cleaner. Oil treatments make my scalp look dirty and feel itchy (love them on my face). Shampoo bars with ACV rinse, and sulfate shampoo bars, didn't really help. I have not yet found a moisturizing-billed shampoo that doesn't seem heavy or dirty the day after, or that doesn't just make my scalp mad as usual.

Sulfate-free stuff billed as gentle/organic (for example, several carried at Whole Foods) seem on par with drugstore brands for how many flakes I get the next day--every drugstore brand I've ever tried produces these as well (grew up using Pantene, Garnier, etc.). One Aveda rosemary blend was okay but over time not sure it kept my hair clean.

Matrix and Biolage don't seem to make anything that would obviously compare to the discontinued option. The suggested replacement is Matrix Total Results Moisturizing, which doesn't seem accurate at all. Has anyone found a good sub for this?

Re: Replacement for Matrix Oil wonders Rose shampoo

@TestSubjectSN - You might want to look into Avalon Organics.  They have several different shampoos including rosemary shampoo and dandruff shampoo with salicylic acid and rosemary.  These products are available in my local health food store as well as on Amazon.  They discontinued the one I used.

The shampoo I keep going back to for my dry itchy scalp is Verb Ghost Weightless Shampoo 32 oz/ 946 mL and I also use The Ordinary Natural Moisturizing Factors + Hyaluronic Acid Scalp Serum 60ml .

Thank you for the recommendations! I will try the Avalon you mentioned--the high aloe is making me think it might be pretty mild and not super heavy.

I will also put the Verb shampoo on my list--it seems to float up in some other threads asking about this kind of thing. How often do you use the scalp serum? Do you have a routine or do you do it whenever?

I also found a product called Derma-E which seems to help a lot of finicky scalps. Also salicylic acid. Washed with it once so far and seems like it might be a good option when I need to calm my scalp down. Not necessarily a daily shampoo, though.

@TestSubjectSN Hmmm...last I knew Matrix was owned by L'Oreal.  You might want to explore what other brands L'Oreal owns, and take it from there.  Their other brands might have something similar.  

Looks like as of 2016 they owned Garnier, Kiehl's, Shu Uemura, Redken (I do like this brand!), Kerastase, Pureology.

If you are looking for your HG shampoo, I also rec checking eBay, Poshmark and Mercari.

Good luck!  Let us know how it goes!  🙂

Thanks for the suggestions--had no idea (but guess I'm not surprised) to see all those brands belong to L'Oreal.

I did pick up a travel size of a type of Biolage and one of Pureology. I'm a little hesitant to stay in the Matrix brand as I don't necessarily like them in and of themselves, but if the two above don't work might just have to try to tick it off the list.

Thanks also for pointing out some of those auction/secondhand sites. I think my timing was terrible as it was already discontinued when I got to the end of my second bottle. By the time I realized it was gone I couldn't find it in stock anywhere--I did a couple of orders from smaller vendors that ended up cancelled. And I do still see one or two listings on ebay but at this point I don't think it's safe to order in terms of shelf life as it's been discontinued at least 2.5 years. They're SO tempting, though!

you can change with the loreal hair spa L’Oreal hair spa nourishing cream bath – 490 g ideal for dry and damaged hair. Description the nourishing formula is based on purified water, a cationic agent and conditioning silicone. The hair gains manageability and softness for healthy – looking hair with beautiful shine. For dual-action on hair and scalp: blend this cream bath with the appropriate scalp concentrate. Direction of use blend a generous amount of the smoothing cream bath with the corresponding scalp concentrate. Apply the blend to shampooed, towel-dried hair. Distribute evenly and massage thoroughly into hair and scalp for 20 minutes. Comb and leave for 10 minutes using a steamer or warm towel. Rinse thoroughly and finalize treatment with the energizing scalp lotion.

5 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 5 replies
  • 10 Hearts Given
  • 4 Contributors
testing